throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Give Shaw some credit for his aggressive moves

BY JEFF GORDON
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    01/25/2006

In this corner of cyberspace, we were fretting about the direction of the Rams franchise a few weeks back. The death of the Dick Vermeil/Mike Martz era, the demise of the “The Greatest Show on Turf” . . . well, it was pretty unsettling.

Would the Rams revert to pre-1999 mode, when it was arguably the most inept organization in the NFL? Would the franchise return to the bad old days when it played its way out of Orange County and brought a terrible product to St. Louis?

John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt oversaw the Rams during a bleak decade of football. They also steered Vermeil on the proper course after the ’98 season and oversaw the tremendous run of success that followed.

So what would they do now?

React in a proper, aggressive, coherent fashion, as it turned out. Give them credit.

Shaw originally zeroed in on bright young defensive coordinators to replace Mad Mike, whose ’05 implosion may rank as one of the all-time great disappointments in local sports history.

As he started shopping his “A” list, Shaw determined there were some great offensive minds out there as well -– and plenty of veteran defensive coordinators waiting to support them. He realized he could retain his offensive edge and rebuild his defense, too.

Perfect!

In Scott Linehan, Shaw found an energetic, upbeat coach ready to set the right tone in every corner of Rams Park. His largest task is to get everybody -– players, staff, high-level executives -– working in the right direction again.

His big challenge is to be the great unifier, a leader that everybody will get behind.

Can he meet that challenge? Only time will tell. He has never been a head coach before. He will have to learn on the job. His personality and energy must carry him through some of the typical trials every new coach faces.

But Linehan WAS a hot coaching commodity. He generated league-wide bidding on him as an offensive coordinator a year ago. He knew his coaching stock was climbing. If he didn’t take the Rams job, his profile would only grow as he worked under Nick Saban in Miami.

Shaw had to pay him a competitive salary and he did. He also had to allocate the resources to hire a top defensive coordinator and he did, making it possible for Linehan to land former Saints head coach Jim Haslett.

That was a terrific move. We all know about Haslett’s intensity. Rams Nation came to hate the guy when the Saints rivalry boiled over. The NFC’s realignment took the steam out of the terrific Martz-Haslett ego clash.

When fans hate a guy, he must be doing something right –- and Haslett did a terrific job maintaining hard-hitting defenses in New Orleans.

He comes to St. Louis to regroup after arguably the most difficult season any NFL coach has had to endure, due to the damage wrought by Hurricane Katrina. He and another new staffer, Rick Venturi, bring invaluable experience to the Rams organization.

They bring presence and credibility to the coaching staff. Linehan is secure enough in his own leadership ability to recruit strong personalities to Rams Park.

If Haslett can rebuild this defense in short order, he will position himself for a head coaching gig elsewhere. That is his obvious objective -– and Linehan isn’t threatened by it. As Bernie Miklasz wrote, we have already learned a lot about the new head coach.

Shaw stands ready to strengthen the overall football operation. He wants to give Linehan a strong pro personnel director to work with, too. Candidates for that post are lining up for interviews.

The last three weeks have been instructive. Shaw did an impressive job with his coaching search. He had a good plan and he executed in a deliberate, yet timely, fashion. The pieces are coming together quickly.

Once all the people are in place, it will be fun to chart the progress of the organization. Will everybody accept their roles and work together? Will the chemistry between Zygmunt, Linehan, the coaches, the general manager and the new personnel guy meld quickly?

Will Rams Park become a happier, energized and more-focused operation? Will the new organization run so well that we won’t have to needle Shaw for spending so much time in Los Angeles?

Time will tell, but so far Shaw deserves the highest possible praise for three weeks of very good work. If he wants to retreat to SoCal for some R &R, it’s fine with us.

bigredman Guest

Re: Give Shaw some credit for his aggressive moves

I give Shaw an A for his hire. The only other candidate that I would have liked to have seen is the OC of Pittsburgh. The hire of Haslett was genius. As I have stated, I don't care much for the OC hire, but hell, lets see what happens. At least Shaw didn't pull a Green Bay or Detroit. Those HC's are a joke.

coy bacon Guest

I want all of you Ram fans to sit up and take notice.

This article by Gordon is the sort of drivel that professional sports writer HAVE to do to earn a paycheck.

Many of us have commented on the stupidity and ignorance exhibited by paid sports columnists. That is because they have to make a buck. Just as each of us put in un-inspiring days at the office, or job, so too, these poor writers have to turn out paper, whether their heart is in it or not. And, this article is typical of the crap you will get.

Blankman17 Guest

Coy,

Been there. Done it.

Edit: Well...not that stupidily, at least, but I have gotten my fair share of hate mail.

bigredman Guest

Boy, is someone seeing his dreams of being a sports writer fading away like the steam from the french fry cooker at the McDonald's he's working at? Lighten up dude!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

As some of you are well aware, I have very little time for Shaw and his throat slashing minions. I won't bore you with any further invective.

Gordon and Miklasz seem to have fundamentally changed their tune since the departure of Martz regarding Shaw and the front office. It's this lack of consistency which worries me along with the fawning sycophantic way it's been carried out.

The only explanation I can offer is that they desperately hoping that by giving SHAWGMUNT a positive spin, they will, as local sportswriters, gain a scoop on the next round of hirings.

Miklasz' irritation at Clark Judge breaking the Linehan story is a case in point.

The only exception to this shameless behaviour has been Burwell who has remained fairly objective. Pity the goons who inhabit the P-D board who lampoon him as a garden gnome can't see it.

rampete Guest

spin-doctors have always been around and will be, as long as we don't bother to think for ourselves...

coy bacon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Boy, is someone seeing his dreams of being a sports writer fading away like the steam from the french fry cooker at the McDonald's he's working at?

Now that! is a metaphor I can appreciate. That brings a smile to my face.

Keep writin that kinda stuff Bigred. You'll make me forget about my lost friend Blacktrout.

And no, I don't wanna be a sports writer. They don't make enough money. They do get a great share of notoriety, but that doesn't offset their compensation.

And Fat Pang, I gotta agree with you about the professional writers' motives behind their "fawning, sycophantic", tone. Hey, kiss some butt, stroke their egos, make them feel good about themselves. It does work more often than you think. Great salesmen do it every day.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Considering you're all here talking about his column, I'd say that Gordon has done his job. They aren't paid to be right, they're paid to generate interest and sell papers. The Rams football staff is paid to be right.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Ah,....I don't expect them to be right, but I would like them to be consistent.

A little honesty in their heresy would sweeten the pill a liitle.

They are there to inform and generate discussion. But when the discussion is about them, I'm not sure that's what they are aiming for.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I've watched Shaw since day one ! Since he came to the RAMS he overall has done a good to fair job , He is well liked and respected in the NFL and he knows the football biz WELL ... (with that said) his problem has been lack of leadership at times and I'm not a big fan of shaw ! but he knows what to do and how to do it its a matter of when to do it , Thats the leadership that I'm talking about I like completely understand the whats been mentioned above , In being far I believe that the content is well stated and makes sense and would have to agree with the article (Nice post my friend)
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -01-28-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Blankman17 Guest

I'm currently in J-school (oh golly gee, aren't *I* special?) and I gotta say, I have other business opportunities. I am more than happy just writing to write and being able to say what I want to say (being the optimist that I am) without restriction and doing so for free, thank ya very much.

Tony Soprano Guest

Hard to fault what they've done with Linehan and Haslett.

It's a good start.

RealRam is offline Registered User

After getting rid of Coach Martz (a business decision I rejected), Shaw came through with some promising moves. Okay, I can live with that ... more or less.

I just wouldn't like to have lunch with him, regardless of the fancy place and his picking up the tab.