RamWraith is offline Registered User

Goldberg Brings Versatility to Offensive Line

Tuesday, September 5, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

In two NFL seasons with Minnesota, Adam Goldberg plied his trade and earned his spot by being a veritable Swiss Army Knife.

After going undrafted in the 2003 NFL Draft out of Wyoming, Goldberg signed with the Vikings in hopes of landing a roster spot. He fell short of that goal, but was signed to the practice squad.

Capable of playing guard and tackle, Goldberg was valuable in that role with the practice squad. But he also showed the willingness and ability to play anywhere along the line.

“That’s how I made my hay early,” Goldberg said. “Earlier in my career I kind of made my way in this league and was able to play due to position versatility. Even though I have been a starter for the last two years I still had that position versatility. Pretty much wherever they need me, I’ll play.”

Goldberg spent two more seasons in Minnesota, where he got to know coach Scott Linehan in 2004, when Linehan was the offensive coordinator. He played in 29 games with 18 starts for the Vikings after they signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2003.

Along the way, Goldberg played every position along the line. He played left tackle, right tackle, left guard and right guard in regular season games and center in a pair of preseason contests. He even lined up at tight end in short yardage downs and sure running situations.

With that kind of experience and success, it was a little bit of a surprise that Goldberg didn’t make the Vikings’ final roster. Although he admits to being surprised that he wasn’t going to make Minnesota’s final 53, he wasn’t shocked because of the change in personnel brought on by new head coach Brad Childress.

“I was a little bit surprised, but at the same time the new staff came in and brought in a lot of their own guys and when they bring in their own guys they are not going to cut them,” Goldberg said.

But the Vikings didn’t even have to release Goldberg. Linehan and the Rams pounced on the chance to acquire him, giving up a seventh-round draft choice in 2008 to ensure they would acquire him.

Goldberg’s previous relationship with Linehan helped expedite the process and it’s also helping Goldberg feel comfortable in the system right away. For now, Goldberg will be used as in the same versatile capacity that first earned him a spot.

“The addition of Adam Goldberg is somebody who's played quite a bit,” Linehan said. “He's an ascending young player that can potentially be a starter one day.”

WHITHER HAGANS?: After releasing fifth-round choice Marques Hagans to make room for safety and kick returner J.R. Reed on Monday, Linehan held out hope that Hagans would return to the team sometime today.

“We are hoping he clears today and we are able to re-sign him on our practice squad,” Linehan said. “There’s a 24-hour period there that has to be done.”

Hagans did indeed clear waivers Tuesday and should be back with the practice squad Wednesday.

The Rams rounded out their practice squad Tuesday morning by adding safety Etric Pruitt, whose stay was brief. Pruitt was later released to make room for Hagans.

INJURY REPORT: Receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce were held out of the final two preseason games because of injuries to their sternum and hamstring, respectively. But Linehan said both looked good in Tuesday’s workout and expects the duo to be ready to play this week.

“They're ready to go,” Linehan said. “We're going through extensive practice without the bodies we had before and it's a pretty good test for them to get through it, especially the reps we go through. We'll certainly be a team that can stay in there and stay with it.”

Linebacker Jamal Brooks was limited during the practice with a wrap on his leg and defensive end Anthony Hargrove was held out because of an infection in his left elbow. Hargrove ran on the side, but was told not to participate after having the elbow drained, according to Linehan.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Re: Goldberg Brings Versatility to Offensive Line

Who was released to get him a spot on the roster?