MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Gil Brandt likes what he sees in Rams ..

BY JIM THOMAS

Even for a football team that has lost 65 of its last 80 games, training camp is a time for optimism. And Gil Brandt did nothing to dampen those feelings during a training camp visit to Rams Park.

"I think this team here has a lot of similarities to what Cincinnati had last year," Brandt said. "Iím not going to say theyíre going to move up into the playoffs like Cincinnati did. But I do think this team will experience a jump.

"I think they have a quarterback, they have a running back, they have a much-improved football team is what they have. With those things said, I think Rams fans can expect a lot more wins probably than they had last year."

Brandt, the former long-time personnel executive with the Dallas Cowboys, was in town Tuesday on his training camp tour with SirusXM NFL Radio, along with co-host and former NFL quarterback Jim Miller.

Cincinnati went from 4-12 in 2010 to 9-7 and a wild-card playoff berth last season.

Brandt likes what he sees in the Ramsí 2012 draft class, and believes poor drafting has held the team down in recent years.

"If you look as an example, when they were trading with Denver and Denver got (Jay) Cutler, and they got two players that are no longer in the league _ you just canít have that," Brandt said.

That was a reference to the 2006 draft, when the Rams moved down from the No. 11 overall spot in exchange for the No. 15 overall pick and a third-rounder from Denver.

The Rams used those picks for cornerback Tye Hill and defensive tackle Claude Wroten. Hill last played in the NFL in 2010; Wrotenís last NFL game was in 2007.

"You just canít draft the (Jimmy) Kennedys," Brandt said. "Because those are the guys that should be the mainstays of your team right now."

As for this yearís Rams draft class, Brandt said: "I think they should be put in jail for stealing _ for what they got in the future for moving up and changing with Washington. They have double (first-round) picks coming for the next couple years."

Brandt added: "I love (Michael) Brockers. I think Brockers is going to be one hell of a football player. And I think (Janoris) Jenkins, if he didnít have the problems ó I actually had him rated like my 14th player in the draft."

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Re: Gil Brandt likes what he sees in Rams ..

"I actually had him rated like my 14th player in the draft"

Found that funny for some reason