Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly from Tonight's Game

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly from Tonight's Game

My take on the game is simple. Anytime you can see the impact on a game from the new talent like we did last night, how can you not be thrilled.

Two first round draft picks put their hands all over this game IMO. Jake Long was supposed to be a broken down washed up LT. If he plays like this all year SB8 will kill it. The best line I heard all night was. He Went to Jared... Jared Cook that is. If you can't see these two playing pitch and catch all year you must be blind.

Do we have stuff to fix hell yeah who doesn't. From where I'm sitting I'm thrilled with last nights showing.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I would not say I was thrilled.......but I did see some promising things out there. I will wait until I see the real deal in the regular season. I EXPECT 9 wins this year....That would thrill me to no end!

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I would not say I was thrilled.......but I did see some promising things out there. I will wait until I see the real deal in the regular season. I EXPECT 9 wins this year....That would thrill me to no end!
    I had us going 8-8 and missed it by a half a game. I have us going 10-6 this year.
    Randart likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm guilty of sometimes seeing the glass half empty, but I honestly thought there was much more bad than good last night. The score at halftime was misleading, as our scoring resulted from big defensive plays, masking the ineffectiveness of the offense. Denver ran 30 plays in the 1st quarter- 30 PLAYS!! Part of that of course was because of our two big plays defensively, but part of that was also our inability to stop drives and our quick possessions on offense. After the first couple of series, our offense stunk-our receivers unable to get open and miscommunicating with Bradford. Cook, who had a real nice game, was the exception. And the running game has been horrendous this pre-season. I'm very disappointed in what I've seen in three pre-season games from this crew.

Long was decent, but did have a holding penalty. But he's the least of our worries and obviously is a key piece in keeping Bradford upright this season.

Believing a team can just turn it on when week 1 starts after poor showings in the pre-season is flawed thinking. Certainly pre-season record doesn't matter and the roster will be pared down, but I do expect to see good football out of the starters, and thus far it's been a decidedly mixed bag. I like the additions of Cook, Austin, Long, Ogletree and several others. Bradford looks decent. But there is much work to do if we expect to beat SF and SEA. Last year, we snuck up on them because nothing was expected from the Rams. This year, they'll be ready- and we'd better pick it up performance wise.
    SimSportPl likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    This year, they'll be ready- and we'd better pick it up performance wise.
    May your words ring true amigo!

I really trust, hope, expect (etc.) that our Rams W I L L indeed improve their performance.

GUTS. GLORY. RAM.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I thought the miss by Jenkins was a potential push-off by the receiver...but I could be biased.
    rammiser likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I'm guilty of sometimes seeing the glass half empty, but I honestly thought there was much more bad than good last night. The score at halftime was misleading, as our scoring resulted from big defensive plays, masking the ineffectiveness of the offense. Denver ran 30 plays in the 1st quarter- 30 PLAYS!! Part of that of course was because of our two big plays defensively, but part of that was also our inability to stop drives and our quick possessions on offense. After the first couple of series, our offense stunk-our receivers unable to get open and miscommunicating with Bradford. Cook, who had a real nice game, was the exception. And the running game has been horrendous this pre-season. I'm very disappointed in what I've seen in three pre-season games from this crew.

Long was decent, but did have a holding penalty. But he's the least of our worries and obviously is a key piece in keeping Bradford upright this season.

Believing a team can just turn it on when week 1 starts after poor showings in the pre-season is flawed thinking. Certainly pre-season record doesn't matter and the roster will be pared down, but I do expect to see good football out of the starters, and thus far it's been a decidedly mixed bag. I like the additions of Cook, Austin, Long, Ogletree and several others. Bradford looks decent. But there is much work to do if we expect to beat SF and SEA. Last year, we snuck up on them because nothing was expected from the Rams. This year, they'll be ready- and we'd better pick it up performance wise.
    Pretty darned good opponent that was hellbent on winning has to be borne in mind, though.Iirc, the #1 seed in playoffs last year & pretty much top five in most categories on both sides of the ball.Just sayin'....lol....

That was certainly a more traditional "dress rehearsal" by Denver with a bit of extra mustard from PM doing his BS flap dance every play to max the advantage of The Rams bland coverage to that poor Jenkins kid who was getting hit with jailbreak blitzes.. I guess Fox was serious about getting that Ravens game flushed out of Mile High with a win, no matter how senseless & risky. Fisher did the right thing by pulling the starters & letting The Bronco Ones & Moreno strut around as he plowed 2nd & 3rd string guys like he's da man. Maybe exposing Thomas to some hard hits was worth padding PM's meaningless stats. I'd rather not see Givens limping off or Austin, thx. I think The Rams learned more about their depth than Denver did about their Ones, for good or ill.

There are issues, to be sure, but it was hardly an embarrassment. Even the back-ups have taken a bit more stick than they deserve since Denver left both starter units in far longer except for Manning.

A long way to go but much better, imo. Half full & the level is rising perceptibly if haphazardly, I guess is my take.
    HUbison and Randart like this.

MACD is offline Registered User

Finally got a chance to watch my recording of the game. Feeling very good. Austin Pettis seemed to misjudge the long pass attempt. If he wouldn't have slowed down it would have hit him in perfect stride, instead of looking a little long. And our backs need to pick up the pass rush better for sure. But all in all I think the 1st half was full of positives, and I feel Fisher isn't showing a lot...just enough to get starter prepared for game conditions, and weed out the roster. And Ogletree is ALL THAT!

I think we gave Manning just about anything short by playing off quite a bit.
    rammiser likes this.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

The only real negative from me was Janoris Jenkins. Seemed like Manning was picking on him and did a great job of it. Of course Manning will do that to most cornerbacks in the NFL.

Our second stringers are second stringers for a reason. When they're all out on the field together they look subpar but let's not forget that's not going to happen during the regular season. When we have to plug in a second stringer here or there because of injury or whatever, the second string players level of play won't be so obvious playing with the 1st stringers.

I really thought our team looked pretty good last night. Definitely better than preseason games 1 & 2.

Now let's go win game preseason game 4 and get this train rolling!!!!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    We allowed Peyton manning to put up video game numbers on us in the first half. And don't hand me the "we're only running a vanilla defense" argument. You can avoid showing all your 'secrets" and still not allow a guy to torch you. Disappointing
    I'm sorry. You may not like to hear it, but the simple truth is the defense was in a deep shell the entire night. They rushed 4 and dropped 7. And why not? If Fisher wanted to get a look at the tackling of a unit that didn't tackle very well last time out, what better way than to give Manning the underneath, then let the defenders make the stop? Whether that was Fisher's intent or not, I don't know. But that was the result.

And I'm not sure we can say that Manning torched anyone? His ypa was identical to Bradford's; and his ypc was actually less than Bradford's.
    rammiser and sosa39rams like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm sorry. You may not like to hear it, but the simple truth is the defense was in a deep shell the entire night. They rushed 4 and dropped 7. And why not? If Fisher wanted to get a look at the tackling of a unit that didn't tackle very well last time out, what better way than to give Manning the underneath, then let the defenders make the stop? Whether that was Fisher's intent or not, I don't know. But that was the result.

And I'm not sure we can say that Manning torched anyone? His ypa was identical to Bradford's; and his ypc was actually less than Bradford's.
    This is spot on IMO.

Here is another word for vanilla it's prevent. We are playing prevent defense for the most part. You guys know the one, where everyone gets pissed at the end of a game and teams back off and don't give up the big play.

What I saw was guys tackling much better and playing the run better. How could anyone not like the plays that Ogletree made. To act like these where some kind of fluke and we can't count on turnovers is a real head scratched to me.

I don't think if we opened the played book up and schemed for a month on defense we could stop Aaron Roger or Peyton Manning to honest, not many can.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-26-2013 at 11:39 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Last i checked, effective defense is best measured by POINTS, not yards, allowed. I dont see how anyone can say that Manning torched us when they scored 10 points, 4 of which may not even get scored in a regular season game because they may well kick the field goal on 4th and 2 at the 7 yard line.

We kept the guys in front of us and against manning, that is a great strategy. If you want to criticize, i think what you could say is that given the time of possession, and the altitude, the defense would have gotten worn down in the second half and given up more points, but that is pure speculation because the offense might have done a better job of making first downs. Jenkins did get torched on the one deep ball (not the push off, the one in the first series), but without pressure on manning (and we didnt get any pressure at all), that type of thing is going to happen from time to time.

One thing i know about Manning. As great as he is, he can't score from the bench. If you want to beat Denver, you need to score on them and you need to be successful both in the running game and on third down. To win that game, we were going to need a better offensive performance in the second half, or additional turnovers/special teams plays.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

MACD is offline Registered User

One thing we'll never see from pre-season is the battering effect our D will have in the 4th quarter. I believe we have some horses in our d-line that will have opposing O-linemen really huffing and puffing late in the game. This is where I'd love to see us dominate.
    KoaKoi likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Some observations about the passing game...

1. Sam looked good in the pocket. A couple of times he made a timely step up to avoid the outside rush.
    2. Perhaps the best throw of the night was an incompletion. Sam threw a great ball on a sideline pattern to Austin Pettis who, for some unknown reason, slowed down (nearly stopped) and let the ball go over his head.
    3. Sam's biggest mistake was on a 3rd and 15 when he passed on a chance to get the ball to Tavon Austin in space. While Austin was only about 7 yards downfield, I'll take my chances that he can run for the rest.
    4. There seemed to be a real effort to involve Jared Cook, and he looked great.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    One thing that needs to be added to your "bad" list is the pass to Pettis early that went off his fingertips. I can't totally blame Pettis as Sam could have placed it better but that was a very makeable play that didn't happen. He had the CB turned around and should have snatched that pass.

Go Rams!
    Actually if you go back and watch the replay of this pass, Pettis slowed down just a bit and this is what caused the incompletion. If he keeps running its a long gain and possibly a td. So Sam couldnt have thrown it any better than he did.
    Just Fix It

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast