Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Good Season, Guys

What a bitterly disappointing loss. I don't think there's any doubt that at this point in time, help at the Wide Receiver position is going to be critical to any successes we're going to have moving forward. The officiating was far from competent today, and we had a number of bad calls go against us that turned into pivotal points in the game.

Bradford's INT was simply a bad throw by a young player at the worst possible time in the game. That's the second time this season and I think that both of those passes are going to be cornerstones from which he'll continue to grow and learn as a young player.

I'm not calling for Pat Shurmur's head. To a point, I understand the gameplan he called wholeheartedly. The fact that the receivers dropped every pass attempt but one that went for more than ten yards is a testament to why we haven't thrown the ball deep often this season: we just can't. As a matter of fact, every drive that we attempted which featured a pass attempt of more than ten yards was either a three-and-out or ended in a turnover. I don't think that that is Pat Shurmur's fault.

I will, however, be the first to admit that Shurmur desperately needed to involve Steven Jackson more today. Seven carries in the first half is nowhere near good enough. He's a player who is proven to be more effective when he receives his touches as the game continues, and tonight, Shurmur didn't call enough plays wherein Steven Jackson was the focal point.

Now, I'd like to address a couple of wild criticisms which I'm predicting will be thrown out in the next hour or so.

Firstly, Steve Spagnuolo is not overrated, and he will and fully deserves to keep his job next year. He's taken a 1-15 team and has turned them into a playoff contender. With a few more pieces, we could make a deep playoff run next year.

Secondly, Sam Bradford is not overrated, and he will and fully deserves to keep his job next year. He's taken a 1-15 team and has turned them into a playoff contender. With a few more pieces, we could make a deep playoff run next year.

It's been a promising year for Rams fans. We're now in an ideal position in the NFL Draft to add one of the best WR's in the 2011 class, and I fully expect us to make a real dash at adding one of them to our roster. We have a Quarterback of the Future and starters entrenched at both OT positions and at Center. We have a pro bowl running back and the all-purpose yardage leader in 2010 on our roster already. If we get Bradford somebody to throw to, if we can find starters on the interior line, and if we can address the holes at the OLB and SS positions on our roster, we could be in for a big season next year.

Commendable effort, guys, and here's to a big offseason, a new CBA, and an even bigger 2011 Season!!

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

Re: Good Season, Guys

Deserves a bump. Good post!

UserName is offline Registered User

Well said.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i like the thread i like it!!!!!!!! Everything you said in there is spot on sir...

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

According to Mike Sando on ESPN, we will be drafting 14th. How much of our draft would we have to give up to get A.J. Green....

Truth is offline Registered User

I'm sure you're right BBQ. But I'm still too angry to think that calmly. I saw a team that came out flat, with a gameplan that hasn't changed much in a month or more, and guys that couldn't execute it.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    According to Mike Sando on ESPN, we will be drafting 14th. How much of our draft would we have to give up to get A.J. Green....
    More than I'd be willing to. If he falls into 5-10 territory I'd start thinking about it. As it stands, we'll have to move up to two or three to get our hands on Green, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I'm sure you're right BBQ. But I'm still too angry to think that calmly. I saw a team that came out flat, with a gameplan that hasn't changed much in a month or more, and guys that couldn't execute it.
    Which, I think, says a great deal about the players that we do have. They couldn't execute any of the longer pass plays we attempted, which I can only assume is the reason for such a vanilla gameplan. What I fail to understand is why on earth we neglected to get our best player involved in the game. As far as I'm concerned, that part IS on the playcalling, and as much as I don't think Shurmur should be fired, he still has a lot to answer for in regard to Jackson's involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Which, I think, says a great deal about the players that we do have. They couldn't execute any of the longer pass plays we attempted, which I can only assume is the reason for such a vanilla gameplan. What I fail to understand is why on earth we neglected to get our best player involved in the game. As far as I'm concerned, that part IS on the playcalling, and as much as I don't think Shurmur should be fired, he still has a lot to answer for in regard to Jackson's involvement.
    I don't think Shurmur should be fired either. For one thing, Spags has a headset on and can overrule a play if he wishes. Spags also has say in what the gameplan will be going into the week. So, heaping it all on Shurmur is a bit over the top.

As for Jackson, I think our O-lines inability to open a hole larger than a doughnut might have somethjing to do with it. We couldn't open much for 39 against the Seahawks, and they're one of the worst run defenses in the league. However, when you only pass the ball behind or within 5 - 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, it brings a whole lot of defensive players into the box.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Tonight ruined the season for me, sorry. Flame away if you wish, I'm in no mood to argue

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Tonight ruined the season for me, sorry. Flame away if you wish, I'm in no mood to argue
    No flame coming from me; I feel the same way. I think the reason I feel so let down is that, rightly or wrongly, I considered this game our Superbowl. I did not expect us to win next week against a much better team. So, this was the Superbowl for us. We were pretty much out of the game from the openning kick-off. It's going to take awhile.

EDIT: P.S.--I wanted a hat!
    Last edited by Truth; -01-03-2011 at 02:44 AM.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Finally a thread devoid of insanity. Well said BBQ!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Finally a thread devoid of insanity. Well said BBQ!
    Right on RFTID. Thank you BBQ!

Tonight's debacle obviously left much to be desired and I'm really disppointed, but yes, it was a good season and there ARE improvements in progress that should prove / produce according to the Rams potential.

We certainly did lay on egg for the last game of the season and the chance to win the division. Uy, did we look bad!

I sincerely look forward to the Rams being a better team in 2011, above the rest of the West Division. More wins.

PS: Go New Orleans!
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-03-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Format