Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

The Good, the bad and the ugly, week one recap

Short recap on today's epic debacle in philadelphia. Any optimism related to our preseason performance against the backups in san diego was certainly deflated in a big way today. We appeared woefully unprepared and unable to execute on offense, defense, special teams and in the coaching area. Other than offense, defense, special teams and coaching, we were very competitive in this game.

The Good

Donnie Jones is fantastic. No other way to say it.
    Josh Brown made a 46 yard field goal.
    Chris Long made two tackles and got within five feet of mcnabb a couple of times, although i dont think he ever laid a hand on him. He got a lot closer than anyone else, which isnt saying much. His effort can not be denied.
    Jackson flashed some nice runs and had one terrific catch where his helmet got knocked off on a massive hit and he still held onto the ball. You cant run with no blocking.
    McMichael. Nice game, a few nice catches (5-77 yards).

The Bad

There is plenty here, lets start with the obvious

We have nothing that remotely resembles a pass rush. McNabb had 2-3 minutes to throw time after time.
    We have nothing that remotely resembles an offensive line. Bulger was constantly under siege. The blocking of the backs on blitz pickup is awful.
    While the complete lack of pass rush is a major contributing factor, our secondary was beyond pathetic. We couldnt cover a pregnant woman in a phone booth. Chaveous is so slow it painful to watch. On what may have been the key play in the game, Hill failed to make a play on the ball when he had perfect coverage on the first third down of the game for the eagles. WE actually got some breaks or it would have been worse, fahkir had an obvious interference at the goal line and it wasnt called and they dropped a couple of balls, otherwise i am not sure that mcnabb would have thrown any incompletions.
    We got banged up. Pace and Little most importantly. Little left after three plays, never returned, and the announcers never mentioned what he hurt, let alone how bad it was. Pace was grimacing in pain at the end. Bennett left on a cart, although he did catch the one pass thrown to him by some miracle of nature. Pisa was stretching at the end, that one didnt look too bad. Obviously, injuries to Pace and Little in week one are a disaster for us.
    Coaching. I dont know how we could be so unprepared for all the eagles blitzing. Johnson has been running the exact same defensive schemes for ten years.
    The team played without fire and enthusiasm. This had to be laid on the coaches to some degree.
    I think the decision to call a timeout right before half was a mistake. We were down 14 and the eagles called a run, they looked like they wanted to run out the clock. Why not let them do it? We were getting killed but still in the game. Once they completed the 90 yard pass and went up 21-0 it was over. The coaches also have to find a way to get the ball in holts hands. 1 catch for 9 yards for holt is not going to get it done in this offense.

The Ugly

The penalty on holt for 15 yards for being on the field during the defensive play is inexcusable.
    It doesnt get much uglier than 0-11 on 3rd down for the rams. Allowing the eagles to convert on 8-14 third downs isnt pretty either.
    We had no less than six false starts. I believe pace was the only offensive lineman that didnt have one. False starts by four different o lineman in the same game is the golden sombrero and that is really hard to see in an nfl game. Lack of concentration, focus and preparation.
    The opening kickoff by brown bounced around and made it into the end zone, luckily for us. IT could just as easily wound up out on the 5 with them starting on the 40.

The bottom line is that we were physically dominated on both sides of the ball in this game against a high quality team, albeit one with backup and rookie wide receivers torching us. This is only one game, but given our early season schedule and the fact that this game exposed EXACTLY the concerns we all had (ie could we get a pass rush and could we protect bulger), this game could easily be seen as a terrible harbinger of things to come and potentially a continuation of last year, especially if Little and Pace are going to miss any extended time.

The Giants are next and they are even better than the eagles on the offensive and defensive lines. Lets hope that somehow the coaches can perform an excorcism and somehow we will find a way to get pressure and pass protect, otherwise we are going to be 0-2 for sure and rolling.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -09-07-2008 at 05:22 PM.

ScottD413 Guest

Re: The Good, the bad and the ugly, week one recap

"We have nothing that remotely resembles an offensive line. Bulger was constantly under siege. The blocking of the backs on blitz pickup is awful."

This is the big one right here. I don't care who you are, if you have no O-Line you cannot produce. People don't like to admit it, but the most important players on a football team are those boys on the O-Line. Without them, you have no chance.

Look back at every single SB winning team and you will see that their O-Line was at least above average. Right now, ours can't even get the snap count right. Pathetic

Rambos is offline Registered User

Little left after three plays, never returned, and the announcers never mentioned what he hurt, let alone how bad it was
    Our best player on D goes out and they never said a word not one! Sad.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Maybe LeCharles Bentley will get a harder look after this week... we need to do something to get Bulger time in the pocket.

curleyski Guest

this was extremely painful to watch on all sides of the ball. you are right about no pass protection, the rams knew they would come after bulger and what in the hell did the coaches do to make any adjustments? and once again we get TORCHED by second string recievers (or rookies), and mcnabb had all the time he wanted to throw the ball. did we even get close to him? oh yeah, once we did and WHIFFED right by him on a little shake move. this can't be a picture of things to come or we are DEAD. where was torry today?? any plays designed to get him the ball? is this coaching killing us also?? i know, not enough time but still you have to find a way to get our playmakers involved. and this drew bennet dude, what is with this guy that made us want to let kevin curtis go to begin with? i still think we have the right players to win some games but today was just AWFUL to watch, these guys were wide open all day long. it is only one game and a bad one at that but we need some help fast and this total state of confusion both on the sidelines and on the field has to be gone NOW! sorry to rant so long but i am a rams fan who just loves this team and to see us look like a bad college teams just kills me. what happened to leonard little? any other word? oh well, on to next week and win #1!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The offensive line put on a heinous performance today. Every offensive lineman except Pace got called for a false start, putting our guys in numerous third and long situations, which is bad but not half as bad as the shoddy blocking we witnessed. It's a wonder that Bulger only got sacked 4 times. It seemed like more, but maybe that's just because there were 4-6 Eagles in the backfield for every one of those plays. Bulger wasn't rushing his throws on the first couple drives, but by the second quarter he looked so skittish I'm not sure he even finished his drop back on some of those passes.

Trivia Note: We've finished in the bottom six in sacks allowed every year since our last trip to the Super Bowl.

I can't even criticize the receivers too much for this one. When the ball actually got within reach, it was frequently low, behind, or deflected off a defender's hands before they ever got a shot at it.

Steven Jackson looked like the Predator shaking his dreads around like that after he lost his helmet. If anyone came into this game fired up, it was our man SJ. He ran hard and had several good catches. He and McMichael were the only bright points in the offense today.

The defense was shockingly bad. Tye Hill is gambling for interceptions now. I think I liked him better the old way. The first big play of the day, he was in great position to make the play. He went for the interception and instead gave up a catch, but at least he was still close enough to make the solo tackle and limit the damage. I just grumbled a little about that one. The next time, in single coverage he tried to jump the route, guessed wrong and got caught way out of position while his man streaked down the right side of the field. That never should have happened, and neither should the 90 yard Hank Baskett play. We had them at third and long backed up on their 8 yard line. All we had to do was drop everyone back and maybe hope for a coverage sack. How he managed to get that wide open in an obvious passing situation is completely beyond me. I don't know who was covering him--oh wait, NO ONE! I don't know who was supposed to be covering him, but they blew it big time.

I disagree about the pass rush. It wasn't particularly good, but McNabb didn't have all day to throw either. I did see a couple plays where Long got free and seemed to hurry the throw. Bartell came flying through the line but missed the tackle on another play. We flushed McNabb out of the pocket on another. The pass rush wasn't where it needs to be, but it did show signs of life...unlike the secondary.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -09-07-2008 at 06:28 PM.

SFCRamFan Guest

Like the Grinch song: Stink, Stank, Stunk!!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I cant believe you watched the game and dont think the pass rush was awful. Aside from the fact that we had zero sacks, how many times do you think that we even physically laid a hand on mcnabb? We were NEVER in his face, not even once. There was not one single mark on his uniform, i dont think he hit the turf once. We had a clean shot on one blitz early on and whiffed. He didnt throw a single ball off his back foot and i believe that he only scrambled twice in the entire three quarters that he played. The key to a pass rush is pressure up the middle and we got none of that at all.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

chipperjones Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

We have nothing that remotely resembles a pass rush. McNabb had 2-3 minutes to throw time after time.
    We have nothing that remotely resembles an offensive line. Bulger was constantly under siege. The blocking of the backs on blitz pickup is awful.
    After that game...we had nothing that remotely resembles a team....or coaching staff. I hated the play calling. I know Jackson wasnt in camp, but you will never win if you cant/dont run the football. Its pretty easy to hit/rush the QB when you know he will pass.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Also we didn't seem to want to throw the ball to our best reciever Torry Holt

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I cant believe you watched the game and dont think the pass rush was awful. Aside from the fact that we had zero sacks, how many times do you think that we even physically laid a hand on mcnabb? We were NEVER in his face, not even once. There was not one single mark on his uniform, i dont think he hit the turf once. We had a clean shot on one blitz early on and whiffed. He didnt throw a single ball off his back foot and i believe that he only scrambled twice in the entire three quarters that he played. The key to a pass rush is pressure up the middle and we got none of that at all.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I think we had just 1 play where we rushed Mcnabb into throwing the ball before he wanted to.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    I think we had just 1 play where we rushed Mcnabb into throwing the ball before he wanted to.
    You counted that many?

Mooselini Guest

I think we are looking at some free agent offensive linemen after this week. There is no excuse for that today. Made me sick.

I don't care if we lose everyone of our offensive linemen this week to new players from the free agency honestly. As long as they can get the protection Bulger needs, then I'm happy. Today was a joke on their part.

One good thing I am happy about, is Chris Long. I don't think he slowed down. He never stopped working hard, and thats what we needed. Just really worried about Pace and Little...time to replace them. No more hoping for them to return. Replace them and move on.

JFMose is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    Also we didn't seem to want to throw the ball to our best reciever Torry Holt
    Agreed.

And yeah the o-line IS the offense. You can't do anything if you have a horrible o-line. Prove me wrong.

ScottD413 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Just really worried about Pace and Little...time to replace them. No more hoping for them to return. Replace them and move on.
    I agree completely. Time to move on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast