Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CarolinaRam is offline Registered User

Going to Training Camp...

Hi,

New guy here. I'm planning on heading out to watch a few days of camp this year. I am hoping to get my authentic Faulk jersey signed. Anybody have any experience with getting Marshall's autograph? I've heard different things about him. Just wondering. What about training camp in general? Thanks for any input.

CarolinaRam

ramsmommy is offline Registered User

Re: Going to Training Camp...

I've been to training camp 3 times and every time is different. One year, Marshall signed for virtually everyone in line (both the morning & afternoon practices). And last year, the first day, players disappeared after the morning practice and after the afternoon practice, many of the veterans evaded the fans, while some of the rookies signed. I think it just depends on what kind of day you get. Also, being at the Rams training facility in Earth City, you are going to get a different kind of security. This year is a crap shoot.....

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRam
    Hi,

New guy here. I'm planning on heading out to watch a few days of camp this year. I am hoping to get my authentic Faulk jersey signed. Anybody have any experience with getting Marshall's autograph? I've heard different things about him. Just wondering. What about training camp in general? Thanks for any input.

CarolinaRam
    In my limited experience, I have noticed that players are much more receptive to signing for kids. The only time I've seen adults consistently successful at getting autographs was with a kid at the hip or in their arms. True story: last year, we went to camp and most every player was very cooperative with the fans even though it was 90+ degrees, 90% humidity, and they'd been working for 90 minutes....their patience with the fans was very impressive. Aeneas was there as well, walking the rope, but only signing for kids. My wife had our 6-month old son in her arms, but could only get as close to the line as 4 rows deep, virtually no chance at getting Aeneas' sig. As he stepped even in line with my wife, my usually quiet child let out a loud wail, that caught the attention of Aeneas. He looked in the direction of my infant son and said "somebody is trying to get my attention", and with that, reached past 4 different adults to sign the small football that my son was holding. I can't wait for my boy to be old enough to hear how he got that signature.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I think most players go for the kids when signing. I know Kurt Warner reached past four adults to sign my son's hat (which was actually mine and I still tease him about getting it back!). I know they are all jaded from guys making an income from signatures.

Hubison, I love the baby crying story, that is way cool! And props to Mr. Williams for signing the ball, that's what I love about all of the Rams players, real class.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    In my limited experience, I have noticed that players are much more receptive to signing for kids. The only time I've seen adults consistently successful at getting autographs was with a kid at the hip or in their arms. True story: last year, we went to camp and most every player was very cooperative with the fans even though it was 90+ degrees, 90% humidity, and they'd been working for 90 minutes....their patience with the fans was very impressive. Aeneas was there as well, walking the rope, but only signing for kids. My wife had our 6-month old son in her arms, but could only get as close to the line as 4 rows deep, virtually no chance at getting Aeneas' sig. As he stepped even in line with my wife, my usually quiet child let out a loud wail, that caught the attention of Aeneas. He looked in the direction of my infant son and said "somebody is trying to get my attention", and with that, reached past 4 different adults to sign the small football that my son was holding. I can't wait for my boy to be old enough to hear how he got that signature.
    I can not belive you made your wife pinch your son to make him cry LOL

Anybody have any experience with getting Marshall's autograph
    After thinking about this some more, I may have a theory to give out. Now bear in mind, I have no quantitative evidence, just my qualitative observations, but it seems to me that, for the most part, the bigger a player is, the more likely they are to sign. Now there are certainly exceptions, but I recall the lineman (O&D) being the easiest to get a signature from, even Turley. But for the minority of players that signed just a few or skipped the lines all together, they seemed to be smaller players, DBs, skill players. Of course there are exceptions, Garrett and Looker for example were both very friendly and signed for everyone, but the guaranteed autographs were coming from the big uglies in the trenches. In fact, I've never felt smaller than last year when D-Lew, Pickett & Kennedy were side-by-side signing in front of me. Those three pretty well blocked out the sun until everyone had their autograph.

One signature that you HAVE to get is Pisa. You will never meet a nicer guy, but Garrett, Looker and Bulger all get an honorable mention.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

CarolinaRam is offline Registered User

Hey, thanks for all the input, everyone. I guess I won't put all my stones in one bag and be dissapointed if I don't get the Faulk jersey signed. After all, I'm not driving all that way just for an autograph, right? I would like to get something from Bulger, though. My ex-girlfriend's family (who I'm still friendly with) are all West Virginia alum and loved Marc when he was there. That was one of my common points with her dad early on. It'd be great to get a picture.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Ah, Lucky You !!

Have fun at Camp

And

Welcome to the ClanRam CarolinaRam

and take plenty pictures and post them in the gallery

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRam
    I would like to get something from Bulger, though. My ex-girlfriend's family (who I'm still friendly with) are all West Virginia alum and loved Marc when he was there. That was one of my common points with her dad early on. It'd be great to get a picture.
    My take on Bulger is...he's a Pro Bowl QB with the humility of a 3rd stringer. You shouldn't have a problem with an autograph AND picture from Bulger.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I live 20 minutes from Dolphins camp.

Does anyone have a bong that they'd like me to get Ricky Williams to sign?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

My Son And I Went To Camp Last Year,its Hit And Miss, Bruce Only Signed After The Morning Practice,but For Everyone, Faulk, Well It Depended On His Mood, One Time He Walked By Us , The Next Day He Stopped And Signed, I Also Agree The Big Guys Are Great Signers And Bulger Should Be No Problem,i Had 5 Items Signed By Him,not All The Same Day.holt Was Tough,archuleta Was Really Cool,martz Was Also Very Nice. Its A Great Time Have Fun.

woody1351 is offline Registered User

marshalls a ****, i went to get his so many times when they were in macomb and he would never sign for me, we have a xmas card from the rams that has him on it and he wouldnt even sign that. and i went almost everyday to get him to sign it for 2 yrs. i got him to sign a football in 99 bc he was teeing off on hole #18 at i live on 18 tee and went out there and got him to sign then.
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-28-2005 at 03:29 PM.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I live 20 minutes from Dolphins camp.

Does anyone have a bong that they'd like me to get Ricky Williams to sign?
    Actually...

Well, I don't wanna get you in trouble.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If I was a Pro, I wouldn't sign for anyone over the age of 12. Why? How do I know you aren't going to sell it on eBay and I don't get a dime? Don't give me this they make so much money anyway, it's still their signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast