Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    methodsofmadness is offline Registered User
    NC currently but soon-to-be South Carolina

Good day from a Panthers fan!

Good afternoon/evening Ram nation, I am Mike, a panther fan checking in on the board for the very first time here but I am only here for peace and nothing more... Well, until the opening week :-)

Anyways I a few thoughts as the draft gets closer and the offseason is heating up:

1) There has been a lot of talk about Jenkins being traded and that the Rams are quite interested in him. I have read other threads on this board regarding what the Rams are willing to trade for Jenkins. Some of you believe that he is only worth a 3rd or 4th rounder... not true. Despite have two fluke injuries in 04 and 05, he has been a stand out pro bowl caliber DT. Jenkins has a lot of value and he is still relatively young (only 28 years old) so he has plenty of years left in the tank (unless he has a reaccuring injury) its going to take a good 2nd round pick and a player to get him at most.

There has been questions about his weight and how he cannot lose weight because he simply doesn't work-out but its been reported that he has been working out at some local school in Maryland.

So because you guys are probably in desperate needs on defense, it would be wise to match Carolina's offer....

2) The other thing I would to mention right quickly is your home opener against us (Carolina.) Quite simply put, I am really nervous about this game because the Rams has a very talented team and with the right needs on defense, you guys could be a superbowl caliber team once again. All in all, I am looking forward to this match-up between these two teams. I have respect for the Rams organization (except taking Spoon away from us :-D) and good luck to you guys this coming season.

Also make sure to check out Carolina's forum and if I had enough post I could give you the link but I will get back with you guys later on it but we have a pretty good group of people there as well.

Anyways, thanks for giving me an oppurtunity to speak on here and see you in opening day sunday in August!

Rams4life1 is offline Registered User

Re: Good day from a Panthers fan!

I've been saying he is worth a 2nd. But i'm in the minority. If the Rams will give up a 2nd for Kyle Turley, then they should jump all over Jenkins for a
    2nd. Hopefully they can get it done.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I am willing to give our 3rd or 2nd and Klop...And atleast someone sees that we got talent (besides us of course :P)

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

txramsfan is offline Registered User

methods, welcome to our domicile. You are right on the money about everything you said. The Rams do have the firepower on offense to match anyone in the NFL. However, on defense the Calvary is just not there yet. Yep, Jenkins could be that missing piece as Aeneas Williams was back in 2001, but he won't come cheap and most of us know that.

Good luck this year and don't be a stranger.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Welcome mr methods, great to have you with us. Please encourage your panther buddies to stop by as well. We just LOVE to have visiting experts join us.

There is enough literature on this board (much of it written by me) to keep any number of panthers fans busy for days.

Let me ask you this, given that the panthers appear to be hot on the trail of a tight end, specifically olsen in round one, would you take klopfenstein (who you know was a #2 pick last year and had a nice rookie season) plus a #4 for jenkins. That frees you up to fill another need in round one. Personally, i would do klop and a #3.

ramming speed to you and yours

general counsel

StickMonkey is offline Registered User

Hey guys.

My fellow Carolina Fan beat me to the Punch, but I thought i'd follow along with my rundown of the situation from our end.

Sucks to lose Jenkins, but if you plan on resigning the majority of Steve Smith, Julius Peppers, Jordan Gross (our RT) and maybe Travelle Wharton (our LT...or RG...we're not sure yet) then we can't afford to spend so much money on our DT's.

We signed Kemoeatu (K-2) last year, not knowing how Jenks would work out after his injuries. Better overstocked than understocked. We also picked up Lewis, and our backups in Carstens and Morehead (presumably off a RFA tender) aren't too shabby.

The way it boils down, we're spending around 30 million for our defensive line. If you split the starter/backup money 70%/30%, that leaves you about 77 million on starters this year. 30 million is just way too much for 4 positions on the field. Now, it's a darn good line, upfront and in depth, but we've payed for it, and as such, we find ourselves lacking in a few other positions (a starting S, starting caliber TE, quality LB depth), simply because the money wasn't spent there.

As to a trade, so far as all indications go, we do not want your first round pick. We have to resign all those all stars soon enough, and players like Smith and Peppers don't come cheap, and understandibly so.

1st rounders don't come cheap either, a combination of hype and obvious potential and the ability to start right away no questions asked. They're almost more on the level of FA's than rookies, so far as contracts go.

What we want are 2nd and 3rd round picks. Quality depth guys. Other than Saftey and TE, we don't really have any holes, even if we traded Jenkins. What we don't ahve is comfortable depth or reasonably priced future players at positions, to offset the high pay of the other all stars. We dont' need starters right now, so much as respectable players that could develope well in the future.

As to Jenkins skill, he seemed pretty much back on par last year. It's hard to judge the skill of a DT, though, as often his work doesn't translate into easy to read stats like Tackles or Interceptions.

He is quick off the snap. I don't think there's a DT in the league who is as good at penetrating the OLine right off the snap. That said, it does get him in trouble with some offsidies/neutral zone penalties from time to time. He's a bit above the average there, but when he does get himself turned sideways and in between the Linemen, those plays just go wrong for the offense. I'll miss that.

He does have a history of being heavy, but mostly during the offseason. Never seemed to slow him down during the year. And thankfully, his injuries were non related. No terminal ones, just the same kind everyone else sees on the same unfortunate plays.

So i guess it just comes downto the unfortunate business that you can't pay eveyrone top shelf money, and so far as the cogs work out, he's the right one to regretfully ship away.

Here's hoping it works out for both of us.

Evan

RealRam is offline Registered User

Welcome Methods and Evan to the Clan! Excellent posts too.

As you have seen here, DT Kris Jenkins has definitely been the buzz word lately and we are still debating the buying and selling of his stock value but certainly looking forward to trade in the Panthers market!

One of the bids GC has made in another thread is a #2 pick or our freshman TE Joe Klopfenstein. I think Klop is a promising TE who will probably develop much faster now that his rookie season is in the past. Coupled with a #3 rounder, it seems to me like a good time for Carolina to go for it.

A good, win-win deal for both parties. Except come season opener game.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

methodsofmadness (mom) says "So because you guys are probably in desperate needs on defense, it would be wise to match Carolina's offer.... "

Do you guys feel desperate? Do you think we look desperate to other teams and other fans?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

utter, in fairness to these guys, i have been posting on the panthers board pointing out that we are indeed desperate for defensive tackle help.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

So you are saying that we are desperate for DTs not desperate for the whole defense?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

StickMonkey is offline Registered User

I would say to be a top contender, you'd be desperate, if only because the draft rarely provides a quick fix at DT. It's a position of mass and power, things draftees generally take a few years to really fill out on.

And its like this. Say you have a above average defense overall, but have a positional weakness, like, say, crap (as i see four *'s in the post, i find out you have autocenser. Cool) for corners or a D line, and with no particular strength within that position (you couldn't swap your stud CB around to do damage control). Teams are going to pound that weakness until you have to sacrifice your strength to survive. And then you're losing your strength somewhere else to be average overall.

Better to be average overall and not give the opponent and opportunity to take advantage of, especially in the running game. You could have your safteys come up all day to help in the box, but if you still can't keep the opponents average run below four yards a carry, they're just going to keep running and throwing as opportunity dictates, and now yo'uve got two problems.

I'm not saying aim for mediocracy, but when it comes to defense, plug the holes and coach up before trading strength for weakness and hoping the relative difference works out in your favor.

Just my two cents-

E
    Last edited by StickMonkey; -04-12-2007 at 08:07 PM.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Yeah if we get Jenkins we can then focus on getting Ginn with the 13th

A decent two cents they are. Thanks Evan and welcome to the clan.

Our run defense is a problem. If Jenkins can help "plug" that hole, and he manages to stay healthy, he could improve our defense. You are probably correct, he is a better option than a guy fresh from the draft.

To be honest I don't think we have too many stud players on D to be trading to other teams. Our defense is at best average overall with some obvious weaknesses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

with all due respect to utter, we are not average overall, we stink. We are as bad as it gets against the run, our corners are average and we have no pass rush. We have one superstar player who gets double and triple teamed in leonard. We have some other good supporting players in pisa and spoon and an emerging young potential stud in tye hill.

The key with jenkins is that he will make others around him better. He will help spoon a ton. He will help get a push up the middle on pass rush. If we add jamaal anderson to jenkins, we are looking at a defense that if healthy, is good enough to win with, given the quality of our offense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    with all due respect to utter, we are not average overall, we stink. We are as bad as it gets against the run, our corners are average and we have no pass rush. We have one superstar player who gets double and triple teamed in leonard. We have some other good supporting players in pisa and spoon and an emerging young potential stud in tye hill.

The key with jenkins is that he will make others around him better. He will help spoon a ton. He will help get a push up the middle on pass rush. If we add jamaal anderson to jenkins, we are looking at a defense that if healthy, is good enough to win with, given the quality of our offense.
    Yes we are bad against the run. I agree to that.

Our corners are average you say.
    We got rid of fisher, we have an emerging stud in Tye Hill (your words) who is a corner, and Bartell improved a lot during last season. Are you sure that the corners aren't working on above average?

No pass rush may be an issue with Haslett. Play calling may be more to blame than the players performance. If Little is getting double and triple teamed and no one else is getting through, something is wrong.

So is Jenkins a leader? Is he vocal? Will he motivate others around him?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast