Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A Glaring Stat

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

A Glaring Stat

10 rushing attempts by our running backs total, 10. That's for the entire game. Yes, we were playing catch up most of the time, but you still have to give the running game a chance, or you become one-dimensional and give every advantage to the opposing defense. Pead had 6 attempts, one going for 11 yards, Cunningham had 4, one going for 9 yards, so it's not like we were getting zero production. I'm really at a loss as to what Fisher and Shotty are doing.

If we again completely abandon the running game against the whiners, we'll see a repeat of what happened in Dallas, and Bradford might not be so lucky health wise.

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: A Glaring Stat

Im thinking you answered your own question here.

Playing catch up by not 1 or 2 scores, but 3 early into the game makes it hard to run when one has to put points on the board quickly.

Even before the Rams got down fast, they did try to run the ball with no success on the opening kick off.

Rambos is online now Registered User

My biggest surprise with our running game is the lack of the committee. Stacy had not been up in two games and Drich and or Pead have been getting most of the carries.

Drich will most likely be down this week, so we may see a bigger back approach. That said you have to try and run the ball.

With DT Ian Williams out and Smith out and possibly Patrick Willis out, this Thursday maybe the game to run the ball more.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Im thinking you answered your own question here.

Playing catch up by not 1 or 2 scores, but 3 early into the game makes it hard to run when one has to put points on the board quickly.

Even before the Rams got down fast, they did try to run the ball with no success on the opening kick off.
    You have to utilize the running game to some extent, regardless of the score. If anything, just to keep the opposing defense honest. And as far as trying to run the ball, I didn't see it, and 10 total attempts bears that out.
    mde8352gorams and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Something tells me its not simply the rb's but our offensive line may not be doing their part in clearing the holes/gaps.

Go Rams!
    RealRam, Nick, live4ramin and 1 others like this.

Boozer71 is offline Registered User

I can only imagine what play we will start off Thursday night with. How long did Schotty draw up the beautiful run Austin right up the gut play to start this game.....
    Rambos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer71 View Post
    I can only imagine what play we will start off Thursday night with. How long did Schotty draw up the beautiful run Austin right up the gut play to start this game.....
    It's night and day from preseason lol..... anybody got Dana Holgorsen number? Austin did not come with how to use instruction.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

I think the Rams are following the trend of the rest of the pass happy NFL. This team's best offensive talent is geared toward passing now with Bradford, Cook, Austin, Givens, and Quick. Who's the workhorse RB after Jax left? There is none.

We may have to get used to the fact the Rams aren't going to hand the rock off 25 to 30 times a game. At least not this season. Maybe for many seasons.
    Last edited by SavageRam; -09-23-2013 at 05:20 PM.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Rushing attempts isn't a single stat that tells an entire story. Throwing to the RB and often times the TE or even a screen to a WR has the exact same result. Bradford got the ball 7x to Pead through the air. Need to include those in the total RB activity in my opinion.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rams gained a total of 39 yards rushing? Is this correct?!?

-- RealRam
    When I saw this yesterday after the game I thought, hmm, maybe it's a typo and the number is 139.

But as MDE said it, I too believe our OL is not ready yet to open and pave the way for the RBs. Hopefully this will change Thursday night and 139 yards rushing will be real.

We need to get real!

Glaring Stat: of the 7 punts that Tavon could return, we where called for penalties 6 times. What a waste of a difference maker. He had what a 85 yard TD and a 25 yard return called back Sunday.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-24-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Nick and MauiRam like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    I was at the game and 2 flags were called on blindside plays. nfl is taking the hits out of the game...

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Mike's general point is spot on. There should be some degree of balance to your offense and teams at the very least have to run the ball to keep defenses honest. If we want Bradford killed, keep running the ball 10 times a game.

I'm sure the offensive line plays a role in the lack of productivity from our running backs, but the O-line wasn't terrible in weeks 1 and 2 and the RBs still didn't really distinguish themselves. We need more from them, pure and simple.
    RealRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Mike's general point is spot on. There should be some degree of balance to your offense and teams at the very least have to run the ball to keep defenses honest. If we want Bradford killed, keep running the ball 10 times a game.

I'm sure the offensive line plays a role in the lack of productivity from our running backs, but the O-line wasn't terrible in weeks 1 and 2 and the RBs still didn't really distinguish themselves. We need more from them, pure and simple.
    Might be a bit of bad luck. If you can go back an look at the first game, watch D-Rich play before he gets hurt. He looked like the real deal. Once he hurt his foot he looked slow. Gone was his burst and plant the foot and hit the hole. He played in week two and still look slower IMO. Then you read he's in a walking boot and you know it's bad. He takes two snaps and he re-injured his foot in week three. I think he was never right after he was hurt in week one.

Pead has not looked bad at all catching the ball, but running it he has done very little. It's not like he has had much room to run but still he's not a between the tackles runner IMO.

Stacy not even dressing. This week he will be up D-Rich needs to sit until he 100%. Can Stacy come in and be the inside runner we so desperately need? I had Cunningham ahead of Stacy because he looked faster in camp, but at this point I want to see if a power back can work behind this so, so O line.

I think we will come out in 12 personnel this week and try to run the ball more and stay committed to it. Right now we are a one dimension team and that has to change.
    mde8352gorams and Randart like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Cunningham looks lost out there point blank. Put in Stacy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast