Ray: Hey Jeff:
Great signing by the Rams. Brown will anchor our O-line. I am now on board the Curry bandwagon. I was on Crabtree, but after the combine I am now sold on Curry. With the No. 2 pick I believe BPA is the best strategy. There is no clear, dominant OT in this draft. Look what has happened when we picked for need (see Tye Hill, Carriker). And recall we selected Steven Jackson at No. 24, when we really didnt have an urgent "need" for a RB, but we took him becaused he was just too good to pass up. If Detroit does not select Curry, the Rams need to grab him. Then we either grab the best Tackle that slips, or grab one of the WR that slips into Round 2 (Nicks, Heyward-Bey, Britt). Thanks for your time, your thoughts?

Jeff Gordon: There is much love for Curry at Rams Park. He could play inside or outside, which would allow the new staff to find the best way to use Witherspoon. You are right about the tackles; as this thing plays out, it seems less likely that one of this guys will be worth the second overall pick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Stafford: Hello Jeff.

I want to be the first to personally thank Billy Devaney and Steve Spaguolo for doing the best thing for this team by cutting Loserhan's first class bust Drew Bennett! Finally some accountability at Rams Park. Who would have thunk it!
Jeff Gordon: Addition by subtraction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed in Vancouver: HELLO GORDO,

Who do you think would be targets for the Rams in free angency at the Middle linebacker position???
Jeff Gordon: Not much there in free agency, which is why Curry is an appealing pick.

Ed in Vancouver: HELLO GORDO,

I have a feeling in the second or third wave of free agency they will sign a 'new' starting right tackle, and gladly use Alex Baron as the 3rd OT.
Reason being in two folds A) power running teams gotta be able to run (normally to the right side of the OL) B) Baron isn't a good run block PERIOD.
Your Thoughts?
Jeff Gordon: With Pace apparently on the trade block, left tackle is a bigger concern. Barron could move there, but then it would still be a concern. There are a few decent tackles out there left in free agency and there many draft candidates. Expect change.

ram4life: Gordo, who do you think we take no. 2 overall? I hoping and praying its Curry.
Jeff Gordon: Right now he is the hot guy at Rams Park. Don't rule out Crabtree, despite the injury. But that might only happen with a trade down.

gerald: it seems to me that the rams are wasting time waiting for teams to trade for(holt and pace) when they should release them to clear cap space and try and sign some f.a. do u see it that way
Jeff Gordon: The Rams weren't nearly as ambitious in free agency as fans wanted them to be. They made a big score for the O-line and would like to do the same at safety. But they don't want to just whack Pace and Holt without a return. Pace, in particular, could still be a difference maker here. If they can add picks and gain space at the same time, that makes sense.

bss212s: I have this random question that I was curious about.

In the NFL is it possible for a team to win their division by going 6-10?
For example: The Rams beat SF twice, Seattle twice, and Arizona twice. Would they then be undefeated in their division and make the playoffs? Or would even though they beat all the division teams, they would lose out to a team that they beat who won more non division games?
Jeff Gordon: The division team with the best overall record would win the division and make the playoffs.

Ed in Vancouver VCR: GORDO,

Do you forsee Pisa being cut??? If cutting Pisa HELPS keep Bartell they that is a no brainer, agree???
Jeff Gordon: Even Pisa's exit wouldn't guarantee Bartell's return -- since he could still get a totally out-of-whack contract elsewhere.

He is a good player, but the Rams went 5-27 with him the last two years. They could live without him, if the dollars got stupid. Too many other needs to fill!

Rich: Good morning Gordo,

Regarding the on-going negoiations with Butler and Bartell, at what point do you see the Rams going in another direction?

Personally, I can't see them waiting much longer on either of them considering the ever dwindling number of starter quality DBs on the market.
Jeff Gordon: Billy and Spags have their own evaluation of what's left on the market. Billy weighs that against the dollars being asked for. It is a day-to-day process.

magiardino: Gordo, I don't understand why the Rams are so adamant about trading or releasing Orlando Pace. I read where the Rams don't believe he is a dominant blocker anymore, but I also remember reading that he was our best offensive lineman last year, and he got better as the year went on. Why don't the Rams keep him this year and sign Curry or BJ Raji with the second pick? This run-stuffing DT or LB will instantly give the Rams defense the stud/credibility/personnel they need. I would hate to see the Rams draft an offensive tackle who is not worthy of that #2 pick. We need an impact player at that #2 pick. And we need one more year out of the Big O. Thanks!
Jeff Gordon: The Rams could move Pace and take something other than a tackle at No. 2. Right now, in fact, I'd be shocked if they took a tackle No. 2.

Rambeast: How's it going jeff, I got a couple questions.

First why have the Rams not contacted Sean Jones, he seems to be the better SS between him and Butler and yet they are waiting long and hard for Butler. I know Butler played with Spags but Jones is a better all around safety, and Butler seems to be asking for too much.

Also why don't we just keep Big O? He only counts 6.5 mil against the cap, and he still plays at an elite level when healthy. Only 2.5 sacks allowed in 14 starts. we are gonna have to pay that much or more just to replace him. It seems like trading or releasing him would be counter productive. Torry is a different story.
Jeff Gordon: If the Rams can't get a decent pick for Pace -- and spend the money gained very well -- then the Big O may return. It's a two-part deal: Getting ax extra pick to use and extra money to spend. The Rams would like to add lots of solid players this offseason. They aren't looking to hit many home runs.

Will: Afternoon Gordo,

1. Minus the penalties, how would you rate Alex Barron's play on durabilty, pass/run blocking skills.

2. If he were to concentrate and not get the false starts would he be an obvious heir-apparent to Orlando once the big man heads off the the sunset.

3. Is there a possibility that Andre Smith of Alabama could drop down to us with our second pick. He played a full three season's without injury in his career at Alabama-issues or not it seems that he is a very durable tackle who could shore up the right side for quite a long time should Pace depart.

Thank you so much and have a great week-Will
Jeff Gordon: Barron rates as better than OK, but not so good that you would trust left tackle to him for the long haul on a large new deal.

Luke: Gordo:
Other than the #2 pick which I assume will be Curry if he is not taken #1 who elso do you think the rams could draft that would have an impact this season or the next? Any specific names?
Jeff Gordon: Crabtree has their full attention.

Luke: Gordo:
I am glad to see that the rams will be drafting a defensive player and especially a linebacker with the skill set of Curry. Do you see any other key defensive moves this year. Also I just want to throw this out there do you think tennessee would trade a third rounder for Holt?
Jeff Gordon: Expect more defensive moves, yes.

RamsCanDoIt!: Jeff,

How do you feel the Rams did this weekend comaparitively to the Denver Broncos? Seems like the Broncos really focused on the 2nd Tier guys and got most of their Christmas shopping done early?

Your thoughts?
Jeff Gordon: But the Broncos have a massive advantage going after free agents. It is a destination franchise, even without Shanahan.

Stafford Ram: Gordo,
I have never seen or read about Pace stepping up as a leader for the line. Granted he had injuries but I expected him to be more of a force with the younger guys (e.g. Richie). Did you see anything different? I
think Brown is already trying to step in as the leader.
Jeff Gordon: O.P. doesn't have that sort of personality. We'll see if the new guy can pull off the leadership thing.

lloydsugarbear: Do you see Philly as a possible destination for Holt being that McNabb wants them to upgrade their personal before he resigns. What about Pace going to Philly also, they need a LT since they didn't sign or franchise their tackles. Maybe we could get a second round pick from them. Is that possible in your opinion? Also thanks for taking the time on Q&A's.
Jeff Gordon: Maybe Pace is a fit there, but Holt's doesn't project as a long-term WR upgrade to make Donovan happy forever.

TD51: profootballtalk.com states that the Saints have made an offer to Bartell, do you have any awareness of this or if the Rams intend to fight to keep him here?
Jeff Gordon: We've heard the rumblings. Jim Thomas might update you on this issue elsewhere on site.

grimmsta642@yahoo.com: Unless we plan on drafting a running back, do you see any reason why we aren't strongly pursuing a free agent back? Or, did I not catch a story where we may have missed out on one?

Also, I think shipping Holt would be a mistake because we don't have any wxperience at the position when he leaves. Looker is cool, but he's no HOF'er.... Your thoughts on this?
Jeff Gordon: Holt's cap number is a big ticket to pay for experience at a position where second-year players can star.

I think free agency could be a better bet at RB.

The Rookie: What does League sources mean?
Jeff Gordon: Somebody in the inner circle.

ramsfaninnc1963: jeff, i think the earlier post was about Claude Wroten, any news on him?
Jeff Gordon: Oh, Wroten. Same deal. Hard to imagine the new coaches getting involved there, but you never say never.

Hargrove just got over his 1-year ban, so he is looking for a gig.

alrealramfan: Gordo: Please let rams fans know it would be stuip to cut Incognito ,,,,he us the best run blocker on our line ,,,,He firery little of a head case but we need his nastyness and with the signing of brown it will make him and the other gurad bell better and greco will be a soild back up
Jeff Gordon: His upside is really up there. I would not give up on him just yet.

Corey: Hey Gordo,

Do we know what type of defense Spags will be running? Will it be a 3-4 or the 4-3? Also do you think its a good idea to release or trade holt? I mean we do need a vet who can help these young WR's and Holt really hasn't lost a steep we just played very badly these last couple years.
Jeff Gordon: You're going to see the Eagles/Giants defense. That will put a premium on linebacker play, which is why the Curry thing is taking flight.

As for Holt, was there any evidence of his leadership last year?

daddonator: Gordo -
Any inkling as to who is talking with the Rams on trading for Torry Holt, and what level draft pick they may be offering? Thanks.
Jeff Gordon: They'd love to get Tennessee to pony up a No. 1 again, no?

A team like the Giants would be an obvious fit for one year. But you're looking at a second-day pick, in all probability.

lloydsugarbear: What's up Gordo. Just wondering if the Rams renegotiate Holts contract due they still get the salary cap relief if they trade like a sign and trade, or does the whole deal counts toward this cap this year, same thing for Pace. What possibly can the Rams actually expect to get for two players the whole league know they are going to release? I hope they can resign Bartell even if they have to overpay him a little. It seems a shame that we couldn't make the Holt trade last year. Anyway thanks for the Q & A sessions. Do you see a conspiracy left by Zygmut concerning the Bartell issue seeing as though B D wanted to do this last year before he hit the open market, and are their any other things left be Z before he left Rams park that might undermind B D and Spags?
Jeff Gordon: Bartell didn't get signed because nobody was running the franchise. Zygmunt got clipped, Shaw moved aside and the new team wasn't assembled until the off-season. Zygmunt could have done something, I guess, but he was a dead man walking. Nothing more than that, I believe.

A salary renegotiation is done to create more cap room.

jakestuh: Ray Lewis, Too old and expensive for the Rams?
Jeff Gordon: Yes and yes.

JusticeBrian: Hey Gordo,

If the Rams turn their losing ways around in the near future and once again become a strong force in the NFC, do you believe Chip and Lucy will still look to sell the team?

Justice.
Jeff Gordon: Yes -- this is a tax issue, not a competitiveness issue.

daddonator: Gordo -
What can you tell us about the status of Justin King, last year's CB draftee who hurt his knee at the start of training camp and missed the entire season? Is he fully healed, and has he progressed in any way past the pure rookie status? Thanks.
Jeff Gordon: We won't know about him until the team starts working for real this off-season.

daddonator: Gordon -
What's the deal with guard Setterstrom? He looked like a starter in '07 but missed '08 with injury. Now the Rams don't even give him a tender offer? Is the knee never going to be right, or do the new coaches think he's sub-par? Thanks.
Jeff Gordon: Mark has had a couple of really bad injuries, so that may be the drawback. Plus they like Greco and Schuening.

Bermuda Rams: If the Rams fail to sign James Butler do you think they will target Cleveland's Sean Jones or look to get a safety in the draft?
Jeff Gordon: I see them adding a veteran, one way or another.

Scott: Hey Gordo thanks alot for takeing my questions. I have a couple for you.

(1)With the signing of Brown does this mean we wont draft Offencive line with the 1st pick??

(2) I read that brown didnt wanna play for the rams but they offerd him so much he took it. Do you think he'll bring negative energy to the locker room with that?

(3) And finally If the rams trade tory and pace is there a chance we get another 1st round pick and could possibly draft Curry an dpossibly Maclin or maybe even Crabtree if no one drafts him?
Jeff Gordon: I don't see the Rams getting a second first-round pick that high.

Canram: Hi Gordo,

Two quick questions;
1) What could we expect if we trade Torry Holt and Orlando Pace?
2) What players and positions are we going after in F.A.?

Thanks Andrew from Toronto, Canada
Jeff Gordon: They could get mid- to late-round picks for those guys, but every little bit helps.

Free agent tagets: Just about everything.

Mark from Michigan: Jim:

How well did Chris Long progress during the season. Should we expect him to be a future Pro-Bowler, or a bust?
Jeff Gordon: Given his tools and work ethic, he is way more likely to make it big than wash out.

pdub: Gordo..

Which of the two top linebackers - Curry or Maualuga - would you prefer the Rams to pick if that's the direction they go with the #2 overall pick?
What's your
Jeff Gordon: Curry by a mile -- not even close.

Big Thirsty: WILL THE RAMS LOOK AT ANY OTHER FREE AGENT O-LINEMAN
Jeff Gordon: They are still eye-balling tackles, in case Pace exits.

Big Thirsty: ARE THE RAMS CONFORTABLE GOING INTO THE SEASON WITH CHRIS LONG AND LENARD LITTLE AS THE STARTING DE'S
Jeff Gordon: Yes, but depth is an issue for the whole D-line. Victor Adeyanju and James Hall were OK last year, but both are one-dimensional.

Big Thirsty: HOW SOON CAN WE EXPECT THE RAMS TO CONTACT JERMAIN PHILLIPS, ALSO WHEN WILL THEY MAKE A PLAY FOR A FULLBACK...
Jeff Gordon: Fullback is a need, but not an area that will involve heavy bidding.

Joe Stafford: Jeff, how come the Rams havn't had any defensive tackles visit yet? Are they planning to get one in the draft? They need to do something, they are way too soft in the middle.
Jeff Gordon: They need to get more stout, yes. Fans actually pounded the Haynesworth drum right up to the point where he broke the bank.

Tim B: Thanks for taking the time today, Mr. Gordon.

Regarding the Rams #2 overall draft pick, I really like Justin Smith OT from Baylor, but am I crazy? DON'T WE ALREADY HAVE TWO OFFENSIVE TACKLES? I am fully aware that clearing some cap space by dumping Pace would be helpful, but we haven't done that yet!

Why doesn't the discussion start and end with Aaron Curry -- the most talented, most upside, most charismatic, and safest choice in the draft? Enlighten me, Jeff.

-Tim B
Jeff Gordon: I think Curry is No. 1 on their board right now.

Ram Fan in Alabama: How is it that a team like Washington who was at the BOTTOM of the league in cap room at the start of free agency was able to sign over $150 million in new contracts? The Rams are in the middle of the league with cap room and so far all we can muster is overpaying for 1 offensive lineman? I really hope that Bell eventually works out at guard for us, but we did the same thing with him... I do think that Brown will be a solid center, but will he be worth all that money we just shelled out???

I guess I am just scratching my head as to how Washington (and these other teams) with WAY, WAY less cap room seem to always find a way to sign players that we "can't afford"... and yes, I know you can't "buy" a championship team and I'm not necessarily in favor of Washington's recent signings, I'm just confused about the cap I suppose.
Jeff Gordon: The Redskins make insane decisions that leave gaping holes all over their roster, which explains why they can't get back in the title hunt. I can't believe they just made that guy the highest paid defensive player ever.

chrisdavidg: El Gordorino,

Ok so I am sure you are tired of hearing the Pace/Holt questions, I am sure something will happen this week. As far as Michael Vick being our backup, what are our chances of landing him. What is the cap hit for bringing someone like Vick into Ram Nation.
Jeff Gordon: I don't see any team taking on that salary. So he will likely become a free agent at some point. And I don't see him getting premium money to go anywhere.

Can he play quarterback in a conventional offense? Maybe, maybe not. The Rams are looking for a pure back-up for Bulger and Vick seems not to be that guy.

Tackleberry: Where do you think the Rams organization is on Barron right now? If they trade Pace or draft someone other than a OT with that first pick, Barron becomes a very large part of the future of this club, right? And if that happens, doesn't that sort of create an Adam Kennedy-esque scenario for the Rams?
Jeff Gordon: If Pace, Barron has value next year. After that, it will depend on how he plays. Either he wins over the New Regime or he doesn't.

Joe Stafford: Jeff, are the Rams really tinkering with the idea of a second day pick for either Pace or Holt? Neither one will redo their contract? Strange how a players career can nosedive.
Jeff Gordon: Both guys are potential Hall of Famers, but so is Marvin Harrison -- and we saw what just happened to him.

Ed in Vancouver: hello Gordo,

Who do you see the Lions taking w/ the 1st pick in the draft? I really believe the Lions will mess us up by taking J-Smooth Jason Smith OT Baylor. Reason being at the end of the day teams build around QB/LT/DE thus were forced to take E. Monroe.
I hope we get J-Smooth he's the cornerstone piece we need, do you agree/disagree or thoughts???
Jeff Gordon: Right now, I'd guess the Rams would take Curry instead.

Ed in Vancouver: Hello Gordo,

How do you see Billy & Spags upgrading the DE/DL position??? The UFA's are a weak class unless they pull a magic trick and get peppers (can't see that happening at all, thats fan wishful thinking)
Do any of the RFA like a Jason Hunter Packer worth targeting???
Jeff Gordon: Good question -- and I have answer. This situation explains why Little got retained, no questions asked.

Joe Stafford: Jeff, if the Rams trade/cut Holt, where is their #1 coming from? No disrespect but Donnie Avery is hardly a #1 yet!
Jeff Gordon: Burton has big upside, too. I like the speed/possession combo. But I would like to see another impact guy added one way or another

Plant from Philly: Hey Gordo

Since we shopping Pace and Holt that means we are drafting a OT with the 2nd pick of the draft. Also dont you think it would be great if we signed Nate Washington to be our #1 Wr the would be amazing Washington Avery as our #2 and with Burton our #3?
Jeff Gordon: At this point, I'd be surprised if the Rams drafted an OT first or bid on a price free agent at WR.

Jack: Brown looks like a great sign. Do Rams still go OL with #2 or maybe Curry? Will Curry still be on the board? Is Crabtree completely out of the picture?
Jeff Gordon: No, Crabtree isn't completely out of the picture.

Svengo: It seems that Curry is the hot name for many fans in the first right now. What do you think of the 2nd round OTs?
My favorite unless someone unexpectedly drops would be Loadholt. In footwork drills he might not excel but one the field he is huge. Might be best at RT but Barron seems more suited(body type and athleticism) as a LT and if he cant get his focus on he will be gone anyway. This would get us much bigger both on O and D like Spags want. Guessing Curry will never happen if Pace is gone though, or is there still a chance?

Thanks R
Jeff Gordon: If Pace leaves, the team could still go elsewhere will the first pick and rely on the OT draft depth to get somebody later.

RJ: Gordo: What is your opinion of the signing of Brown to play center. Do you think he can help make a more disciplined player out of Incognito?
Jeff Gordon: Adding a Pro Bowl type guy the middle ought to make the whole group better. But the need to get stronger at tackle is still glaring.

Richie is Richie. Moving him to center might have settled him some, but that won't happen now . . .

Big Thirsty: WHAT IS THE FEELING AROUND RAMS PARK ABOUT MICHEAL CRABTREE
Jeff Gordon: Billy likes him. He doesn't need to seem him run at his pro day to draft him. Billy is more concerned about Michael being ready for all the off-season work, should the Rams take him.

Big Thirsty: DO RAMS REALIZE THAT THEY CANT WAIT FOR EVER ON THESE TWO GUYS OR THEY WILL MISS OUT ON DWINDILING FREE AGENT GROUP. BUTLER IS REPRESENTED BY THE POSTEN BROTHERS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!
Jeff Gordon: If he doesn't sign, he doesn't sign. The Rams are watching the market closely, watching to see if the right player shows at the right price.

Big Thirsty: WHY DONT THE RAMS TAKE A LOOK AT RAY LEWIS. I MEAN THE LEADERSHIP ALONE WOULD BE WORTH IT. THE RAMS WILL HAVE A YOUNG NEW TEAM AND RAY IN THE MIDDLE WILL BE A FAR BETTER OPTION THEN ANY ONE ELSE THEY CAN GET. WE BASICALLY HAVE 1 LINEBACKER WORTH KEEPING I MEAN THATS HARSH TO SAY BUT WE ALL KNOW ITS THE TRUTH.ARE THEY EVEN LOOKING AT ANY OTHER LINEBACKERS IN FREE AGENCY. MIKE PETERSON MAYBE?
Jeff Gordon: He is a twilight player demanding huge money. He is better suited to help a contender win a Super Bowl than a rebuilding team.

Big Thirsty: DO THE RAMS PLAN ON DRAFTING A QB, SINCE THERE IS A LACK OF INTEREST FROM THEM IN TERMS OF FREE AGENT POSSIBILITY'S. WILL THE STONGLY CONSIDER MATT STAFFORD OR MARK SANCHEZ
Jeff Gordon: They will not strong consider either QB. Later, yes, they could add somebody.

TD51: I'm sure that updates will come as avail on Bartell & Butler. What do you think the odds are we sign Bartell? Butler?

Also, w/ noting that Garcia is a no go, are you aware of any word within the team that they have someone on the radar? And why not bring in Garcia, he is one of the better players out there avail to step in if Bulger still struggles.

Thanks!
Jeff Gordon: Interesting that the Rams want a pure back-up for Bulger, not a challenger. Jeff would not have fit that mold in any way. Most of the guys available have some upside . . . but most will also need some rebuilding.

Big Thirsty: WHO ARE THE RAMS LOOKING AT FOR A NUMBER 2 RUNNING BACK. WHAT ARE THOUGHTS ON CEDRIC BENSON
Jeff Gordon: An, Cedric the Entertainer. He finally looked like a possible No. 1 last year. Interesting guy. Tough to say what his financial clout is right now.

Dave C: Jim , now that Kitna has been traded from Detroit,do you feel that Detroit has tipped their hand a will draft a QB with the #1 pick?If that's the case,what do you place the Rams chances at taking Curry #2?Any chance the we bring in Dre'Bly for a look ?
Jeff Gordon: The Rams would love to see Detroit go for Stafford and Sanchez and allow them to decide on Curry.

Bly is an interesting guy. He's earned big money in his career, but's tougher to set a value for him now.

Fresno Ram Fan: Hey Gordo,

Please tell me the Rams are going to sign another FA? Have you heard anything regarding Leonard Weaver or if the Rams are even interested? How about James Butler? Is he or isnt he going to be a Ram? Thanx
Jeff Gordon: Too bad the Rams didn't lock up Butler on his visit, but they apparently didn't get close. Their approach will be dictated by their ability or inability to move Pace and Holt in deals.