laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Glaring problem with our running game

Steven Jackson gets tired. More than once on Sunday I saw Jackson waving to the sideline to come out of the game for a breather. When he does come out the opposing defense has a distinct advantage. (Brian Leonard has a long way to go)

Example:

With the score 14-6 RAMS, 4:03 left in the second quarter, we have the ball on our own 20, 3rd down and 7. Jackson goes off the field and his replacment is Brian Leonard. Leonard is handed the ball for a 2 yard gain. PUNT!!!
    In my mind no matter how tired Jackson is he needs to stay on the field especially in these types of key situations even if he's used as a decoy.
    I actually caught myself thinking where is Jackson going to the sidelines? Now?!!!

With 5:42 left in the 3rd quarter. Rams 14-13, Jackson does it again. Runs off to the sidelines with our offense facing a 4th and 1 at the Buffalo 28 yard line.
    Fortunately for us Dante' Hall picked up the first down with a 3 yard end around play. Then on the same drive with at the 4:17 mark facing a 3rd and 23. Jackson does it yet again. Runs off to the sidelines. Brian Leonard up the middle for 5 yards!!! Missed 51 yard field goal by Josh Brown.

In my mind 1 of 2 things need to happen if not both. Brian Leonard or someone has to step up to allow Jackson a breather. It's obvious that he's being asked to do to much. Or the me me guy that Jackson seems to be needs to suck it up and recognize when he's needed on the field the most.
    Even if it's only a decoy roll which keeps the defense guessing.

We need that change of pace back that can spell Jackson here and there. It's no secret that the rest of the NFL is doing it. Buffalo did a great job with it in the 2nd half of this game.

Example:

1st HALF

M. Lynch 12 touches, 42 yards.
    F. Jackson 1 touch, 0 yards

2nd HALF

M. Lynch 11 touches, 39 yards
    F. Jackson 9 touches, 55 yards

We need help at the runningback position.
    Last edited by laram0; -09-30-2008 at 09:01 AM.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Glaring problem with our running game

The one time Jackson went off the field his helmet broke when they used Leonard on a draw up the gut so I dont see him staying on the field then. Jackson isnt a me me guy and is our best offensive player. Pittman is a good backup for him and Leonard brings nothing to the table. No running back in the NFL plays every down.
    Just Fix It

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

What I don't understand is why they don't have Leonard bulking up to 240-245 lbs and having him play FB fulltime ...

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    What I don't understand is why they don't have Leonard bulking up to 240-245 lbs and having him play FB fulltime ...

Totally agree and I think he could make a very good Cris Cooley type h-back, used more for blocking and recieving then running the ball.
    Just Fix It