RamWraith is offline Registered User

Goodspeed gets tough competition from Hedgecock

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/30/2005

The Rams drafted Madison Hedgecock hoping he would push incumbent Joey Goodspeed at fullback. One month into training camp and the preseason, that's exactly what has happened.

"We thought bringing in Madison Hedgecock would get Joey to the next level," running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery said recently. "At the same time, you cannot be at a level and let a rookie catch up to you. Especially when you've been in the structure and the scheme for a couple years. Now the race has gotten so close. Who's got the biggest kick when you're coming into the homestretch?"

With one preseason game remaining, it appears the steady Goodspeed will retain the starting job. But Hedgecock, a seventh-round pick from North Carolina, has made his presence felt.

"I like his attitude," Montgomery said. "He's a nasty kid. ... Coming out of school, he was an animal. And we'd like to see that beast come back out of him. He won't back down from you."

As for Goodspeed, Montgomery said, "He's had a solid camp."

But, Montgomery added, "We still want the bar to be raised at that position."

Hedgecock is a little bigger and a little stronger. But Goodspeed has more experience and knows the St. Louis offense. And in the Rams' precision offense, knowledge is everything.

Hedgecock is trying to get comfortable with the playbook, a task made more difficult by the fact that he also is doing some work at tight end.

"When you're learning, you're not playing as fast as you can," Hedgecock said. "But once you start learning what to do, then you're going full speed. The more I learn, the more I can see on the field and know where to be, the more I can play aggressively."

Hedgecock certainly didn't look tentative Monday night in Detroit, bullying his way past would-be tacklers and then diving into the end zone on an 11-yard touchdown reception from Jamie Martin late in the third quarter.

"It's one of those plays that you don't expect out of a rookie fullback," coach Mike Martz said. "Madison's really stepped up and done a nice job."

That play notwithstanding, Hedgecock realizes that scoring touchdowns won't be a prominent part of his job description.

"My role's a special-teams player and a lead blocker," Hedgecock said. "That's what it's always been. ... Pretty much special teams is how a rookie really establishes himself."

So for now, Hedgecock isn't obsessing over gaining the starting job.

"I've just got to come out and do what I can do, and try to play to the best of my ability," he said. "And whatever happens after that, that takes place on its own."

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Goodspeed gets tough competition from Hedgecock

Can they both make the team? joey the g is not going to get cut, i think hedgecock makes it as a special teamer and swing guy between fullback and tight end. this is the kind of roster spot that might be available when we dont carry a 6th wide receiver.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We need more Bashers like Steven Jackson, Chris Claiborne and Anthony Hargrove.

Hedgecock for President !:football:

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i love the way hedgecock plays. he will make the team and next year he will be the starter

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Can they both make the team? joey the g is not going to get cut, i think hedgecock makes it as a special teamer and swing guy between fullback and tight end. this is the kind of roster spot that might be available when we dont carry a 6th wide receiver.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Before camp, none of us would have thought we'd go in with two legitimate FBs, but now I'd say that's exactly what we're going to do.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I get the impression that the guy Hedgecock is truly competing with for a roster spot isn't Goodspeed, but rather Jerome Collins. I think Hedge has the edge (see how I did a little rhyming thing there), while Collins has "practice squad" written all over him.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Definitely this guy's play on special teams has caught everyone's attention. That TD play only added fuel to this fire. I'm not sure I've seen Hedgecock do that much as a lead blocker, but he's got the size, and then some, so I would imagine he will be a good lead blocker someday.

I agree that with this complicated playbook, Goodspeed gets the nod, but in my mind, this has become an issue of "how soon can we transition this position from Goodspeed to Hedgecock". And the answer could be, later this season.

Either way, solid Special Teams guy. Always around the ball. I'll gladly trade Ridgeway for this guy, if that is how it went down.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I Agree Hedgecock Will Make Some Plays This Season,where As Ridgeway Would Have Been Standing On The Sidelines