Thread: Gilyard article

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Gilyard article

He sure isn't talking like a one and done.

Can't lock out Gilyard

UC alum preps for 2nd NFL season

By Spencer Dennis | TNR Contributor
    Published: Sunday, May 8, 2011
    Updated: Sunday, May 8, 2011 13:05

Mardy Gilyard, the most decorated wideout in Bearcat football history and the 99th selection of the 2010 draft, remembers his proverbial "Welcome to the NFL" hit.
    He knows it came in week two against the Oakland Raiders, but not who the culprit was.
    "To [be] honest, I don't even know [who hit me]," Gilyard said. "I just knew it was a truck."
    The former first-team all-American posted a disappointing rookie campaign in which caught just six passes for 63 yards. Gilyard received a signing bonus worth more than $500,000 for signing his four-year, $2.3 million contract with the St. Louis Rams.
    With his near-future secure, Gilyard is focused on crafting his game while avoiding the distractions that come with being a rich, young pro.
    "You have all this money now, all this fame now," Gilyard said. "All of a sudden you're a celebrity overnight and everyone wants a piece of you."
    On the rare occasion that Gilyard does have free time, he prefers the company of veteran teammates. Super Bowl winning defensive tackle Fred "Feezy" Robbins and pro-bowl running back Steven "Jebediah" Jackson.
    "I pluck a lot of veteran's brains," Gilyard said "Fred Robbins, [who won a Super Bowl with the New York Giants], I call him ‘Feezy.' Stephen Jackson, I call him ‘Jebediah' because he looks so old school. These guys are not going to lead me astray because they have the best interest of the team in mind."
    Gilyard has not approached his conditioning any differently because of the looming 2011 lockout including hitting the gym instead of attending draft parties.
    "That [lockout] is too complicated," Gilyard said. "I don't know anything about it."
    While he did not watch the draft, he did take note of the Rams drafting receivers in the third and fourth round.
    "[It's the] same way in college. You have freshman that come in every year," Gilyard said. "[St. Louis] had a nice draft class and I'm excited for when those guys come in, because we want to win now. That's our mentality."
    Gilyard has been training in a gym —near his home in St. Louis— seven days a week, typically arriving at 7 a.m. His regiment is mainly focused on strengthening an injured wrist that bothered him throughout his first NFL season.
    "I [hurt my wrist] before I even went into rookie camp," Gilyard said. "I slipped and fell back home. It was hurt [pretty bad]."
    He runs at least two miles a day in addition to strength training, jumping rope and agility training. He eats five, six and sometimes seven times a day, and finishes in the evening with half-gassers—a football drill where you sprint the width of the football field and back.
    The only non-football activity that Gilyard makes time for is his charitable foundation: The Gilyard Group.
    Gilyard started the foundation in his first year with the Rams to help children who are presented with adverse circumstances. He formerly volunteered with kids at the Wesley Chapel Mission Center as a student-athlete at UC
    "The basis of my foundation is helping kids that want to help themselves," Gilyard said. "I'm just asking them to try. If they try then I'm able to [provide] that [support that] they need."
    The foundation has organized clothing drives and just gave away its first $1,000 scholarship.
    Gilyard—who attends when items are given out and helps select the scholarship recipient— approaches his philanthropy, like his conditioning, with an all-in attitude.
    "I didn't want to just have my name [on the foundation]; that's not real to me," Gilyard said. "At the end of the day, [the foundation] has my name on it. I want people to know that it's genuine and from [my] heart."

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Gilyard article

good to hear! he needs it,but maybe ...just maybe...

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    "That [lockout] is too complicated," Gilyard said. "I don't know anything about it."
    Lockout? I think he meant [playbook]

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I hope those new receivers light a real fire under him, because even when there is a cap, 500 grand is easy to bring forward if you cut the guy. If he can really dig in and learn the system and become valuable on the outside, I'd have no problem parting ways with Avery or DX.
    I believe!

Trevor is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    lmao, but didn't know he hurt his wrist before training camp even started. Maybe this is the reason why he is lacking. I think it was more of the playbook thing....

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Made my day.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Interesting article ... Robinson would in my mind get cut first, but Gilyard has to be close behind on the chop block. But i think someone noted before that there would probably be 1-2 injuries before the season kicks off so there should be room for Gilyard to give it another crack.

I do like that he never moaned and groaned last year about his wrist when everyone was riding him like a village bicycle.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I think Mardi has the best publicist on the team.
    "The horror"

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    I think Mardi has the best publicist on the team.
    i think some tweeters should hire him then .... " it was a joke " puh leeez.