throwback week

Thread: Gordo Live

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Gordo Live

Gordo Live
    Monday, May 11, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rambunctious: Hi Jeff!

Has Claude Wroten been participating in the off season workouts along with other participating players, or does his suspension prevent him from doing so? If the Rams are planning on releasing him, why don't they just do it? What is to be gained by waiting?

What jersey number has been assigned to Orien Harris, and why is he not listed on the Rams' roster?

Jeff Gordon: I'm sure the Harris number/roster issue will be resolved before the final mini-camp. It doesn't matter much now. His bigger concern will be actually making the team.

Wroten must be reinstated by the NFL before he can participate in anything. I would expect the Rams to move on without him.

goldhorns: hi gordo,
    with the release of Tinoisamoa, we are now very thin at linebacker and DT. what may be in the "cards" going forward?? i find it crazy that we have no experience at WR, and no depth at LB or DT. Please tell me that we have intensions on addressing this?? we must, no??
    thanks for your time.

Jeff Gordon: The Rams addressed the DT issue by moving Brian Leonard to Cincy for Orien Harris. Harris and Scott are behind Carriker and Ryan.

Also, Victor Adeyanju can play inside. The Rams added some guys to get through camp, but they are vulnerable to injury.

Pisa's exit frees up money to spend at LB and elsewhere. He was shaping up as Witherspoon's back-up, so the team turned the page. I agree that Culberson, Vobora, Chamberlain and Larry Grant don't provide compelling depth.

COGzilla: Good move letting pisa go and trading leonard. They were just part of a crowded situation at their spots.

Please tell me that they have their eyes on a sam backer and some more dline help.thanks.

Jeff Gordon: Again, Pisa's exit opening up a small budget for off-season shopping. As we've seen, Spagnuolo and Devaney will keep adjusting the roster in advance of training camp.

jccardinalfan: Do the Rams have any tricks up their sleeve for the rest of the off season?? Trades? FA?

Jeff Gordon: Expect them to tinker still, although they have move just about everybody who doesn't appear to fit their plans.

virginiatom: Knowing now that the Rams are playing Smith at right tackle, do you think that they should have used the #2 overall pick on a more critical position need, such as WR or LB or DT? It seems that right tackle wasn't the most critical need in the draft and that it could have been filled with a later round selection.

Jeff Gordon: Spagnoulo wants to pound the ball on the ground. Tackle was still a top need, left or right, once Pace left. And Jackson will run behind the right tackle. Smith is considered an excellent run blocker. In time, Smith could move to the left side. Or, if Barron comes around, perhaps he could stay where he is.

But he offers a massive upgrade over Adam Goldberg.

virginiatom: Of all the veteran receivers out there, why did the Rams go for Carter? His resume is full of unproductive efforts on several different teams, which should be a red flag to this organization. What do they see in him which has lead the Rams to by pass those that are still out there that could fill the roll of a possession type receiver?

Jeff Gordon: Carter is a depth guy, no more. The Cards believe they already have traded for (Robinson) and drafted (Foster) their back-up WRs. And Derek Stanley has a real chance if he gets healthy.

virginiatom: Only a franchise as bad as the Rams would take their #1 overall draft choice in 2 of the last 3 years and then move them out of their natural positions for which they had performed so great, to a new position (Carriker and Smith). Do you know of any other team that has in the last several years drafted a number one pick and then moved them to entirely new positions? It makes no sense to me.

Jeff Gordon: Right tackle is not an entirely new position than left tackle. If he still played tight end in college, then got drafted as a tackle, then you would have a beef.

virginiatom: Is Flajole's defense similar to that which Spagnuolo ran? What do you envision the Ram's defense looking like in terms of style?

Jeff Gordon: This will be Spags' defense. What you saw in Philly and New York is what he wants you to see here. If Little stays healthy and Long progresses, the Rams ought to generate more pressure with front four -- which is critical.

You will recall that Haslett had to run lots of gimmicks to get pressure. Over time, that catches up to a D.

WILLIAM: With the recent roster moves and cuts, is it any more likely now that we will go after some of the more established receivers still out before the season starts or does it seem like the front office is content with what we currently have? If such a move is made, don't you think that we would catapault into the discussion of turnaround team of the year?

Jeff Gordon: This is a run-first team. You'll see lots of two TE sets. You'll see lots of two-back sets. You won't see a lot of four wides. So, no, WR isn't a transformational position on this team

The Rams expect Avery and Burton to develop. Devaney believes in Robinson.

Crazy_Legs: What's your take on why Pisa wasn't traded instead of cut? Doesn't make any sense. Thanks...

Jeff Gordon: Who wanted him? If the Rams couldn't trade Holt and Pace, two potential Hall of Fame players, then it makes sense that Pisa had no value, too. Teams didn't want to acquire the rest of his contract, as in the case of Pace and Holt.

Adam Edwards: Thanks Gordo for these comprehensive updates. I check the site weekly to read these Q and A sessions and read every article you guys post. I check DAILY!

My question is this: Who will be our Day 1 starter at strong-side linebacker?

I mean, honestly I'm content with Chris Draft playing that spot because he's honestly the most well-rounded LB on our roster, but I always felt more secure with him in the rotation situationally, providing depth and coming in to allow a starter a breather. He is not very big by any standard, although reportedly larger than Pisa Tinoisamoa, but I still think he can be man-handled by blocking TEs or FBs. Do you foresee us picking up a solid veteran either for depth or to take over the strong-side spot to leave Draft for depth, and if so, what names might you have heard or what players still available might make some sense to you if you were Billy Devaney?

Thanks Gordo!

Jeff Gordon: The Rams like Draft in that spot, for now. I share your reservations, but I doubt the team could acquire anybody else to add more than depth, at this point.

Philip W.: I understand Pisa may not have fit Spag's desires for large linebackers, but what does this do for our depth at a critical position? I like our starters now but if one goes down early in the season we are up a creek without a paddle.

Do you think the plan is to shore this up with a free agent, or are they really that happy with the backups?

Jeff Gordon: With the money freed up, they will be able to add back-up help as needed.

Rich: Good morning Gordo,

The new regime at Rams Park hasn't been shy about sending veterans packing.

Who do you see as being next on the chopping block?

Jeff Gordon: There appears to be no role for Klopfenstein here, but the Rams may need him to get through camp.

Armen Dacity: I'm interested in your opinion as to the timing of Pisa Tinoisamoa's release. Do you think it was done now so that he would have time to catch on with another team? To clear cap space to sign the draft picks? To clear cap space to pursue a FA or a trade? Some of the above? All of the above? None of the above? What are your thoughts?

Jeff Gordon: The team had to wait until the draft to see if a MLB fell to the Rams in the second round. Once that happened, freeing Draft to move over, then it was decision time. His exit gives the franchise added flexibility to shop as other teams let players go.

John: In your opinion was the Pisa release a good move or bad move? Why?

Jeff Gordon: Good move. He wasn't going to start. A 5-27 team can't pay back-ups starter money -- there are too many other needs.

Pisa is a warrior, but his occasionally undisciplined play led to a lot of big plays for the other teams. And his injury history is an issue as well for a team starting over.

Armen Dacity: Jeff,

Do you think that, given where the Rams' HC, OC and DC came from, the team will be watching closely as to who the Giants, Eagles and Panthers release next month? If so, any names you think could be on the team's radar?

Jeff Gordon: Sure, there is familiarity there. But, again, this team is mostly looking for depth guys -- be it at DT, LB or S on the defensive side. I don't expect anything sexy.

Fresno Ram Fan: Who's next on the cut list, Klop, Hill?

Jeff Gordon: Hill will get every chance. Butler is his guy -- and Spags loves Butler. Corners are hard to find. If all goes well, Wade will have the toughest road ahead.

Armen Dacity: Keenan Burton seemed like an intriguing prospect last year, but clearly was slowed by his nagging knee injury. Any early word on how his knee is doing?

Jeff Gordon: I'd his ability or inability to stay on the field remains the concern with him. The skill and "want to" are there. Except for Stanley, everybody looked OK now. He will be interesting to watch in camp, when the grind resumes.

Steve B.: Gordo

Do you happen to know if anyone picked up Willie Tuitama (QB from AZ)? Did the Rams consider him as a FA?

Steve

Jeff Gordon: I can't see any evidence that he signed as a FA, but I could be wrong. I'm guessing his DUI case tanked his pro chances. That was bad timing.

Tackleberry: Do you think that the Rams are done making moves of "significance" this off-season? Devaney & Spagnoulo have quickly established themselves with this fanbase, by addressing lingering personnel concerns, but there still seems to be some glaring holes (RB depth, LB depth, an established WR) that can't be written off in the category of "we need to see what we have there." For the most part, everyone in Saint Louis already knows. If Draft was the answer, or Pittman was the answer, we'd know it already.

Jeff Gordon: There are still a lot of iffy spots, which you would expect after a 5-27 run over two years. But these guys are picking them off one at a time. This is literally a year-round process. The current roster will be evaluated almost daily as other players come free.

GoodguyInCO: Hey Gordo, thanks for taking my question.

I'm sure that you have already gotten a lot of questions already about this, but honestly, I was shocked to hear of the release of Pisa. I understand he wasn't an ideal fit to the system, but he did led the team in tackles last year. He was a good guy, who played with heart and tenacity. Best of all, he wasn't all that expensive. Did we just throw the baby out with the bath water? More importantly, is this organization now more concerned with "sending a message" than with keeping talented players?

Jeff Gordon: The team went 5-27 the last two years. Leading a 5-27 team in tackles isn't all that great of a deal. Pisa missed a lot of assignments and he got hurt a lot. Witherspoon took his starting assignment. Once the Rams drafted their MLB, Pisa was done here. Life goes on.

joe roach: Do you think Tye Hill has a future with the Rams? He doesn't seem to be Spags type of corner. Wade may also be a hugh question mark.

Jeff Gordon: Agreed on Wade. And Spags likes big corners. Hill is facing his make-or-break NFL season.

signed s. j.: Gordo--When do we get an interview with Ken Flojoe about his new defense. What do you,or he see as the strength & weakness of that side of the ball. When do the shells go on ?? Lets get ready for football.

Jeff Gordon: This is Spags' defense, so pay attention when he talks about it. It's his scheme and his team.

Weakness? Can the front four generate pass pressure? Can the cornerbacks get up and play some press coverage? Will the middle of the defensive line prove stout enough to stop the run with consistently? Can Draft really hold up as a starting LB? What if a safety gets hurt?

5matador: Pisa Tinoisamoa was not the right sized linebacker for Spagnoulos system. However, he did lead the team in tackles and did so 4 of his six years on the league. Is there a deeper explanation for a 2-14 team to release it's best defender from 2008. Also, do you believe that Spagnolo will have the opportunity to bring in "his guys" before the fan base become restless again?

Jeff Gordon: Pisa was the best defender? Really? Don't think the coaches saw it that way. He was destined to be a back-up. The Rams aren't paying back-ups starter money, given all the other needs.

Saul B: Why dump hardworking players with heart such as Holt & Pisa, yet keep an ineffective Bulger in the fold?

Jeff Gordon: Bulger's contract is the big issue. If there was no massive cap hit to let him go, then he would have been judged differently.

BrandonRAMS: Hello Gordo,

Why didn't the Rams organization try and trade Pisa T. instead of just flat out relesing him? Were there no takers for him? Just seems that you could a least get a low number draft pick(5th,6th or 7th round could have been possible)for a guy that has lead his team in takles almost every year. Wouldn't you think?

Jeff Gordon: If anybody was willing to trade for him, the Rams would have done that.

I know we got rid of B.Leonard, but do you know if any names might be getting tossed around at RAMS Park for the back-up RB spot? Or are we going to go in to camp with what we got for now? Two sorta big backs out there are Jesse Chatman(5'8 225lbs) and Chris Perry(6'0 224lbs) know of any interest?

Jeff Gordon: The Rams drafted a guy to fill the back-up role and his pass-catching skills give him a chance. There are plenty of bodies at RB, should one of the back-ups got hurt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any cornerbacks the RAMS are looking in to?

Jeff Gordon: If somebody lets a bigger CB go, the Rams might take a look. So far the staff is unmoved by what is currently available. If there was somebody they liked, he would be here.

MarkMyWords: Hi,

Do you know if they tried to rework Pisa's contract? Seems he would, at the very least, be the perfect backup to WW..... (Doubt he would agree to it though.)

Jeff Gordon: Unless he wanted to play for the minimum all of a sudden, there was nothing to talk about.

lstein: Thanks for taking my question. My understanding from scouts.com etc is that the knock on Null was that he did not have a stong arm and as a result could not go deep. The Rams camp reports have talked about his stong arm. What is the truth?

Jeff Gordon: His arm is strong enough for the West Coast offense, which is a lot different from the Air Martz offense.

kikosanchez: Why drop Pisa? Having him on the team doesn't hurt us, he knows how to tackle, Spags should have waited until he has the kind of lineman he wanted before he dropped him, I think that was the first dumb move by Spags, hope I'm wrong.

Jeff Gordon: Again, Pisa was No 2 on the depth chart. The Rams aren't going to pay starter money for that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

newyorkram!: Hi Gordo,

I love your chats, they make me feel happy inside.

If part of the reason for Pisa's release was in fact due to his lack of size, it doesn't seem as though the Rams have a lot of options lined up behind him. According to my old eyes, Culberson is clearly bigger than Pisa. Draft is bigger, but not a big difference in my eyes. Vobora put on weight coming out of Idaho, but he's not much bigger, and I don't think that Chamberlain is any bigger at all. So, with that in mind do you think the starting SAM LB come September is currently on the Rams roster? Who do you see as being the best fit for what Spagnuolo is trying to accomplish on defense?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff Gordon: Who cares who is lined up behind the No. 2 linebacker? Will, Draft and The Wrestler's kid will start at LB.

Ed Johnson: Dear Gordo - What do we do now that the Rams have released Pisa? What are the chances of signing Antwan Peek or Napoleon Harris? Both are big, physical linebackers that fit Spags mold!

Jeff Gordon: Would they want to back up one of the starters?

Ram Fan in Alabama: As always, thanks for the chat...

Do you know if any thought was given to putting Pisa over at Weakside LB and Witherspoon over at Strongside? I just don't understand releasing Pisa for nothing and I'm not sold on Chris Draft either. Getting a new MLB was great and a step forward but loosing Pisa puts us back a step (so we are almost back to where we started.)

Also, do you really think the Rams have the run stuffing DT they need to REALLY improve that Defense? And how is our new safety in run support?

Jeff Gordon: Butler is good in run support. The Wrestler's Kid is a strong tackler. I like Ryan at DT. Again, Pisa was slated for back-up duty. If the team thought he could switch, that move would have been made.

Rambunctious: A poster made the statement that Samkon Gado looked really good in minicamp recently, and that Samkon's performance to a degree inspired the trade involving Brian Leonard .. Do you have any knowledge of this? Thanks in advance!

Jeff Gordon: The real problem with Leonard was not fitting the offense. Too small for FB, not big enough for RB. It didn't matter which RB was brought in; Brian just didn't fit well here.

Ramsfan: The best thing about listening to Rams radio was the insighful comments of Jim Hanifan. Why couldn't they have a three man booth with Hanifan, Savard and Farr. That would have been great. Would you please start a campaign with your media brethren to reinstate Mr. Hanifan to the booth with Savard and Farr?

Rams fans should definitely support a write in or call in campang to 101.1 to get Hanifan back in the booth. Its sad that they relegated him to pre and post game comments and then they tried to spin it that it would allow him more time for comments. The time for comments is during the game as the action is happening.

Remember that we all will be getting older and some management type will make a less than savory decision. So, lets not stand for this and you Mr Gordon could start the charge. Won't you help?

Jeff Gordon: I loved Hanifan in that role, but, trust me, the Rams Radio Network does not seek my advice.

Eric: Any chance Rams resign Pisa under more cap friendly contract to be backup/special teams?

Jeff Gordon: I bet somebody else brings him in. Surely somebody else could fit him into their system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ramholio: Jeff, what did the Rams see in this Harris kid from Cincy? I have heard he is a good athlete at 300lbs but this league is filled with guys that are good athletes. If they were not good they would not be here. Out of all the dlineman that were deemed tradeable by their teams why this guy? Were the Bengals the only player for Leonard??

Jeff Gordon: The Rams added a depth guy at a need position and moved out an unwanted player. Win win. It's not like teams were dying to pry Leonard from this team.

Rambunctious: Do you believe Spags will keep Ritchie Incognito on a short leash this year? It isn't easy to forget Cog's candybar episode when Haslett was HC. Ritchie is only signed for 1 year, and with several young guards breathing down his neck, would you agree that this is a make or break year for him? It would appear Ritchie isn't exactly a snug fit within the four pillars philosophy.

Jeff Gordon: Hey, they'll all be a on short leash. But you're right.

RealityCheck: Gordo, I was reading your answers so far and you say who cares who the backup LB's are. Um well you should care, when is the last time any LB of 3 played every down of every game?

Jeff Gordon: But . . . the Rams aren't paying millions for a back-up LB. Not happening. I'm not crazy about Culberson, based on what he did last year. I know the Rams do like Grant a bit. Last year's rookies were OK in limited duty.

real ram fan from cali: 1 question how do you deal woth these Rams fans from stlouis: Earliers in the year all I read was get Pisa out of here now all of a sudden there crying cause hes gone .....His hard work and sweat led to us being almost last in every def stat....Lets let the new guys figure things out All STL fans should just stick to baseball......by the way Jeff you do a great job.

Jeff Gordon: Pisa is a hard worker. This guy played hurt all the time. He is a tough guy -- but the team paid him a premium wage and he didn't play to that level. Now he doesn't fit what the new coach wants to do.

G Turner: What are the chances that the Missouri football team will have a vastly improved defense?

Jeff Gordon: Vastly improved? Dunno. Improved, sure, if they can clean up their pass coverage, that will happen.

magiardino: Hi Gordo. Re the draft... why pay ridiculous money for a #1 or #2 pick when you really don't need that pick until later on. For example, the Rams could have picked Monroe instead of Smith and saved about $20 million. If I were Detroit, I would have called the top 5 or 7 guys and said "OK, who wants to make $20 million, because that's all we are going to offer our pick?". Kind of like a reverse auction. The Rams could have done the same with their needs (Smith, Curry, Monroe, Crabtree, Sanchez, etc.) and saved a fortune.

Jeff Gordon: This issue has come to a head. I see the NFL negotiating a new deal with a rookie pay scale to fix this. You are right, it is absurd.

That's it for this week. That's for all the questions and comments.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Gordo Live

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Jeff Gordon: Carter is a depth guy, no more. The Cards believe they already have traded for (Robinson) and drafted (Foster) their back-up WRs. And Derek Stanley has a real chance if he gets healthy.
    The "Cards" ...pardon Jeffrey?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Casn we get Pujols to play MLB?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Interesting take on the Pisa release. Clearly we cannot afford to pay starter money to a back-up. I also agree on his take of Leonard, not a fit for this team. Hopefully going forward we'll be drafting people whom we will be keeping as long-term players not iffy propositions at best. This year's camp will be very telling on the drafting ability of our new FO. My instincts tell me they will be vindicated, although D. Scott and B. Foster have me concerned.

I would have been interested to hear his take on Justin King and whether he fits into Spags defense.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Interesting take on the Pisa release. Clearly we cannot afford to pay starter money to a back-up.
    It's surprising how much ire remains over releasing Pisa, but it does seem pretty clear that there are better options than paying starter money for a back-up with an injury history. Time will tell, but like virtually every other move the new FO has made, this one looks like a prudent decision.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Pisa this, Pisa that, I'd like to get my hands on Gordo and him a Pisa my mind for calling our RAMS the Cards!
    Last edited by laram0; -05-12-2009 at 04:24 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Man.... that Armen Dacity guy asks the best questions.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Gordo Live

newyorkram!: Hi Gordo,

I love your chats, they make me feel happy inside.

If part of the reason for Pisa's release was in fact due to his lack of size, it doesn't seem as though the Rams have a lot of options lined up behind him. ...
    So, with that in mind do you think the starting SAM LB come September is currently on the Rams roster? Who do you see as being the best fit for what Spagnuolo is trying to accomplish on defense?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff Gordon: Who cares who is lined up behind the No. 2 linebacker? Will, Draft and The Wrestler's kid will start at LB.

RealityCheck: Gordo, I was reading your answers so far and you say who cares who the backup LB's are. Um well you should care, when is the last time any LB of 3 played every down of every game?

Jeff Gordon: But . . . the Rams aren't paying millions for a back-up LB. Not happening. I'm not crazy about Culberson, based on what he did last year. I know the Rams do like Grant a bit. Last year's rookies were OK in limited duty.
    i usually am cool with Gordon's take, but in this case? what a tard.

to answer his question. I care. I care who the 2nd string lb's on the Rams are/will be.

personally, i don't care how much a player makes, except as to how it affects the team's overall finances and ability to acquire or retain talent. simply put, if they're on the Rams and wear a uniform, i want to talk about them. If nobody cared who Trent Green's backup was in '99 because he didn't make millions... what kind of alternate history would have resulted?

The NFL is a game of passion and violence where players get hurt all the time. Depth is critical. Also, 2nd string players are often the spec'l team starters. To only want to talk about the starting 22 on O and D because they're the ones that make the most money fails my litmus test.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Man.... that Armen Dacity guy asks the best questions.
    I hear he's got a hot sister too. nice florida tan. from seminole county or somethin' or other

hey AV.... aren't you from Florida too?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    I hear he's got a hot sister too. nice florida tan. from seminole county or somethin' or other

hey AV.... aren't you from Florida too?
    Yeah. But my sister lives in Arkansas.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Pisa's exit frees up money to spend at LB and elsewhere. He was shaping up as Witherspoon's back-up, so the team turned the page. I agree that Culberson, Vobora, Chamberlain and Larry Grant don't provide compelling depth.
    i agree that Culberson, Vobora, and Chamberlin dont bring much depth. But i have a feeling Larry Grant could be good.

I wondered if Pisa Put on some weight before Mini camp that he couldve stayed. anyways i think he'll have better success elsewhere.

yeah, i'll miss ol' Hawaii 5-0. i've got a Rams jersey signed by two of my favorite Rams players (Bruce and Tinoisamoa). Sadly, neither is on the team anymore. g'luck fellas...

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    yeah, i'll miss ol' Hawaii 5-0. i've got a Rams jersey signed by two of my favorite Rams players (Bruce and Tinoisamoa). Sadly, neither is on the team anymore. g'luck fellas...
    The youth movement is certainly making it hard to stay up to date. I have 4 Rams jerseys, and the only one that represents a current Rams player is number 26. I may be on shakey ground in that regard.