Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Going forward

Rambos is offline Registered User

Going forward

The offense scheme has regressed the play of the O-line. The false starts and formation penalties are a result of not having an off season to get the work in to jell. I'm not saying we need to change it, I'm saying we just need time to get it down. To come in with no OTA's and learn a very complex offense and not have issues would have been great but it's not reality. Bradford has played well at times but also has held the ball to long and taken too many sacks. The Rams said they would keep some of the old offense in early because of the time constrains but I do not see and roll outs like last year or west cost stuff.

What should help us in two weeks we get more work in... The return of Danny and Clayton. Both SJ and Williams should be 100% in two weeks. Still not sure that will be enough to get some wins.

The defense I'm completely lost on where we are right now. We just seem to be getting out coached. The Ravens crossed up Spags and threw early and often. We can't stop the run and we can't get pressure without blitzing. Fred Robbins was a nice surprise last year this year not so much. Our 1st Rd pick in Quinn is not getting too many reps listed as third on the depth charts. The secondary is not going to get healthy until next year. The LB are part of the reason we are getting gashed on cut back runs.

What's going to help us in two weeks... not sure what changes we can make. We added Hood not sure he will have a big impact if any. Do they move Quinn up and let him play more not getting any better on the bench. Long has played ok but still yet to be a force that a team need to stop. Hall is looking old. Justin Bannan has played ok.

If the offense continues to struggle the defense will continue to get over worked and give up points. The Rams need to go back to short dink and dunk passes and ball control with SJ. Bradford can't continue to take a beating and grow as a QB. He is already starting to expect to get hit and he should. Roll Bradford out to get him some more time. The rookie are going to play they need to step it up and catch the ball! Pettis did look very good in the last game maybe Danny and Pettis can give Bradford a safety net. MSW has look really bad and Gibby has all but faded. I would start DX over MSW and or Gibby. Maybe we will see Clayton, DX, Danny and Pettis more going forward.

Special teams coverage has been great! KR and PR really poor, don't think the Rams will put Danny back there any time soon. Jerious Norwood is a return guy not sure why he's not getting used more he did have a nice return that did get called back. Last we had two punt that hit the ground and rolled for 60 plus yards both should have been fair catches.

Coaching this team needs to find a way to get a win, we can't play to pull out a win in the forth quarter. Spags needs to play like we are desperate and we are. Take some chances.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Re: Going forward

This was very well written. No screaming, raging, and demands of HEADS MUST ROLL!" You point out what you think are problems and offer what you think could help to fix it. I posted a similar thread a few days ago. this is the type of post that bring,discussion, as opposed to arguing.

I am also looking to forward to see what they are able to do with 2 more weeks to practice. Not only to get better in the new schemes, and not only to get healthy, but hopefully start to integrate some of the short quick passing game to help keep Sam alive while they work out the rest of the kinks.

I do think it is time to drop MSW down on the receiver depth chart and bump up one of the other receivers. So far as I can recall he has had only one decent game. In all of the other 3 he just can't hang onto the ball. Lack of concentration? Lack of practice time? Bad coaching? Don't know, don't care. So far he has only been a factor 25% of the time and that is just not good enough.

I also agree that we should use Norwood more on returns. Not sure why they aren't but I think that is a coaching decision that is just plain wrong.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quinn has actually played a lot. I see him constantly getting nice pressure. He will be a superstar in this league.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The one thing that has really screwed us the most IMO is the issue of dropped passes. Has this cost us a win or two? I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'd bet they have. That said, with Danny being out, Pettis has a chance to gain some confidence and prove to himself and his teammates that he can play in this league. I still believe he'll be a good player for us - maybe a great one. As Rambos so correctly pointed out, the lack of an off-season really hurt us. I can't understand why Kendricks has so many drops either. Everyone was really high on this guy in training camp and preseason, but now? Who knows, maybe he's "hearing steps."

If just one of our available receivers can step up and become "mister reliable" in Danny's absence it will do a world of good for Sam. One can't help but imagine then what our offense would be capable of with Amendola and Clayton back to boot, and healthy.

The false start penalties can be fixed over the next couple of weeks I would hope anyway. Reps, reps, and more reps. That and make film clips of drive killing false starts with mandatory viewing for the entire offense - everyone would have to be present! Not just the O-line or just the receivers, everyone including Sam and Steven Jackson. There's accountability for you. Give those "clips" ample playing time and then play em again ..

I haven't read much on Norwood lately, but I do remember his position coach who coached him in college recently saying he was definitely not 100% yet as far as the knee he had surgically repaired at the end of the 2010 season. Maybe the bye week will give him the needed time to get back to 100%. I sure would like to see him utilized more in 3rd down situations and on screen passes. My two cents for now anyway ..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The false starts and formation penalties are a result of not having an off season to get the work in to jell.
    I can understand problems with the formations, but I don't see any excuse for false starts. You go on the snap count, easy as that.

Bradford has played well at times but also has held the ball to long and taken too many sacks. The Rams said they would keep some of the old offense in early because of the time constrains but I do not see and roll outs like last year or west cost stuff.
    With the horrible play of the OL, I don't understand sticking with plays that are slow in developing. Bradford just has no time and it looks like he's getting rattled. If there are check downs, I don't see him looking for them. Some kind of adjustment has got to be made or he's goning to be on IR in no time.

What should help us in two weeks we get more work in... The return of Danny and Clayton.
    I'm not sure Amendola will be ready. He aggrevated the injury in practice and there are reports that he'll probably need surgery.

The LB are part of the reason we are getting gashed on cut back runs.
    Agreed. Leber and Poppinga are not getting it done, on any level. They definitely have to pick it up.

The Rams need to go back to short dink and dunk passes and ball control with SJ. Bradford can't continue to take a beating and grow as a QB. He is already starting to expect to get hit and he should. Roll Bradford out to get him some more time. The rookie are going to play they need to step it up and catch the ball! Pettis did look very good in the last game maybe Danny and Pettis can give Bradford a safety net. MSW has look really bad and Gibby has all but faded. I would start DX over MSW and or Gibby. Maybe we will see Clayton, DX, Danny and Pettis more going forward.

I agree that these types of adjustments need to be more a part of the offense as long as the OL continues to struggle. I'd use more of the no-huddle as well, which has worked well so far this season.

If I recall correctly, DX started the game last week.

KR and PR really poor, don't think the Rams will put Danny back there any time soon. Jerious Norwood is a return guy not sure why he's not getting used more he did have a nice return that did get called back. Last we had two punt that hit the ground and rolled for 60 plus yards both should have been fair catches.
    Not having Amendola to return punts is a killer. I don't know what the answer is, but I hope Pettis isn't thrown back into the fire.

Spags needs to play like we are desperate and we are. Take some chances.
    It'll be interesting to see if he loosens up, but his style is conservative and I'm not sure he can change.

BTW, very nice post Rambos.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-04-2011 at 05:38 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I find it pretty funny that last year we all complained about Shurmur going dink and dunk every play refusing to throw the ball deep. This year its why are we going deep?! Check it down.

There is no pleasing you is there Mike?
    r8rh8rmike and Tampa_Ram like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I find it pretty funny that last year we all complained about Shurmur going dink and dunk every play refusing to throw the ball deep. This year its why are we going deep?! Check it down.

There is no pleasing you is there Mike?
    I would love to be able to throw the ball downfield more, but if it means Bradford being taken off the field with a stretcher, not so much. Repeatedly calling deep routes when Bradford has no time to wait for them to develop is a disaster waiting to happen. The offense hinges on OL play, which right now is pathetic.

Now, I expect you to jump all over Rambos as well.

Trammer035 is offline Registered User

I can understand problems with the formations, but I don't see any excuse for false starts. You go on the snap count, easy as that.
    Spags said Bradford was using the hard count on Sunday, to try to get defenders to jump. We got false starts because our guys were the ones fooled by the dummy snap calls.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

With the horrible play of the OL, I don't understand sticking with plays that are slow in developing. Bradford just has no time and it looks like he's getting rattled. If there are check downs, I don't see him looking for them. Some kind of adjustment has got to be made or he's goning to be on IR in no time.

I'm not sure Amendola will be ready. He aggrevated the injury in practice and there are reports that he'll probably need surgery.

If I recall correctly, DX started the game last week.
    Yeah the last thing I want to see is us dinking and dunking fro the next 10 years... but the next few weeks it's all I want to see. Every time Bradford drops back to pass all I say it get the ball out! Then I expect it to hit a WR in the hand and you the rest.

Did not read Danny had a set back bummer. Lets hope Pettis can play like he did last week... expect the punt returns

Did not notice DX started, that's a good thing IMO... Clayton and DX is far more explosive then Gibby and MSW,
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-05-2011 at 08:08 AM.