throwback week

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Glad To Hear This

Avery and Robinson are healthy, which is good news for Rams

By Jim Rodenbush

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Donnie Avery is healthy. Laurent Robinson is healthy. And while the 2010 season opener is more than three months away, this could be potentially great news for the St. Louis Rams offense.

Both wide receivers are at 100 percent entering the second week of organized team activities at Rams Park. For Avery, that meant bouncing back from a series of nagging injuries that plagued him throughout 2009. For Robinson, it meant a full recovery from a fractured leg and ankle sprain that ended his 2009 season after only three games.
    Together, the pair represent arguably the team’s best down-field receiving threats. In fact, they recorded the Rams’ two longest catches in ’09: Avery with a 50-yard reception against Indianapolis, and Robinson with a 45-yard grab in the season opener at Seattle.
    “We can both take it deep,” Avery said following practice Monday. “So, that’ll be a plus.”
    Though Avery played all 16 games last season, he was bothered by a laundry list of injuries. His most serious injury came in the preseason, when he suffered a stress fracture in his left foot. He returned in time for the season opener, but then experienced problems with his ribs, hamstring, hip and shoulder.

This offseason, Avery started a weight lifting program and changed his diet. As a result, he has added around 15 pounds of muscle and gotten rid of the nagging pain.
    “It’s about playing healthy,” he said. “Staying on the field, staying in the weight room, working with the trainer. Just staying healthy. Healthy is happy for me.
    “I feel a lot better now. I absolutely feel the difference.”
    Avery had 47 receptions for 589 yards and five touchdowns in 2009. Avery, who will be 26 next month, is entering his third NFL season and second under coach Steve Spagnuolo and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. He described himself as “more comfortable” because of his familiarity with the team’s offense.
    “It’s a different approach mentally,” he said. “You know what you’re going to get game day. You know what opens up, and how to get open during the season. You know what kind of coverages teams play against this type of offense.”
    Avery hopes to double his touchdown total in 2010 and said he looks forward to being a deep threat once again.
    “My first year, we exploited (that),” he said. “This year, I feel like we’re going to get back to it.”

As for Robinson, he was among the Rams’ best receivers during the early part of last season. He recorded 13 catches for 167 yards and a touchdown before he suffered his injury Sept. 27 against Green Bay.
    “It was extremely frustrating,” he said. “A part of me felt like I let the team down. It was a rough season, just watching it and not being able to participate with my teammates. It was frustrating, sitting back and watching it on TV.”
    Robinson, 25, came to the Rams by way of a trade with Atlanta before the ’09 season. Entering his fourth season, he said he is eager to make up for the lost time.
    “My expectations are high,” he said. “I’m ready to go out there and do everything I can do to help this team win. When the opportunity presents itself, I’m going to make it happen.”
    Just like Avery, Robinson sees himself as a deep threat for the Rams.
    "Those are the kind of plays we're working on right now," he said. "If we keep making them every day in practice, they'll show up in the games. You can't just flip a switch on training camp. You have to start right now and be consistent."

Robinson is one of 11 wide receivers currently listed on the Rams' roster. As of now, that means a large number of players are battling for just a few spots.
    "I'm excited," Robinson said. "This is what we live for, competition. We're all going to compete amongst the receivers. We're all excited about it. It's an open competition. Just go out there and make plays and let the personnel do what they have to do."

NOTES: Wide receiver Keenan Burton (knee) participated in team drills Monday. … The Rams made five roster cuts before practice, releasing defensive tackle Chris Bradwell, linebacker Simoni Lawrence, wide receivers Nick Moore and Rod Owens, and fullback Kennedy Tinsley. Their roster is now at 91 players.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Glad To Hear This

So many camp reports I know, but I find them too addicting, and think that others here are also addicted.

I feel that Avery might have a very productive season this year. With the muscle and weight gain, and his health being back at 100%, I think we might see a faster, stronger, more consistent Donnie Avery this year.

And with Sam Bradford throwing him the deep ball, watch out.

I hope Robinson can stay healthy, we need this guy. He was a consistent "move-the-chains" receiver everytime he was in the game. Hopefully he can add on to that, and be a force this season.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Do the Rams dare let Avery handle Da Rock on Punt returns & KR again. Remember last years openning day kickoff? Wake me up when the season starts and we see some positive results from our WRs before I can feel confidence in them.
    Its good news to hear that Avery seems to be showing more dedication, but this should have happened last year. Maybe Robinson needs to beef up some more, good receiver, but I don't feel he's strong enough to stay healthy in the NFL as a starter.

By seasons end, Avery and Gilyard will be "Uncle Sam's" main goto guys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thickandthin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Do the Rams dare let Avery handle Da Rock on Punt returns & KR again. Remember last years openning day kickoff? Wake me up when the season starts and we see some positive results from our WRs before I can feel confidence in them.
    Its good news to hear that Avery seems to be showing more dedication, but this should have happened last year. Maybe Robinson needs to beef up some more, good receiver, but I don't feel he's strong enough to stay healthy in the NFL as a starter.

By seasons end, Avery and Gilyard will be "Uncle Sam's" main goto guys!
    I disagree, they will probly be behind Robinson. Where are you getting that we will let Avery be the return man? Don't we have Amendola and Gilyard?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

At the end of the day I truly believe that whoever shines in the preseason, will be the starters. Robinson and Avery will be given every oppurtunity but St this point if they are aren't producing Spags will throw someone in there that will. There is an abundajse of Young talented receivers on this team, hopefully one can step up. Personally I am routing for Avery to fulfill his promise And talent and trump all the people who didn't agree with taking him over desean Jackson. On the same token Like al Davis says just win baby so whoever produces produces just get the job done.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    I hope Donnie sticks to being a receiver, and Amendola and or Gilyard handle kickoff and punt return duties .. As far as predicting how our receivers do this season, like you, I prefer to wait and see.

Mooselini Guest

I am really pulling for Donnie this year. With his added weight and his experience in our offense, he should really be able to pick things up better and just really come into his prime really soon. He's shown us flashes, so lets hope everything work out.

I really like Robinson's chances. But he's been injured every year he's played. Not getting my hopes up. =/

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I see it like this

Split End- 1.Robinson 2. Gibson
    Flanker- 1. Avery 2. Foster
    Slot- 1. Gillyard 2. Amendola