Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly from Tonight's Game

general counsel is offline Registered User

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly from Tonight's Game

National TV, my first live Rams pre season game this year. I saw some really encouraging things out there tonight (at least in the first half).

The Good

I didnt see any starters get injured

I thought Sammy was sharp. The TD to cook was great, and he made other strong throws as well, including a great read on the blitz where he hit givens in the butt. If givens turns his head, catches that ball and makes one move, its a 50 yard td.

We saw the burst from Austin on the two punt returns and the nice catch and run down the sideline.

The Tree! What a performance. A fumble with a td return, a great INT, and a super pass breakup at the goal line.

58 yard field goal into the net by the leg.
    excellent directional punting from Hecker.
    Sure, they gained a lot of yards, but we held Manning to 10 points with pretty much a base defense.
    Loved the field goal block in the first half.
    Excellent play by Ray Ray Armstrong late in the game dropping the guy for a loss (one of our three second half highlights, the other two being the INT by woodward (which was followed by a 45 yard backward spurt!) and a nice catch for a first down by Quick

The Third down pass from sammy to givens for the first down was outstanding.

The BAD

Too many false starts and offsides early in the game
    Givens has to make that adjustment and look for that ball.
    Jenkins got beat early and deep by thomas. Could have easily been a deep TD.
    Harkey went to the locker room with what looked like a knee injury
    While its good news that Saffold was able to play with Barksdale out, he got beat badly a couple of times with speed rushes, which may well be an issue for the year

The UGLY

We sure better hope Sammy doesnt get hurt. Davis was unimpressive again, although he had one third down completion that Blake dropped.

We have no functional depth on the offensive line. The backups looked absolutely awful in my view tonight.

All backups in the game, but the blocked punt was pathetic.

In reality, the entire second half was pretty darn ugly.

Other observations

Cook sure is big and he really can move. Both Richardson and Pead looked fine if not terrific when they had any running room, which wasnt all that often. I hope we see that sideline reporter more often!

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RamDez, Truth and lordwhttgr like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly from Tonight's Game

Thanks for the GOBU report GC! I didn't see the game so this gives me a summarized impression regardless of score.

And, as you said, we'd better get working the phones in the OL department!

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

That two-pointer at the end was good. Looks like the refs are ready for the season too.

Additional postgame report...

Rookies Impress in Loss to Broncos
    By Nate Horgan / STL Rams official website
    08/24/13, p.m.

The Rams' first three picks from the 2013 NFL Draft stole the show in Saturday's 27-26 loss to the Denver Broncos. WR Tavon Austin set the tone early flashing his speed returning punts, LB Alec Ogletree displayed his ability to take the ball away, and S T.J. McDonald made plays on defense and special teams.

After the defense forced QB Peyton Manning and the Denver offense to punt, Austin gave those watching a taste of why the team traded up to No. 8 overall in this year’s Draft, when he returned a punt 81 yards and nearly punched it into the end zone. Austin also returned a punt for 23 yards in the second quarter and finished the night averaging 52 yards per return.

As part of a strong defensive effort throughout the first half, the Rams recorded their first takeaway of the preseason when Ogletree ripped the ball out of RB Ronnie Hillman's hands, recovered the fumble, then returned it 13 yards for his first NFL touchdown. CB Cortland Finnegan initially made the hit on Hillman and kept him up, allowing Ogletree to force the fumble. The rookie linebacker out of the University of Georgia wasn't done there as he almost hauled in a one-handed interception in the end zone to force Denver to settle for a field goal.

Olgetree showed off his skills again when he put a halt to Manning's two-minute drill at the end of the first half. The 30th overall selection in this year's Draft tipped the pass to himself, then hauled in it for his second takeaway of the game. Olgetree finished with six tackles and two tackles-for-loss, according to press box statistics.

“It felt great to get out there and play fast and get my first touchdown and first interception," Ogletree said. "It was a great feeling tonight, so I’m very excited.”

The Rams' third-round pick, McDonald took Denver points off the scoreboard when he blocked a 34-yard Matt Prater field goal in the second quarter. McDonald also came up with some key tackles downfield in the first half.

Ogletree and McDonald were part of a complete defensive performance that held Manning to only one touchdown despite three trips into the red zone.

Some other defensive rookies also made with big plays when LB Ray-Ray Armstrong sacked Brock Osweiler for a 10-yard loss and CB Darren Woodard picked off an Osweiler pass for a 23-yard return.

The veterans also looked sharp. QB Sam Bradford connected with TE Jared Cook for a three-yard touchdown on the offense's opening one-play drive. Cook displayed the match-up problems he poses to defenders when Denver LB Danny Trevathan's attempts to grab and hold Cook were not enough to stop him from bringing in the reception. Cook finished with four catches for 50 yards, while Bradford threw for 160 yards on 9-of-16 passing for the night.

Bradford's continued success with Cook wasn't the only positive glimpse that came out of Saturday's contest. After leaving early in the first preseason game and returning to practice this week, RT Rodger Saffold started and suffered no setbacks throughout the first half. Also on the line, Chris Williams made his second start of the preseason at left guard.

On the defensive side of the ball, S Rodney McLeod started the game in the secondary with Darian Stewart inactive and had a crucial pass breakup in the end zone at the end of the first quarter. CB Trumaine Johnson also earned a start as the Rams came out in their nickel package.

Several defensive linemen got looks in the first half, Mason Brodine, Matt Conrath, and Gerald Rivers each registered some playing time against Denver’s first-team offensive line. DE Eugene Sims also returned to action after taking time off from training camp for family reasons.

K Greg Zuerlein made both of his field goals on Saturday night, the first from 35 yards and the second from 58 yards to end the first half.

While the Rams improved in the giveaway/takeaway column by creating four turnovers, they did not improve in the area of penalties. The team finished with 10 penalties for 69 yards.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_SF View Post
    That two-pointer at the end was good. Looks like the refs are ready for the season too.
    i wish it was...quick did drop it
    ram3057 likes this.

Funny watching TAustin on video running that punt return in fast-motion, faster than Ogletree for sure!

There he is, urging the Tree to block ahead and if he had, that play would havbeen a TD for TA.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Funny watching TAustin on video running that punt return in fast-motion, faster than Ogletree for sure!

There he is, urging the Tree to block ahead and if he had, that play would havbeen a TD for TA.
    If he woulda blocked the chaser, Austin coulda juked ahead. Just seems like the better option than pacing the blocker and letting yourself get caught.

Yodude is offline Registered User

they did not improve in the area of penalties. The team finished with 10 penalties for 69 yards.
    I'm thinking that gets filed under "Ugly".
    Bar-bq and lordwhttgr like this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    If he woulda blocked the chaser, Austin coulda juked ahead. Just seems like the better option than pacing the blocker and letting yourself get caught.
    i don't even think ogletree needed to block, if austin had cut, it's a TD

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great recap GC. I watched the game and was heartened by the improvement of less missed tackles, more aggressive offense and the play of Ogletree who really looked like a 1st round pick last night. I would add the remark Jeff Fisher was said to have made that Ogletree is our younger version of Patrick Willis, wasn't in my mind so much a comparison of the talent but rather the importance AO will have to the LB position in our defense.

One thing that needs to be added to your "bad" list is the pass to Pettis early that went off his fingertips. I can't totally blame Pettis as Sam could have placed it better but that was a very makeable play that didn't happen. He had the CB turned around and should have snatched that pass.

Lastly, I believe one of Fisher's hidden moves in the pre-season games is to hide Brian Quick with the 3rd teamers. I think he's ready to move Brian into the #2 WR but is waiting until the season starts so teams aren't able to plan ahead for him. Just consider how AZ's secondary will struggle with smaller players like T. Mathieau trying to match-up with Brian.

Although we lost, I feel this was a solid outing for us and am much more confident heading into the the season. Next week will be another test as we meet Baltimore, I just hope no high ankle sprains or other injuries like last year with Brockers.

Go Rams!
    MauiRam likes this.

important thing is the starters, though it's preseason, put 20 on denver while holding manning and co. to only 10 points

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Additional postgame report...
    they did not improve in the area of penalties. The team finished with 10 penalties for 69 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    I'm thinking that gets filed under "Ugly".
    But two of those penalties were bogus, and netted almost half the yards. What's worse is that the donkeys commited the actual penalties three times on the following two series without a single flag flying.

One of neutral zone was actually a false start, and was initially called that way, but the officials changed it to neutral zone after Manning lobbied for it. I believe two of the false starts remarkably had multiple guys move at the exact same time. That is a clear sign of the defense imitating the snap calls, which is a defensive penalty. So take 5 penalties and 45 yards off the board, and it's an improvement over previous weeks and last year.

BTW... Calling those five or six penalties correctly, and the donkeys have 14 or 15 penalties in the game, and "they're an elite team".

gap

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    important thing is the starters, though it's preseason, put 20 on denver while holding manning and co. to only 10 points
    And what makes it even better is that 14 of those points are a result of Defense and Special Teams. We didn't get much of that last year.

gap
    Varg6 likes this.

Truth is offline Registered User

I think the thing that really stands out is, lack of depth. I think we'll be pretty competitive as long as we stay healthy.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

My thoughts- first the positives:

1)Alec Ogletree showed why Fisher and the Rams valued this guy so much. A great performance.
    2)Tavon Austin showed he can be an absolutely electrifying player if the situation presents itself.
    3)We forced 3 turnovers which led to 16 points.
    4)Zeurlein 58 yarder. Would've been good from 65. Enough said.
    5)Jared Cook promises to be one heck of an addition to our offense. Very good performance.

Negatives:

1) We allowed Peyton manning to put up video game numbers on us in the first half. And don't hand me the "we're only running a vanilla defense" argument. You can avoid showing all your 'secrets" and still not allow a guy to torch you. Disappointing.
    2) Our running game is putrid. Not one guy has shown me he is even remotely capable of picking up the slack from the departure of SJax. Part of the blame must be shouldered by the o-line, but if we can't give more than what we showed last night, we're in trouble.
    3)Janoris Jenkins needs to learn his craft. No one doubts his big play capabilities. But his inability to play fundamentally sound football (not getting turned around, poor tackling, etc.) promises to hurt us more than any big play will help us in the long run.
    4)Where is the defensive line?? Perhaps our greatest strength garnered absolutely zero pass rush last night.
    5)Bradford and his receivers started out strong then petered out. Poor communication reared its ugly head (Givens getting hit in the legs with a pass after failing to turn around when Sam was under duress). Not what I wanted to see from our 1st team offense the last two series.

Overall, I was disappointed in our performance. Our offense- a point of concern moving forward- did not play well. You cannot rely on making teams turn the ball over multiple times every game. Many question marks. Not what I wanted to see in game 3 of the pre-season.
    SimSportPl likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast