PurpleMafia is offline Registered User

Cool Good Luck This Sunday

I just came here to say good luck to the Rams on sunday. I dont like the Rams, never have, but I would like to see a great game. Looks like we both have QB problems, but our backups are playing well. Anyways, just came to say, I come in peace. I also want to apologize on behalf of all the Vikings fans coming here who come here to talk smack. And anyone feel free to come and talk with us at PurplePride.org, we dont bite

I look forward to having conversations with some of you throughout the week.

Thanks,
    Dave (PurpleMafia)

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Good Luck This Sunday

Welcome PurpleMafia. Your Vikes are looking good and getting some respect, something we were hoping to do after being in a similar situation early, but it didn't work out that way. These teams have a long and storied history resulting in some classic games, hope this Sunday we have another.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Good luck to you as well, thanks for joining us. I understand that the vikes are considering moving the game to metropolitan stadium and brining back bud grant to coach this week. Is mick tinglehoff healthy and playing this week. I hear he is still in shape. With barron out again, lord help us if you suit up carl eller. he was truly a force of nature in his day.

ramming speed to you and yours

general counsel

hawgski is offline Registered User

There is no doubt, the Vikes and Rams have had some spirited meetings in the past. In the same manner I have joined this message board. I also wish you the best of luck.

After watching your game against the Skins, hopefully your coaching staff has tried to figure out how to stop the run, because we have 3 very capable backs at our disposal.

Like Purplemafia, I come in peace, but very passionate about my purple.

SKOL VIKES!!! :up:

come visit us at purplepride.org

josdin00 is offline Registered User

My PP.O compatriots are much more generous that I am. I don't wish you guys any luck, at least not this week. The Vikings need every win to have a chance to catch up with the Bears. My purpose in stopping by is to try to figure out your QB situation. I thought I had heard (on sportscenter) that Martin had gone down to a concussion in the Texans game, and that's why Fitzpatrick was playing. However, I see Martin listed as out, and I didn't think concussions were usually that serious. Was there another injury to Martin that I missed, or was it just a really bad blow to the head?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It was one of those Fred Flintstone stone age hits to the head when he would see Dino circling above.....

Gotcha. I guess that explains it. You just usually don't see a QB missing more than one game for a concussion anymore, what with all the rules designed to protect that position.

One other question then. I seem to remember being suprised that in the Washington game, they tried to pass so much with a rookie QB in there. [pause while I look up some numbers...] I count 36 passing attempts, and only 12 times handing it off. There were 5 rushing attempts in there for Fitzpatrick that I weren't sure if they were designed runs, or scrambles. Either way, that's asking Fitzpatrick to be the main guy on over 75% of your plays. That seems to be a lot of pressure to put on a guy in his first start. Expecially when you guys have two quality RBs. I would imagine that the Rams would try to go to a rushing attack against Minnesota, and try to take some of the pressure of Fitzpatrick. Is that the general consensus here, or is there something wrong with your run game that I don't know about?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The offensive line was decimated before that game. Pace wasn't a 100%, Barron was out, and we had others who were nicked up and banged up. Wouldn't have mattered though, our offensive line wasn't going to open holes up anyway.

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

good luck to u too!
    you'll need it!! jk

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

SKOL VIKES!!!

What does SKOL stand for, I forget regarding the Vikings?

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Unlike a lot of my Ram friends here...I have a lot of confidence in the Rams this weekend. Football is a game of match-ups, confidence and game planning. Contrary to what the media is feeding all you Viking fans here in Minnesota, your team is not all that good. Your offensive line is a mess. Your QB is accurate for 4 yards. Your backs are banged up and average. And your WR have been over hyped and mediocre. Defensively you have preformed the last couple of weeks as was expected at the beginning of the season. And Smoot is on his way back this week.

The one trump card we are holding in all this....

Your over confidence.

I listen to K-Fan like all the rest of you and what the Viking players are saying and the coaches and all the rose colored glasses the media has on right now. You all are looking past the Rams and waiting for the Steelers next week. Let me tell you something. I don't think all of Rams are laying down and playing dead just yet. At minimum Vitt will have them ready to play ball this weekend. Claiborne has an ax to grind. Our weak D-line is going against a weak O-line. You all will get a fight this weekend because this team is backed in the corner right now. Don't take everything for granted, this won't be an easy win for you all. Guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by RammieGirl
    SKOL VIKES!!!

What does SKOL stand for, I forget regarding the Vikings?
    Your answer: (From Wikipedia)
    Skol, Vikings is the fight song of the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. It was introduced around the time the team was founded in 1961.

The old recording is usually played whenever the team scores, accompanied by cheerleaders carrying flags that spell out the team's name, as per the lyrics:

Skol, Vikings! Let's win this game.
    Skol, Vikings! Honor your name.
    Go get that first down
    Then get a touchdown,
    Rock 'em, sock 'em, fight, fight, fight, fight!
    Go, Vikings! Run out the score;
    You'll hear us yell for more.
    V-I-K-I-N-G-S!
    Skol, Vikings! Let's go!

Skol (written skål in norwegian, and sometimes "Skoal" in English) is the Norwegian word for a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Unlike a lot of my Ram friends here...I have a lot of confidence in the Rams this weekend. Football is a game of match-ups, confidence and game planning. Contrary to what the media is feeding all you Viking fans here in Minnesota, your team is not all that good. Your offensive line is a mess. Your QB is accurate for 4 yards. Your backs are banged up and average. And your WR have been over hyped and mediocre. Defensively you have preformed the last couple of weeks as was expected at the beginning of the season. And Smoot is on his way back this week.

Your over confidence.

I listen to K-Fan like all the rest of you and what the Viking players are saying and the coaches and all the rose colored glasses the media has on right now. You all are looking past the Rams and waiting for the Steelers next week. Let me tell you something. I don't think all of Rams are laying down and playing dead just yet. At minimum Vitt will have them ready to play ball this weekend. Claiborne has an ax to grind. Our weak D-line is going against a weak O-line. You all will get a fight this weekend because this team is backed in the corner right now. Don't take everything for granted, this won't be an easy win for you all. Guaranteed
    This is a good week for the Rams. I like how we matchup in this game. If we go in there determined to run the football, then we should win.If we abandon the running game, then we will lose this game. We also get to see our old friend Koren Robinson again.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Your offensive line is a mess. Your QB is accurate for 4 yards. Your backs are banged up and average. And your WR have been over hyped and mediocre. Defensively you have preformed the last couple of weeks as was expected at the beginning of the season. And Smoot is on his way back this week.

Your over confidence.

Yes, the offensive line is a confusing situation. The Vikings have had decent line play for the past few weeks, but it hasn't come from the same group of guys. We'll have the same group starting this week as last week, but the coaches won't hesitate to sub out a guy that is struggling. That's been their MO the past few weeks; keep rotating the guys until something works. The line play has been improving as a result.

It's true that Brad Johnson prefers the short passing game, but he was accurate enough on that 80 yard touchdown to Koren Robinson last week. That ball traveled at least 50 yards in the air, and hit Robinson in stride. I think the reason for the short passing game is that the o-line had been struggling, and they needed to get the ball out quickly. With the recently inproved line play, and the re-emergence of Koren Robinson, I believe the deep ball will be more of an option than it has been.

The running backs are banged up. Moore's been dealing with a couple sprained ankles, but should be starting this week. Bennett tweaked his ankle on the ice earlier this week, but said it's nothing, and he's having no problems with it now.

The wide receivers have been a solid group, but not spectacular. They haven't had any one guy as the main threat. We're starting to see some of that from Koren Robinson, so we'll see how this develops.

It took our defense longer to gel than we had hoped, but you're right, they are starting to live up to preseason expectations. Those expectations were pretty high, so this is a good thing for the Vikings. Smoot is on the way back from his broken collar bone, but at least for this week, that will only be for nickel packages, possibly not at all if he doesn't have full range of motion in both his arms.

As far as our overconfidnce goes, I haven't seen any sign of it. Admittedly, I don't get to listen to KFAN, or see any local coverage, since I live in Illinois. However, with what I've read, the team seems to understand that we need every possible win to have a chance to catch the Bears. The local media may be looking ahead to the Steelers game. The Steelers are the biggest test still left on the schedule, and so that game is a better story. But, I haven't heard anything like that from the players.

I do think this will be a tough fought game. I think last week should have served as a wake up call to the Rams. You only ran for 49 yards last week, and you've only averaged 67 rushing yards per game over the last four weeks, while giving up 162 rush YPG over that span. With a player like Steven Jackson on your team, that doesn't make sense.

But the most important stat is always points. Over the last 4 weeks, you've averaged 21.5, we've averaged 22.25. However, you've given up 30 points per game. We've only given up 16.5. I don't think we'll get to that 30 mark, but I could see us getting to the mid-20s. I don't see your rookie QB getting more than 17.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by josdin00
    Your answer: (From Wikipedia)
    Thanks Josdin00, I was just curious since I have heard SKOL associated with the Vikes before.