MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Give the Rams Some Credit ..

By Jason La Canfora | NFL.com
    Give the Rams some credit. They might not end up retaining safety O.J. Atogwe long-term, but they were shrewd and calculated in their approach to his unique free-agent status, and just might be rewarded for it.

Coming off a year in which he was a franchise player, the Rams faced the prospect of paying him $7 million for one season on a high restricted free-agent tender. The option of "renting" him again at that price, on a team coming off a one-win season, was clearly not preferable to them. Ultimately, they were unable to agree to an extension before June 1, so he now is allowed to test the waters in free agency.

But make no mistake, the Rams have benefitted by going through this process now, rather than back in March when free agency began in earnest. In the past few months we have seen many teams essentially spend their budgets already, and many teams have already addressed their safety needs in free agency or in the draft.

That alone has eliminated several prime competitors for Atogwe's services. Well played. Furthermore, the Rams are aware that many teams are hesitant to spend big on the safety position in general. They figured ultimately the market for Atogwe, even if unrestricted, might not be that great. They also knew that a lot of teams signing free agents from other clubs have had it backfire over the years, which might also make others wary.

In the end, free-spending Miami might end up providing the only real competition. The Rams have done well to maintain a strong relationship with the player throughout the negotiating process. They realized the unique hand they were dealt in this uncapped season and, if in the end someone still offers a deal they did not believe the market would bear, then so be it.

But it just might be their offers were the best all along, and still will be. I would not be surprised if that's the case. Give executives Billy Devaney and Kevin Demoff credit for their strategy and acumen navigating the process.

Hmm .. Interesting .. So much for the Rams "insulting" O.J. with a pitiful low-ball offer.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Give the Rams Some Credit ..

It's an intelligent move by the Rams, something we haven't seen in quite some time with the Front Office. I love how people are so quick to throw us under the bus--but now all of a sudden, given the discovery of Billy D's strategy, Spags & Co. are respected. Shocking.

You know what's also shocking? The fact that this team will surprise this year, I can feel it. I'm not saying we're going to the Super Bowl but I think we've made strides this year and at the least built a solid foundation. I think we'll start seeing progress with each week during the regular season. Great job Billy D with the Atogwe situation. Let's hope he'll come to his senses and realize the Rams' offer was always his best option.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Obviously this author has not read any of the astute, well spoken, analysis of some of our posters. Please allow me to sum it up for him...

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Obviously this author has not read any of the astute, well spoken, analysis of some of our posters. Please allow me to sum it up for him...

Very, very funny. Rep to you.
    (P.S. You need to add exclamation points)
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    It's an intelligent move by the Rams, something we haven't seen in quite some time with the Front Office. I love how people are so quick to throw us under the bus--but now all of a sudden, given the discovery of Billy D's strategy, Spags & Co. are respected. Shocking.

You know what's also shocking? The fact that this team will surprise this year, I can feel it. I'm not saying we're going to the Super Bowl but I think we've made strides this year and at the least built a solid foundation. I think we'll start seeing progress with each week during the regular season. Great job Billy D with the Atogwe situation. Let's hope he'll come to his senses and realize the Rams' offer was always his best option.
    Varg6,

I agree with you. I think we will surprise some folks out there this year. I believe we've done a credible job with signing free agents or making trades and the cornerstone of our off-season was a well though-out draft. I would have hoped for a few different players here or there, but these guys seem to know what they're doing. I want to see us sign our picks now and have everyone in camp on-time and get good fortune with absence of injuries. If these things fall into place, we will surprise some teams out there starting with the Cardinals in week 1. As for Otogwe, unless someone like the Dolphins wants to overpay for him go, right ahead. We'll stick to our plan and get it dome another way. Frankly, I think he'll be back with us at a fair price.

Go Rams!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post

even I am not saying that
    Semper Fi!