• 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Good Article on Chris Givens

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Good Article on Chris Givens

Givens blocking off-field distractions
    Updated Aug 11, 2013 2:05 AM ET
    FoxSports.com
    EARTHCITY, MO.
    Incomingdraft picks are warned each year at the NFL’s rookie symposium about theimportance of managing their personal lives as professional athletes.
    Chris Givens wishes hehad immediately followed the advice that was given.
    It’snot that Givens had a poor debut with St. Louis in 2012. Givens was among themost productive wide receivers in his draft class, with 42 receptions for 698yards and three touchdowns. He was especially dangerous as a deep threat,becoming the first rookie in league history with a catch of at least 50 yardsin five consecutive games.
    ButGivens, 23, believes he could have hit even greater heights with morededication to football and fewer off-field distractions.
    “Thereare a lot of things I felt I could have done better if I was more focused, likecatching the ball better,” Givens told co-host Gil Brandt and me Saturday onSiriusXM NFL Radio.
    “Earlyin the year, I didn’t really make the catches I thought I could have made. Justsimple, little mistakes I shouldn’t have made.
    “Thisoffseason, I just took it upon myself to get my life right off the field sowhen it’s time to play football, I’m all in and can focus on that.”
    Amongthose changes: Distancing himself from some of the people he was associatingwith and scaling back his social life.
    “Onceyou get to this level, you have all this freedom and you’re basically livingyour dream,” said Givens, a fourth-round pick from Wake Forest. “Sometimes, youcould just want to do too much and not focus on your job. Even though I’mplaying football, it’s my job. You really have to draw that line.
    “Idid that in the offseason when I should have done it in the summer of lastyear. I let everybody know, ‘Look, this is my life and career. I have a goal inmind of what I want to do. For the next 10 or 12 years, this is what I’m goingto be focused on. When I have time for other things, that’s when I’ll deal withit.’ ”
    Rams head coach JeffFisher said he has noticed a difference with Givens, who was suspended alongwith cornerback Janoris Jenkins beforea game last November against San Francisco for violating team rules. SportsIllustrated reported that Givens and Jenkins had both broken curfew.
    “That’skind of the defining moment for a lot of players — Year 1 and Year 2 and thechoices you make between the two years,” Fisher said. “If you can admit to someof the distractions and put them behind as you move into year two, it ends upbeing easier.”

I think Givens could be a true rising star for the Rams. His ability to get behind the defense on a consistent basis adds an element to the offense that we've lacked in the past. I'm glad to read that he's maturing off the field as well.
    jjigga3000 likes this.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Re: Good Article on Chris Givens

Chris Givens is the new Danny Amendola and I hope the new Issac BRUUUUUCE!!!!!!!!

Maybe a little Flipper Anderson in there too?

live4ramin is offline Registered User

IreallylikeGivensandIthinkhe'll beastarinthisleague.
    Prepare to be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    IreallylikeGivensandIthinkhe'll beastarinthisleague.
    Cue Nick's "I see what you did there" meme.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I don't want him being like Amendola, all injury prone. I want him to be the next Holt/Bruce. Great hands and route runner. That's great he's focusing because there are a lot of distractions when you do what you love. Reason being is because there is no effort and the pay is usually great. People tend to think you don't deserve the money you make because you make it look so easy. They never see the work that goes on behind the scenes. Great job Givens.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

I really hope he does step it up this year and show he is more than just a deep threat. Currently he reminds me a little of Donnie Avery who was an amazing deep threat but weak elsewhere. I'm assuming he will prove me wrong but until I see it, he is just a better Avery right now. and that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold Tavon Austin View Post
    I really hope he does step it up this year and show he is more than just a deep threat. Currently he reminds me a little of Donnie Avery who was an amazing deep threat but weak elsewhere. I'm assuming he will prove me wrong but until I see it, he is just a better Avery right now. and that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so.
    While I would agree with a bit of your sentiment I have to say if you divide the year into two segments in judging Givens......

First half....deep threat and not great all around ball skills in making all types of catches...long short possession type catches

Second half team took away long ball and Givens became better at short to intermediate catches.

I have faith in the young man that he will be a star in this league as a complete receiver......