Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Truth is offline Registered User

Goodell says "Nothing New" in Spygate

After interviewing Matt Walsh, Commissioner Goodell says that there is nothing new to report. Everything that was said is consistant with what the Patriots were punished for already.

Question: If Walsh had nothing extra to add, Why did he insist on being completely absolved of any responsibility for, or free from any punishment before he would testify or bring any tapes in?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Goodell says "Nothing New" in Spygate

To lengthen his time in the spotlight. I'm sure he'll get a book deal next week too.

moloch41 is offline Registered User
    The NFL made a huge mistake saying that there was "Nothing New" before ever viewing the tapes or talking to Walsh. They are just further propagating the notion that they are covering something up with actions like that even if they aren't. They do seem determined to prove the Patriots innocent rather than reviewing the evidence and making that decision.
    Last edited by moloch41; -05-13-2008 at 02:41 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Moloch, this was Goodell's statement AFTER interviewing Walsh and seeing the tapes. In my opinion that makes it even more fishy as I have to imagine that Walsh would have presented something new.

Here's hoping that Specter actually does some digging. The evidence of the lack of a real interview of Walsh will come clear when the Commissioner's handicap goes down a few strokes!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Question: If Walsh had nothing extra to add, Why did he insist on being completely absolved of any responsibility for, or free from any punishment before he would testify or bring any tapes in?
    Because he didn't want to take any chances? Odds are he wasn't completely clued in on what the NFL had and whether or not he was adding anything new, so he wanted to protect himself.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Moloch, this was Goodell's statement AFTER interviewing Walsh and seeing the tapes. In my opinion that makes it even more fishy as I have to imagine that Walsh would have presented something new.

Here's hoping that Specter actually does some digging. The evidence of the lack of a real interview of Walsh will come clear when the Commissioner's handicap goes down a few strokes!
    No, the NFL actually released a statement saying the same thing BEFORE they even received the tapes. He's just saying the same thing they said days ago.

Sen. Arlen Specter warned the NFL not to rush to judgment Thursday, suggesting the league is premature in trying to put the Spygate saga to rest.

Specter, R-Pa., spoke as commissioner Roger Goodell and top league officials prepared to view videotapes turned over by former New England Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh. Specter, the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, has been critical of the investigation the league conducted into the Patriots' illicit taping practices.

"I think it is very unfortunate that the NFL has already started its 'nothing new' spin before watching the tapes or finding out what Matt Walsh has to say," Specter said. "Let's see where the evidence leads."

Walsh, employed by the Patriots from 1997 to 2003, is scheduled to meet with league officials Tuesday in New York. After that session, he is to travel to Washington and sit down with Specter and his staff.

Specter formally requested the league make available to him the evidence turned over by Walsh, which consists of eight tapes dating from 2000 through 2003. But as of Thursday night he had not gotten confirmation on when, or even if, he'd get the tapes.

"As a matter of basic fair play, I got to have the time to prepare," said Specter. "It's equal access … I'm waiting for them."

Goodell, however, suggested in a letter last Friday that Specter would eventually gain access to the tapes, saying: "Once I see the material I will be in a better position to respond … [I'm] confident we'll be able to make satisfactory arrangements for you or key staff to review the material."

Specter has complained about the lack of cooperation from the NFL as his staff has attempted to delve into the matter. Very few key individuals have spoken when approached by staff members. And attorneys for the Patriots and New York Jets have advised team employees against speaking with Specter.

"I got three pages of people who refused to talk to me,'' he said.
    Last edited by moloch41; -05-13-2008 at 02:41 PM.

I also find it incredibly hard to believe that the Patriots only did this 7 or 8 times in Bellichek's tenure. If, like he said, he didn't realize it was a violation of the rules, why wouldn't he do it every game?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Nothing new how about Walsh was on the practice field during the walk thru and then reported back what he saw. Now I don't know how the Rams would not remove a guy in Pats gear watching the walk thru. Per ESPN.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I also find it incredibly hard to believe that the Patriots only did this 7 or 8 times in Bellichek's tenure. If, like he said, he didn't realize it was a violation of the rules, why wouldn't he do it every game?
    i have said this very thing from the beginning he felt it wasnt no harm in doing it so i would guess he used the spying in every gameplan i would
    Torry Holt Dont play that

Pape is offline Registered User

Spygate is a dead issue.

The Patriots video taped teams signals. The Patriots were caught video taping red handed by the league. When called on the carpet, they fessed up to the violations. The Patriots were sanctioned by the league for the violations. The sanctions, as the commissioner stated, were "unprecedented".

What did we learn today? That the league screened the tapes for the media. The tapes were consistent with what was on the Jets tape and consistent with what the Patriots said they had done. There was no superbowl walk thru tape made by the Patriots. And most telling was Walsh saying that the tapes were not used during the game.

So after hearing all of that, how can one conclude that this issue still has legs? But I guess for some reason just doesn't work. Oh well, conspiracy theorists you might as well rage on.........

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Because he didn't want to take any chances? Odds are he wasn't completely clued in on what the NFL had and whether or not he was adding anything new, so he wanted to protect himself.
    I thought of that too. But, so much time passed between the time the story broke to the time that an agreement was reached. It seems a bit odd that Walsh'e attorney (or Walsh for that matter) wouldn't have known more about what info the NFL did, or did not have. I'm really not a conspiracy theorist. I just find this all abit odd.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It's stupid. I understand that we're Rams fans and want nothing but the team to get punished. But it shows that the NFL has to protect their reputation.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I also find it incredibly hard to believe that the Patriots only did this 7 or 8 times in Bellichek's tenure.
    Anyone who actually believes that is truely deluded. I'm fairly certain that this happened constantly on Belichick's watch. It would not surprise me that the Pats destroyed the bulk of the evidence the second the story broke...well before the NFL asked for any tapes, or just as likely that they destroyed most of the tapes even after the NFL asked for them.

There was no superbowl walk thru tape made by the Patriots.
    Why should any one believe that....because you say so? Please...spare me.

Anyone who's been cheating for years and then says...."Yeah, but we didn't cheat in the Super Bowl" has zero credibility with that statement...even if it's true.

Regardless, even if the Super Bowl walk through was not taped, I guarantee that there was a tape made during the Rams-Pats regular season game (even if it was not produced by the Pats at the NFL's request), and that would have been infinitely more useful than any walk through.

On top of that, the real travesty perpetrated by the NFL is the sorry excuse for officiating we were forced to witness in that Super Bowl.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

blood85 is offline Registered User

With all this talk of Spygate, I'd like to put in my 2 cents. I'm still very bitter about this loss. Do I think the patriots Cheated? Yes. Do I think the tapes created an advantage? Yes. Will we get our trophy back no. Goodell knows he jacked up this "Investigation" (for lack of a better term) and took the easy way out by trying to put this to rest. The Patriots Cheated, they got the win by cheating, we will not be compensated, Goodell knows this as does Belichoke and the patriots.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'm with Woody Paige on this. Every game that they taped, they should forfeit, including the AFC Championship game.
    Then he was asked "What about the Super Bowl?"
    and he said...

"GIVE IT TO THE RAMS."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast