MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Gibson glad to be back at DT for Rams ..

Gibson glad to be back at DT for Rams

BY BILL COATS
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:05 am

Already an unrestricted free agent, Gary Gibson watched from home as the Rams signed veteran defensive tackles Justin Bannan and Daniel Muir. It was getting crowded at the position where Gibson started for the Rams last season.

Still, he wasn't worried. Well, not too worried.

The Rams, Gibson said, assured him that they wanted him back. But a week of training camp had passed, and Gibson still was without a contract.

"With everything up in the air, it was definitely crazy," he said. "You never know where you're going to end up. ... It's always a tough deal when it comes to the business end. You don't want to be sitting out of camp.

"I hoped to end up back with the Rams, and now I'm here."

While he waited, the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Gibson, 29, said he received "a little interest here and there" from other clubs. "But I really see a lot of big things coming out of this team, and I wanted to be back."

Gibson and the Rams finally agreed to terms on Aug. 5.

"He's a good veteran leader, a solid performer and just a good solid player for us," defensive coordinator Ken Flajole said. "He gives us depth and a potential starter at tackle."

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said he likes Gibson's drive.

"He loves the game of football. He's passionate," Spagnuolo said. "He knows our system. He's comfortable with Brendan (Daly, defensive line coach) and the rest of the D-line. ... So we're sure glad he's back.

Gibson has been tossed into the seven-man mix at defensive tackle. In addition to Gibson, Bannan and Muir, Fred Robbins, Darell Scott, Jermelle Cudjo and John Henderson are in camp.

The 53-man roster probably will contain four defensive tackles, so the fight for jobs figures to be strong.

"That's the nature of the game," Gibson said. "I'm really hoping for bigger and better things. I think we've got a lot of good competition, so I think it's going to breed a good team."

Gibson believes that he positioned himself better with his breakthrough season in 2010. He beat out Clifton Ryan for the first-team job and made all 16 starts. In his four previous NFL seasons one with Baltimore, two with Carolina and one with the Rams Gibson had started a total of just five games.

"It's good to get those starts (last season) and really establish a career," Gibson said. "I wish we could've got to the playoffs last year. All in all, it was a disappointment but a good stepping point."

INJURY UPDATES

Wide receiver Donnie Avery returned to practice Wednesday after missing a week and a half while resting his surgically repaired knee.

"It was really more a response to the surgery. Nothing uncommon," Spagnuolo said. "We just figured, why set him back? That's why we shut him down. And I think it was the right thing to do, because I think he'll start to surface now."

Also back on the field were tackle Rodger Saffold (back) and guard Jacob Bell (knee). Wideout Mike Sims-Walker (groin) got limited work.

Running back Steven Jackson missed a second practice with a sore hip, but he said he plans to play in Saturday's preseason game against Tennessee. Also out Wednesday were Cudjo (back) and safety Mikail Baker (knee).

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams have signed running back Chase Reynolds, an undrafted rookie from Montana who was released by Seattle on Monday. To clear a roster spot, the Rams waived running back Eddie Wide, an undrafted rookie from Utah. ... Offensive lineman Roy Watts decided to leave camp. ... Today's practice starts at 11:15 a.m. It is free and open to the public.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Gibson glad to be back at DT for Rams ..

Someone decided to "leave camp"? Might as well get rid of him now.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I do like DT Gibson and was pleased when he re-signed. But in all honesty, the reason he got so many starts for the Rams, was more a case of, the poor competition last year in camp. ! Gibson is a very good back up though, shown some consistency, quite young and been durable.?

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I'm more shocked on the fact that we have John Henderson in camp. Must have missed that one. He and Stroud were an awesome run stopping tandem in Jacksonville. Hope he can do the same here. As for Gibson, I like him. Quality player, if he steps his game up a bit he may find his way from back up to starter

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I do like DT Gibson and was pleased when he re-signed. But in all honesty, the reason he got so many starts for the Rams, was more a case of, the poor competition last year in camp. ! Gibson is a very good back up though, shown some consistency, quite young and been durable.?
    29 years young ... One thing about the Gibster, I can't recall ever seeing him loaf or take plays off. He's got a great motor ..

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I'm more shocked on the fact that we have John Henderson in camp. Must have missed that one. He and Stroud were an awesome run stopping tandem in Jacksonville. Hope he can do the same here. As for Gibson, I like him. Quality player, if he steps his game up a bit he may find his way from back up to starter
    Its not that John Henderson. The one you're talking about is still with the raiders. This is a rookie.