moloch41 is offline Registered User

Glad Avery Hasn't Been Playing...

Seriously, let's write up some more plays for Dante Hall and Dane Looker. The draw plays to Leonard were a nice wrinkle for this offense too.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Glad Avery Hasn't Been Playing...

People that had a problem with the avery pick should feel better. He clearly has a great future with the Rams, which is certainly more than can be said for leonard or Klop, the preceding #2 picks.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

btimsah Guest

I guess considering our coaching staff and front office, Avery was a good pick. But their such idiots it never ocurred to them they might need his speed and explosiveness before week 4 and even then it was out of desperation. They also never realized that in this conservative offense we only have 2 recievers on the field so in order for him to get a lot of playing time he'd have to be WR #2. So anyways.. yeah. Linehan is gone.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Avery played week 3 and 4. He had a knee injury and was unable to play weeks 1 and 2.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Avery played week 3 and 4. He had a knee injury and was unable to play weeks 1 and 2.
    He played with very limited time in week 3 and only seemed to play the first half in this game. Burton was available in Weeks 1 and 2 and didn't see the field hardly at all.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    It seems many have short memories RebelYell.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Avery sure didnt start in week 3 and i agree he played very little in that game. Hall and Looker were both on the field with holt many many times with avery on the bench and that makes no sense at all

ramming speed to all

general counsel

39thebeast is offline Registered User

We need to go with a total youth movement because the vets are obviously not getting it done at least the young guys will get some experience.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    We need to go with a total youth movement because the vets are obviously not getting it done at least the young guys will get some experience.

Well, Hall and Looker are not getting it done.

Holt is constantly doubled team. Having a speedster like Avery will help a few other players get open. Its really making me mad that Avery is constantly on the bench and not the field.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

It's clear that if there is any hope for this team, it is that Avery and Burton get on the field together and add a ton of speed to this offensive unit for many years to come.

The play to Looker at the beginning of the Seahawks game was a very clear indicator that this coaching staff does not know how to use the talent it has. A go route to Dane Looker? C'mon, how is that not Avery on that play? We score a TD if it was.

Although there are numerous things about this coaching staff that justify termination, there are 2 that, by themselves, warrant firing:

Dante Hall: No need to clarify.

The fullback situation: Hedgecock, and the revolving door of FB's/TE's for 3 years. There should not be so much movement at this relatively insignificant position.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    It's clear that if there is any hope for this team, it is that Avery and Burton get on the field together and add a ton of speed to this offensive unit for many years to come.

The play to Looker at the beginning of the Seahawks game was a very clear indicator that this coaching staff does not know how to use the talent it has. A go route to Dane Looker? C'mon, how is that not Avery on that play? We score a TD if it was.

Although there are numerous things about this coaching staff that justify termination, there are 2 that, by themselves, warrant firing:

Dante Hall: No need to clarify.

The fullback situation: Hedgecock, and the revolving door of FB's/TE's for 3 years. There should not be so much movement at this relatively insignificant position.
    Yet another Front office/coaching screw up b/c ole' hedgecock looks good w/ the Giants.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    The play to Looker at the beginning of the Seahawks game was a very clear indicator that this coaching staff does not know how to use the talent it has.
    I believe that's exactly the problem. This team has more talent than given credit for, or the record would indicate. The prime example is the use, or misuse of our second round draft picks the past 3 years.

Regardless of the fact that one of them was the clear wrong choice at the time in lieu of the offensive linemen available, and the other became a bad pick when we signed a better player to start in his spot a year later.

Nobody's doubting that these are three very talented players. Look at the highlights from what Leonard can do. Look at how consistent Klop was in college. Avery's TD today. But what's happening, and I consider this a paradigm for the entire roster, is that they are not being employed to maximise their own potential. Klopfenstein isn't a blocker. He's a big, handsy body. Use him like it. Leonard purports to be as versatile as they come. Use him as an all purpose H-Back. Avery looks like he has the speed and the skill set to worry opposing defenses. Put him in position to do so.

One thing's for certain: they can't make an impact riding the bench.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -09-29-2008 at 01:37 AM.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Do we have a fullback that could lead block??? I was just curious what we could get for leonard.

Avery is a stud and I do understand from a coaching standpoint limiting him when he is coming off an injury. Today the trigger was pulled and the kid balled. Any receiver that has that speed and hands could be developed look at Desean JAckson. Im looking foward to seeing more from this young man. I really hope Holt takes him under his wing as Bruce did for him.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I guess considering our coaching staff and front office, Avery was a good pick.
    I think he was a good pick regardless of who our coaching staff or front office has. He's shown the ability to make plays in what limited time he's had on the field.

Remember, this as a guy who was knocked as a prospect for not being a good route runner, not having good hands, and was coming from a gimmicky offense. On top of that, he's playing at receiver. The stars were aligned for a tough learning curve, but he's shown some promising flashes in only two games.

That being said, the majority of the credit for the pick probably goes to Devaney as much as it would anyone else, I would think. I hope he's a guy who gets a fair look by new management if/when the changes up top are made.

He shouldn't be patting himself on the back for Avery quite yet, as the youngster still has a lot to prove over the years. But so far he's looked capable.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

The other thing to bear in mind when assessing the impact of draft picks is the reluctance of an under pressure coach to take a risk. Whilst I'm not saying that its something I condone its certainly something I understand.

Releasing Bruce was a cardinal error in my opinion with Bennett thus far being an appalling failure in a Rams Uniform. Replacing him with younger talent would have been a preferred option but then I',m probably being unfair in using hindsight here. The Hedgecock decision had me shaking my head when it was made and I've had little cause to change my mind. Klopf wasn't given sufficient chance and neither has Leonard been given a fair crack, so their careers are far from over in my view.

Criticism of Avery came from hysterical draft pundits with an inability to see past a stat sheet or their own gushing prognosis of the accepted 'big names'. On a better team we may have seen more of him but then we may well have seen less as better teams have deeper rosters, so I think he's played as much as you could reasonably expect a 2nd round pick to play in his first season. I think people look at what DeSean Jackson did to us in the first game and what Royal (?) has done and assume that Avery should as a consequence have played more. I'd prefer to say that we've what we've seen thus far and with his injuries hopefully behind him we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the future.

I'd also like to see Scheuning and Greco at some point given our interior struggles and an interim with little pressure on him to pile up wins might well be tempted to give some of these guys a spin.

So whilst we aren't well-stocked I think we have more than a couple of reasons for hope.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -09-29-2008 at 03:28 AM.