RamWraith is offline Registered User

Goldberg Works At Left Guard; Kennison Practices

By Howard Balzer
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008

There could be more shuffling on the offensive line when the Rams host the Giants Sunday.

Since training camp started, potential right guard Mark Setterstrom was lost for the season because of a knee injury and backup tackle Brandon Gorin suffered a season-ending shoulder injury. Then, center Brett Romberg broke a bone in his right hand, and Nick Leckey has been the starting center.

Sunday against the Eagles, left guard Jacob Bell injured his hamstring. Bell did not practice Wednesday and coach Scott Linehan said, "There is a little bit of doubt there at this point.Ē Taking the reps at left guard was Adam Goldberg. Bell claimed Wednesday he would be ready to play, but that seems unlikely.

In other injury news, defensive end Leonard Little (hamstring) did not practice along with punter Donnie Jones (non-kicking knee). Running back Travis Minor (thigh) was limited. Wide receiver Donnie Avery, who missed the season opener because of a strained MCL, practiced and ran well. Defensive end Chris Long practiced extensively on the left side Wednesday with Little out. Long had a heavy wrap on his left hand to protect a broken pinky.

On Minor, Linehan said, "It is pretty tight at this point and we just held him out of practice pretty much today just to see if we can get him back.Ē

As for Avery, Linehan said, ďHe did good. That is one that we are trying not to be overly impatient about. We donít want to push him out there too fast. He is the kind of guy that pushes himself hard enough anyway; you almost have to pull the reigns back on him, which is a good thing. He went out there and he showed a lot more promise as far as what his potential may be, not only for this game but for sure the next game.Ē

KENNISON WILL KNOW BY FRIDAY

Wide receiver Eddie Kennison, who will wear jersey No. 86, said Wednesday he will tell coaches Scott Linehan and Al Saunders by Friday whether he will be able to participate in about 20-25 plays Sunday against the Giants.

ďIím in great shape," Kennison told the assembled media Wednesday. "But on game day, the tempo is a lot faster, itís a lot more competitive, and Iím not in game shape yet. But I will be. I think Scott and Al are very fair guys, and if I told them I could (be in for) 20, 25 plays, I think theyíd give me that opportunity.Ē

Asked if it was realistic for Kennison to be able to play, Linehan said, "The realism of him playing, it would be a role somewhat similar to what a No. 3 or 4 receiver would have. It is realistic that he would be available for this Sunday.Ē Kennison took some reps with the first unit Wednesday.

Linehan said Kennison's knowledge of the offense made him an attractive signing. "He has a really good familiarity with the Z position; we are a little light there especially as far as a veteran at that spot with Drew (Bennett) out. Thatís probably it, him being able to shorten the learning curve with the system because it is really hard. As you can see, if you guys just look around the league and you see roster acquisitions this time of year, you will see a lot of guys that have a lot of background with the offense that the team's running.Ē

Kennison said about his return, ďI think one of the most important things is not only to win the trust and respect of the guys in the locker, but also to win the trust and respect of our fans. If I remember correctly, I didnít leave on a good note. So, Iíll try to get them back and Ö cheering for Eddie Kennison again.Ē

As for that knowledge of the offense, he said, ďThere are some things that are just a little bit different, but nothing that I canít handle (by) a couple of nights a week getting into the playbook really good and really studying the new verbiage. So, itíll be pretty easy.Ē

Dane Looker and rookie Keenan Burton will also see time at Bennett's spot. Said Burton, "This is a great opportunity and I have to show I can take advantage of it." Burton was in on eight plays Sunday against Philadelphia.

HEDGECOCK'S RETURN

Giants fullback Madison Hedgecock plays his first game Sunday against the Rams, the team that cut him after the opening game of the 2007 season.

Asked how good a fit Hedgecock has been, Giants coach Tom Coughlin said, "Excellent fit. A physical, blocking, lead-blocking fullback that has good hands, can be a factor in the play-action pass game, has done an outstanding job on special teams in basically the same kind of capacity. He has been a very, very good fit."

When a block he made in the opener against the Redskins was noted, Coughlin remarked, "He has had a few like that. He takes a lot of pride in that, which is very, very important and the rest of the players on our team know how he plays."

When Rams quarterback Marc Bulger was asked about Hedgecock in a conference call with the New York media, he said, "He was a friend of mine. He is a great player. We got him in here and certain situations just donít work out. But I knew he would land on his feet somewhere and quick. So Iím really happy for him that it worked out for him because he is too good of a player not to be in this league. And I think he has shown you guys what he can do."

During training camp, Hedgecock was asked why the Rams released him, and said, "There was a player the new coach wanted to keep, a guy he had been familiar with before, and so I was just the spare tire. I knew I was a better player. Heck, everybody on the team knew that. But I was the one who got cut. So now we play the Rams in our second game this season? Out there? Good."

The player was tight end/fullback Richard Owens, who was released by the Rams this year one day after the cutdown to 53 players.

Reminded that Hedgecock was upset when the Rams released him, Bulger said, "Yeah, I know he was. I was a big fan of his, but I think there are a lot of decisions that go into things. Whether it is special teams or schematically the way we do things, I have no clue what went into that. Iím just one of the guys. I knew he could play in this league and Iíll leave it at that."

SIMPLY NOTING

*Sunday's game will be televised locally at noon on Fox2. While there are tickets available (the Giants returned some from their allotment), the game met league standards for being considered a sellout.

*Several combinations were used at cornerback with Ricky Manning working with the first unit as well as Tye Hill, who was benched after giving up two long passes Sunday against Philadelphia.

*Asked about Hill being back as a starter, Linehan said, ďWeíre evaluating. Tye Hill will be back in there, but I met with him myself this morning and I told him, ĎYouíre no different than a quarterback or head coach. Things go good, thatís your job. You are a first-round draft pick. If things go bad, people are going to be on your butt. You just have to practice better so you play better.í He had a really good day today.Ē

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Goldberg Works At Left Guard; Kennison Practices

Great to hear Donnie "ran well" ...fingers crossed he can see some action on Sunday...with the Giants blitzing it will be handy to have Donnie in the there to get the short balls and run into the space left by the blitz!

Adam Goldberg im not so hot on,tho i guess he`s a vet of some sort...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Kennison, hmm, I forgot he was a 1st round pick by the Rams! That, of course, means very little now (35 years old). But I trust he will be of help somewhat during the next few weeks.

Hitman Hedgecock, he was a friend of mine too. Such a blunder to let him go.

RANDYRAM Guest

hopefully Haslett will bring a lot of blitzes

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I hope Long gets his sack this weekend. It's well deserved. He's getting better weekly. And I believe this will be the weekend he gets it!

We need Avery out there, he's going to spread their defense and open up many oppurtunites for our other receivers to make good plays.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Wonder why Schuening isn't getting a look at left guard? He played in all offensive line positions in college and can't be worse than Goldberg, surely?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    hopefully Haslett will bring a lot of blitzes

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Wonder why Schuening isn't getting a look at left guard? He played in all offensive line positions in college and can't be worse than Goldberg, surely?

Im a huge fan of Roy!

im sure if they put Goldberg & Schuening onto the practice field in unmarked jerseys and helmets without linny knowing which is which and just watched them play...

Linehan would point to Schuening as being the better Guard!

can just picture it now as the helmet is taken off to reveal the Jake blues look-a-like Scheuning,then Linny quickly saying "no,no,... he`s not my boy...i meant him"! pointing at Goldberg instead.