MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A good start is a good possibility for the Rams ..

by Rick Venturi

The Rams of 2010 should view the first 8 games of the schedule as a real window of opportunity. The first month opponents feature Arizona, Oakland, Washington, and Seattle, with the second month featuring Detroit, San Diego, Tampa Bay and Carolina.

Oakland, Washington, Seattle, Detroit, and Tampa were bottom feeders in 2009. The Redskins and Seahawks were forced to make coaching changes, while Oakland’s Tom Cable along with Tampa’s Raheem Morris held on by a thread and remain on life support. The Lions 2-14 season, despite solid direction from Jim Schwartz, was brutal.

Let us progress from the bottom 5 to the Carolina Panthers. This is a team that needed a miraculous finish (winning their last 4 of 5, after benching quarterback Jake Delhomme) to go 8-8. Since January they have lost their two most dynamic defenders, the incomparable Julius Peppers and playmaker Thomas Davis. If that weren’t enough, add the physical uncertainty of the always explosive Steve Smith, and they are really looking shaky. The quarterback situation is now a work in progress, and only another superb coaching job by the underrated John Fox will keep the Panthers from total disaster.

Moving on, Arizona finds itself in complete transition. After a truly great run with Kurt Warner, the Cardinals rose to the upper tier of the league. With the loss of Warner, Anquan Boldin, Karlos Dansby, and Antrell Rolle, the Cards will be a shadow of their former selves and will drop back to the pack. Fitzgerald’s injury casts further doubt on an already depleted receiver corps. As a matter of fact, the Birds have lost more players to retirement and free agency than any team in recent history. Quarterbacks Derek Anderson and the listless Matt Leinart have both struggled in the pre-season, and this has shaken the Cards faithful to the core. Coach Ken Whisenhunt will do his best to transition to a balanced attack, but will find it a tough challenge without the magnificent passing game of Warner.

While most people dwell on the Cards offense, we can’t overlook the defensive slide they experienced in the last two playoff games. In those two games they surrendered 911 yards and 90 points. They certainly won’t start the 2010 season with much defensive confidence. Opening with Arizona gives the Rams the huge advantage of catching them in transition, and at their most vulnerable point.

San Diego remains the only upper tier opponent in the first half of 2010 despite the contract issues involving top receiver Vincent Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeil. In addition they will be relying on untested rookie Ryan Mathews to account for 1,300 yards.

The first 8 weeks will provide a real measuring stick to see where the Rams are. The schedule gives them a real opportunity to show progress.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Re: A good start is a good possibility for the Rams ..

If last Thursday was any indication, I see no reason why we can't go 5-3.

thermobee is offline Registered User

One week at a time. I just hope our starters have a good outing against the Ravens tomorrow and of course come out of the game injury free.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Has that 36 point outburst at Gillette Stadium increased everyones hopes of a major upgrade in our win/loss record? I am a die-hard RAMS fan but have been fooled many times by overrating our team. I think it's still to early to start drinking the kool-aid. I hope we win all 16 and then sweep through the playoffs. Just not convinced....yet?

GO RAMS!!!

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Has that 36 point outburst at Gillette Stadium increased everyones hopes of a major upgrade in our win/loss record? I am a die-hard RAMS fan but have been fooled many times by overrating our team. I think it's still to early to start drinking the kool-aid. I hope we win all 16 and then sweep through the playoffs. Just not convinced....yet?

GO RAMS!!!

Of course it has, but put little stock into that because a lot of those attitudes will change after the first loss. The regular season is an entirely different animal.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

GO RAMS!!!
    One word: HOPE !!