Country is offline Registered User

Good Clifton Ryan article

This is a really good article interviewing Clifton Ryan after his big game on the weekend.

Rams rookie Clifton Ryan makes an impact
    Defensive tackle has four tackles, two sacks and recovers a fumble
    BY ROD KLOECKNER
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --Clifton Ryan made a significant impact in his second NFL game Sunday for the St. Louis Rams.

A rookie defensive tackle from Michigan State, Ryan had four tackles, two sacks, stripped San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith of the football and recovered the fumble during the Rams' 17-16 loss to the *****.

"I felt good, but I would've rather had the victory," Ryan said. "You know I would give up all those big plays for us to come away with the victory.

"As far as the big plays go, I just want to thank the defensive staff for pushing me in practice every day since I arrived. I thank them for giving me a chance to showcase my skills."

A pure nose tackle, the 6-foot-3, 310-pound Ryan is used in the defensive tackle rotation along with Adam Carriker, La'Roi Glover and Louis Leonard.

Ryan's playing time increased this week with the suspension of Claude Wroten for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Ryan credited his work on the Rams' scout team in practice for preparing him to face the *****.

"I worked a lot against Alex (Barron), who's a good player and a future All-Pro," Ryan said. "I worked a lot against all of those guys on the scout team. I think that really helped me this week coming into this game getting those extra scout-team reps.

"Those extra 25 reps you get on the scout team every day really help you hone your skills as a young player."

Ryan's big play against Smith allowed the Rams to grab a brief lead in the fourth quarter.

Bullrushing ***** defensive end Marques Douglas, Ryan pushed him back as he closed in on Smith. Reaching out, Ryan slapped the ball out of his hands and recovered the loose ball on the San Francisco's 41-yard line.

Three plays later, Jeff Wilkins kicked a 53-yard field goal to put the Rams up 16-14 with 10:04 left.

"From watching film, we know that Alex is kind of careless with the ball in the pocket," Ryan said. "He just doesn't have a real good security. I just seen it in his hand and knocked it down.

"It was right there in front of me and I fell on it. I thank God that I was able to take it away and we were able to kick the field goal to take the lead."

Ryan was part of stout effort by the Rams' defense, which allowed just 186 total yards, including 89 on the ground.

One big play cost them, a 43-yard touchdown run by Frank Gore on 4th-and-1 late in the third quarter.

"I think today was a strong showing and how our defense can play if we come out and put 11 hats on the ball," Ryan said. "I know it's a hard loss to take, but at the same time, this is a stepping stone for the rest of the season.

"We have 14 games left. Rome wasn't built in a day, either. The NFL is a long season. We're going to win games like this."
    Last edited by RamWraith; -09-17-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Copied and pasted article into the post (and then erased the link-RW)

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Good Clifton Ryan article

186 total yards / 89 rushing? Hey, that IS encouraging!

I hope (here we go with that word again) ... our defense can feed off from yesteday's performance and improve by realizing their potential, gaining confidence on a personal level, i.e., all 11 positions, and increasing their effort to avoid breakdowns like the 40+ yard TD that Gore was granted.

This definitely seems to be an improved defense. May it continue to grow and solidify with the type of play that Ryan brings.

GO CR! ... GO DEE! :bash: