RamWraith is offline Registered User

Gordo Live: Monday, Oct. 6

Gordo Live: Monday, October 6, 2008

Jerome: Hey G

How long will Burton and Hill be out?
    Also do you think that Chris Long will get Defense Rookie OF The Year

Jeff Gordon: There is hope for Burton after the bye week. Hill may need longer than that. As for Long, let's see if this team wins any games. If it does, he could factor in the race. He is making himself visible out there.
    ============
    ctramsfan: Jeff, I know it's a little early to be thinking about the offseason, but because of this team's current state, I can't help myself. First off, the guys who can't do the job on the field need to be shown the door. There are some players on this team who just simply aren't NFL caliber players right now or are over the hill, (Dante Hall, Corey Chavous, Quinton Culberson, Chris Draft, Nick Leckey, etc.).

These players need to be let go and replacements need to found at the end of the year whether it is through the draft or through free agency. Guys like Alex Barron, Richie Incognito, O.J. Atogwe, Tye Hill, and Drew Bennett need to prove that they are worthy of staying by the end of the year, and if they don't they need to be shown the door as well, regardless if they were a first round pick or an undrafted free agent, a high priced free agent, or a player who makes the league minimum.

The bottom line is if these guys don't produce they need to be gone. Out of curiosity I took a look at some of the free agents who will be available at the end of the year, and if these guys don't step up, there are plenty of guys that can fill the needs; Phillip Buchanan, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Gamble, Yeremiah Bell, Sean Jones, Jermaine Phillips, Mike Goff, Marc Columbo, Stacy Andrews, Mark Tauscher, Matt Birk, Eric Ghiaciuc, Channing Crowder, Bart Scott, Eric Barton, Chris Canty, Julius Peppers, Terrell Suggs etc. What are your thoughts?

Jeff Gordon: I can see Leckey staying, since he has held up surprising well at center as a fill-in. Otherwise, yes, the Rams will have many holes to fill. This is why Chip must decide what he is doing with the team. If the ownership is up in the air, the Rams won't have strong leadership at the top. And without leadership, the Rams won't attract the better free agents.

The draft is the draft -- players have no choice but to come. Free agency turns into a popularity contest.
    ===============
    Mark in NY: Gordo, I've been pretty tough on the family in these chats, and I would just like to take a moment and acknowledge the excellent decisions Chip made last week, and also his handling of the entire process. The timing was right to fire Linehan, hiring Haslett was the right decision at this time, and everything was handled very professionally! Chip, thank you, you've given us hope! I think Haslet is the right guy for right now, and I hope he turns things around. (PS-we still want you to sack Shaw and Zygmunt at the end of the year!).

After reading the article on Haslett, I am more convinced than ever that Linehan was out of his league. A head coach that doesn't even speak with his defensive coordinator until game day? Whatever. I still can't believe we let him cut Isaac Bruce. And the decision to cut Fakir Brown made no sense whatsoever since his contract was guaranteed. Mistake after mistake. Haslett already sounds like a better coach than Linehan. Much more emphasis on field position and playmakers.. basic football stuff. And you can't help but admire the way he dealt with hurricane Katrina.

What's your take on Jim's article?

Jeff Gordon: We were privy to a lot of that info, which is why we were all calling for Scott's head. Nice guy, but in over his head. Releasing Brown was apparently a spiteful move - and the end result was disaster. Some things that happened late in Linehan's regime made you wonder if he will ever get a shot at this sort of job again.
    ================
    Josh Gordon: What position or players do the Rams take in next years draft? And do you think their priority would be for replacing veterans (eg LT Pace) or improving weaker positions (D-Backs)?

Jeff Gordon: I'd start with OT and go from there. LBs, DBs, QB -- this team needs it all.
    ==================
    bob_n_weave: Im betting the Rams game plan is to air it out on Sunday and Bulger racks up 3 pick's. Any taker's ? Redskins 28 Rams 16.

Jeff Gordon: Washington is VERY good. Haslett will try to emphasize Jackson, but that is a strong team. Your bet looks good.
    =============
    eli: when will Burton be back?

can berlin start one day? Can spark the offence?

would the rams consider Roy williams? the lions are shopping for him.

When is marc Bulger ever going to throw a long pass to Avery? We did draft him because of his speed

Is DT Ryan the starter now?

Jeff Gordon: Ryan will get the lion's share of work, yes. Glover will be a change-of-pace guy. Burton could be back this week. Berlin had a nice preseason, but he only plays of the others go down. He is not a top prospect. Why consider Roy Williams? This team has enough problems. Why add one from another team.

The Rams will go deep to Avery.
    =================
    Jay Richards: Hi, Jeff:

Is it realistic to expect significant change from the Rams coming out of the bye week and for the rest of the season? Yes, they'll have a new head coach and a new defensive coordinator, and Bulger will be back at QB. But to quote a phrase frequently heard in political circles recently, isn't this more like putting lipstick on a pig?

Jeff Gordon: True, especially when you look at which teams loom next on the schedule.
    =====================
    Rick: Would Haslett consider replacing Chavous with Johnson at SS ? There are a lot of weak links in the secondary, but Chavous stands out in all the wrong ways.

Jeff Gordon: Venturi may look at this. A lot of folks at Rams Park agree with you on this one.
    =================
    Rich: Hey Gordo,

Do you see Haslett and Al Saunders making any changes to jump start the offense?

Jeff Gordon: Derek Stanley got some work with the No. 1 offense, so it's possible that he could step into the mix and add even more speed.
    ================
    bfulton: It's been constantly reported, so I'm going to assume it's true that Haslett had differences with Linehan. Maybe those differences were just personal, but I'll also assume they're football differences. Based on what you've heard Haslett say directly, or even second hand, what changes, beyond end of practice wind sprints, should we expect to see in the Rams?

Jeff Gordon: The big problem with Scott was the overall lack of urgency and intensity. That is what must be fixed. The systems are in place for the year. You'll see some players exit here and there, but the working tone is what really has to change.
    =================
    CTRamsFan: Gordo,

You mentioned in a recent column that Linehan considered "jettisoning" Torry Holt in a final act of desperation before he was fired. Could you expound a little bit more about this statement? I think more than a few inquiring minds would like to know. What's your take on Haslett's ability to make the team respectable?

Jeff Gordon: Apparently Linehan talked about dealing away Holt, just as he released Brown. Needless to say, he lacked the authority to do that. Such thinking didn't help prolong his employment.
    ================
    Thomas: Hey Jeff;
    "With the 1st overall pick in the 2009 Draft, the St. Louis Rams select __________."
    Obviously we have major issues just about everywhere, but given what you've seen so far from college ball, can you throw in some names that would strongly be considered?

Jeff Gordon: The Rams need to draft the best available OT. Michael Oher would be the guy today.
    ================
    Tackleberry: As a Rams fan you get the feeling that Haslett is not just an '08 coaching band-aid for this team. Does his contract outline any criteria that guarantees him another season based on his results?

What are the chances, no matter who the coache is in '09, that the Rams bring in someone to be a true personnel director, oversee the draft, oversee free agency signings?

Jeff Gordon: Chip needs to install a strong football man to take care of all the big decision making. Haslett has a chance to return as coach if he gets results, but he would have to be considered a long shot right now. Tough schedule ahead -- winning five or six will take a miracle.
    ===================
    John: Gordo:

What is the latest on Fakhir Brown?......I can't believe nothing has been reported. When is Derek Stanley going to start returning kicks and Dante "run to the 20 and get tackled" Hall FINALLY going to be released?
    Linehan's stubborn loyalty to the "past their prime" vets led to his/Rams demise and Haz knows it.

Jeff Gordon: Hall would have to be in some peril, although Saunders still finds stuff for him in the offense. Brown has the Rams over a barrel. He is asking for more money to return. The team has to pay it. There is no choice.
    ===============
    Fletcher: Hey, Can you please explain to me why the hunt isn't on for Marty S. as headcoach for next season or the rest of this season. Let me explain my position and please tell me were I am wrong and if what I am asking is realistic. 1st point he is a really good coach, a proven winner, with tons of experience at bringing teams back from the pits of football shame. He is well respected by other coaches, fans, players, and the media.

High quality free agents will be able to seriously consider coming here because they know they will playing under a good coach with a good scheme. (Imagine all those unhappy good Chargers players who miss their Martyball). He also would attract quality asst. coaches. Provide instant credibility and show that the organization is forreal about turning this thing around. Why settle for Haslett, or even consider him for the future. There are at least 3 high quality coaches out there right now.

Don't get Billick though, he is not what we need either. I live in Baltimore and I love all the STL teams. (as hard as it is). I couldn't handle the thrashing these Raven fans would give me. Hunt Marty down, pay him what he wants, give him control of what he wants. I believe he is exactly what our players, team, organization, and fans need. People will buy tickets to see what Marty has done with the team. Give him a radio shpw a high quality free agent on defense(secondary) and draft a nice young QB and fanfare will be at its highest. Please respond in detail.

My next question. What is the likelyhood of Marshall F. becoming the GM? Is that spot really open? Meaning the new HC could also be GM or Devaney becoming the GM or (gulp!!) keeping Jay z or just a new face altogether? Which has the highest probability in your opinion?

Last question. I like Bulger, I feel like if he were on a different team he would be considered one the best QB's playing. I understand his problem is Battered QB Syndrome. Has he admiited it yet, is he in denial or better yet has he recognized his problems? Will he be able to recover in STL? It took Warner a new team and 2 or 3 years to get cured. What's the remedy for Bulger? In your Opinion.

My apologies for the long note, but it's hard getting info in B.More on the Rams especially with us doing soooo badly. THANKS

Jeff Gordon: Marty would be a viable option, since his playoff record isn't a concern here. As for Faulk as GM, he needs to be a No. 2 while he learned the ropes. Putting him in there without experience could be like hiring Millen out of the TV booth.
    ===================
    jon in kentucky: It looks like Craft will be starting over Manning at cornerback is that true, and is it the right call in your estimation?

Jeff Gordon: Manning apparently lacks the speed to play out on the island. So options are limited right now.
    =================
    jon in kentucky: I haven't heard how Glen Dorsey is doing this year, any sacks? # of tackles. I was just curios how that draft choice of Long is looking in the EARLY parts of the season and their careers. It has seemed to me that Long is improving each game, i like his intensity, but how about Dorsey?

Jeff Gordon: Dorsey has no sacks, according to NFL.com, and not much in the way of tackles.
    ===================
    sssmith6267: Do you see any changes coming to the Rams front office ? Firing the coach in my opinion was a small step but what truly needs to be done is to replace the inept people that are running this organization.

Jeff Gordon: There will be substantial change.
    ==============
    virginiatom: I feel like the Rams aren't going to be any kind of a team until the new owners take over. Chip isn't the guy, nor is Haslett. His Saints had one good year under him, and that was only 10-6 and bounced out in the playoffs. I know its a wait and see, but his record as a coach is average at best, and as a coordinator horrible. With Haslett the Rams will be that, average. What record do you think he has to come back with before Rosenbloom refuses to accept average for this franchise and brings someone in to produce a winner?

Jeff Gordon: He has already decided to hire a strong football guy -- if he keeps the team past this year.
    ==================
    Hen: Hi Gordo,

Thanks for taking my question. Are you as concerned as I with the way Haslett "excuses" his defense's poor performance during the 2nd half of the Bills game? His expectation level doesn't seem to promote a sense of urgency or the right attitude to improve that side of the ball. If you're a good leader, I would think that you would always expect just a little more than what you are getting from your team.

Do you think he just said that to boost the morale of the defense or do you really think he thinks they played well? I also recall him saying after past games if it weren't for a few long plays we played well. Doesn't make sense to me.

Jeff Gordon: Agreed totally.
    ===================
    den-the-coach: Jeff,

Just a quick inquiry as to Dante Hall being released and Stanley being promoted from the practice squad...Any confirmation on that?

Jeff Gordon: Don't know if that has happened, but we talked about that extensively last week on KFNS (noon to 2 p.m., The Sports Edge). Derek was working with the first offensive unit before the team broke.
    ====================
    virginiatom: Who in your opinion has the best shot to be the new owner of the Rams and when will that most likely occur?

Jeff Gordon: Why not Rush Limbaugh? He knows sports, has lots of rich friends, has plenty of jack himself, likes Missouri . . .
    ====================
    pdub: Gordo

What lineup/personnel changes do you see Haslett making as he takes over as HC?
    Also, do you think Adam Carriker is mis-cast in his current position?

Jeff Gordon: Good question about Carriker. Is he really a 3-4 guy? Or can he, Ryan, Long and Little mesh as a foursome? Adam is a worker, so I bet he can adapt to whatever the Rams need.
    ====================
    spriggster: Gordo,

Do you think Chip is paying attention to the re-birth in Miami. By bringing in real football people the Dolphins have begun to turn around their organization in one year. They are at least competitive and have a chance in a poor division. Will he show more guts in the hard decisions that need to be made or wimp-out like he did in his Linehan press conference? I don't think he has the stomach for this business.

Jeff Gordon: You may be right, which is why Chip may not be in the game for long.
    =====================
    rosenbloomla: Gordo, thanks for taking my question. Do you know if the Coaches have brought any free agents in for backup roles since the firing of Linehan?

Also, what has the general mood at Rams park been like since the firing? I know it was a short week but I am optimistic about Hasletts change maybe I'm stretching but I think we can still turn this around.

Jeff Gordon: I see player promotion being a bigger deal than outsiders coming in. Can Stanley help the return game? What will Burton add? Can Ryan make the most of extra playing time? Can Johnson help at safety?
    =================
    Superjim: Hi Gordo,

Let me ask you, is the mood in St. Louis more optimistic now that Linehan is gone and Haslett's in charge? I get the distinct impression that Haslett intends to lead this team and prepare them for the battles that lie ahead. This is the type of thing he's brilliant at, flying in the face of everyone, and trying to produce an honest, hardworking team. For the first time in 12 months I'm excited about the season, and while I don't think we'll win the division (there's optimistic and there's optimistic), I do think we should put the ***** in their place (4th), and have Jim Mora sweating before he takes over. We have nothing to lose, and if we play even .500 football we can silence a lot of critics. Is the attitude in the city as positive as mine, and even more importantly in Rams park?

Jeff Gordon: Haslett brings some fresh air, as Joe Vitt did when he stepped in for Mad Mike. But the reality is bleak with the near-term schedule.
    ==================
    Darrell Ippensen: Has Joe Klopenstein's blocking abilities improved any or will the Redskins blitz everytime he lines up at TE ?

Jeff Gordon: I'm skeptical. We'll see.
    =================
    Todd from Michigan: Jeff thank you for time. I was wondering if the Rams will be dumping some salary at the deadline. Do you think its possible that Marc Bulger, Chavous or Leonard Little will be moved for some younger plaers or draft picks. Thank you and great job as always.

Jeff Gordon: Why would the Rams dump salary? The payback, in terms of picks, is usually minimal. This team needs to play football again and go from there.
    ==================
    Curt: Gordo,

Now that Linehan is gone, does FOSL Corey Chavous get scrutinized?

Will Haslett stay with the young guys on the D-line?

Your thoughts on moving Witherspoon to WLB, Culberson to MLB and Tinoisamoa to SLB?

Jeff Gordon: Haven't seen Culberson do enough to merit that promotion. I'd like to see Johnson over Chavous. And Haslett will stay with the kids on the line, yes.
    ====================
    CTRamsFan: Gordo,

What changes to the offense, if any, do you see Haslett or Saunders making?
    Any changes to the defense including personel coming?

Jeff Gordon: Look for an offensive emphasis on Jackson, Jackson and more Jackson. Otherwise, look for kids to get every chance to progress.
    ==================
    Rambunctious: Hi Jeff,
    Now that Haz is head coach, I can't help but wonder about his relationship with Al Saunders. Not only on a personal level, but also conceptually. I don't pretend to know much about Jim's offensive predilections, however he did not hire Al as his OC. Do they have a healthy relationship predicated on mutual respect? Or do you believe Haslett has other inclinations as far as the offense is concerned. Thanks in advance!!

Jeff Gordon: We'll see . . . I know Haslett wants to play more smashmouth, but Al has done that in his day, too.
    =================
    Tshow: The current Rams organization is the laughing stock of the NFL after the way they fired Linehan and the teams anemic play. Chip must sell this team, what is the latest? There has to be some rumors floating around. Thanks.

Jeff Gordon: Actually, the Lions and Raiders are probably worst laughingstocks. Chip has to sell or retool his management team. We'll just have to see which way he goes.
    ====================
    FredDryerFan: Hey Gordo as always thanks for your bits-o-wisdom!

Letís talk blocking and blitz pick-ups. Mainly SJís inability to do either. I consider it a travesty that a Top 5 back isnít sharp enough to identify then pursue an attacker in his own backfield. Early in his career we recognized he was a liability but had Marshal and other guys protecting Bulger, so we left SJ on the sideline during passing situations (like when weíre behind). Martz knew this and caught heat for it, but now it seems that because the coaching staff is afraid to hurt SJís ego that he has to be in on EVERYPLAY. Is anything new being done to improve his blocking? Maybe throw him into 1 on 1 drills with the DL or Linebackers? Does his ability to scan and identify blitz or stunts begin and end on a chalk board, when it should be emphasized on the field?

Jeff Gordon: I agree -- if it takes 10 hours a week of extra practice, he must learn how to pass block.
    ==================
    Todd W.: Hi Gordo,
    Please tell me that Avery is starting the rest of the year?
    No more Dante Hall, when can he be released?

Next 3 weeks are gonna be very hard on the Rams.

Jeff Gordon: Avery will start the rest of the year, unless Burton beats him out. Look for Stanley to get a bigger role too.
    =================
    MonkeyLooker: How about Tory Holt for KC's Tony Gonzalez straight up - we have 2 good young rookie wide receivers in Avery & Burton so lets get a great TE. Do you think Bulger will last the season as our starter? I cringe every time I watch London Fletcher making tackles for other teams - incredibly bad mistake not resigning the best MLB we have ever had. Go Rams!

Jeff Gordon: I would assume KC wants Gonzalez to finish his career there, if he is up to it. The Rams do need a TE now, but they need a lead WR more.
    ==================
    Rambunctious: Jeff, do you know why Fakir Brown was released? If I am not mistaken, Fakir was one of Haslett's "guys." Linehan apparently was the one who cut him. Why? I believed Fakir to be our best corner(I am sure there are many who don't agree with that). Brown seemed to play opposing receivers tight, too tight in more than a few cases, and was flagged for it. I personally liked the fact that he was a physical corner. At least he usually made opposing receivers fight for the reception. There has been talk of bringing him back, any news on whether he is willing to return, or does he want to break the bank?

Jeff Gordon: Linehan whacked him to prove he is in charge. It did not work out so well for him.
    ================
    pattonj68: Gordo,

Do you think Linehan will resurface next year with a coordinator position? If so, how could it be justified with the poor offensive the Rams had under him?

Jeff Gordon: Position coach, maybe. Or a college coordinator.
    ===============
    Scott T.: Regarding the Rams: At least we're not the Oakland Raiders. If Jay Zygmunt owned the Rams THEN we'd be the Raiders. Gordo, can the NFL legally remove sue-happy "Weird" Al Davis from running that team? And what coach in their right mind will take that job? Maybe Art Shell??

Jeff Gordon: Can Oakland condemn the franchise and seize control? That might be the way to go.
    ==============
    Chris: Gordo,
    I'm wondering that if the Rams turn it around would it show they tanked on Linehan or that Hasslet is that good since (so far) the roster is pretty much the same? Either way I guessing next years roster will be very different. And lastly, do you see Brown coming back and if so would he play corner or maybe move to one of the safety positions?

Jeff Gordon: The Rams have tried to bring back Brown, but he is in position to command good money from teams looking for a fill-in CB. He would start here.
    ================
    Dave: I am concerned about whather the Rams will stay in St. Louis. I have went to games and followed them for 12 years. Obviously, I have an emotional investment. What do you know about the Rams chances of staying in StL and what will it take for them to show that there is a commitment to stay? Will they stay?

Jeff Gordon: The next owner of the Rams will make that decision. The sale of the team is something Rams fans need to sweat.
    =================
    Petey123: What did the Rams see in Linehan to hire him as head coach? He'll never get another head coaching position in the NFL. The guy has absolutely no leadership skills.

Jeff Gordon: That became apparent.
    =================

An unconventional thought...how about Jonathan Wade to return kicks? he's done zip for the d, so why not use his speed on returns?
    I learnt the rules of the NFL via computer games because it's not well publicised in the UK (or at least 5 years ago it wasn't). So there are some rules I don't understand, was wondering if you can help me. Why when the QB spikes the ball is it not 'intentional grounding'? Why does he not need to be touched by a defender when he takes a knee?

Jeff Gordon: The latter two rules are a convenience to the offense, one to stop the clock efficiently and the other to run out the clock. As fpr Wade. first he has to show more enthusiasm about kick coverage. Not exactly Spartacus.
    ==================

Let me ask, why do teams trade players for 7th round picks? We got Donnie Jones from Miami for a 7th rounder, he's produced a lot for us and I'm sure the Dolphins spent that pick on a player who's no longer on their roster. Where's the logic? The same applies for the 5th rounder we spent on Dante Hall. Other than Cliff Ryan we haven't drafted a success in the 5th round for years, so we get a proven player in exchange for a probable flop (in our hands at keast).

Make any sense Gordo???

Jeff Gordon: I agree totally. Why bother making those deal.
    ===================
    David: What are you hearing regards a timetable as to when a decision will be made on if the Rams are sold or kept in St. Louie.?

Jeff Gordon: No timetable, really. Depends on the offers.
    ==================
    pattonj68: Gordo, with the organization in shambles, do you think the Rams fans would be that upset if they move? Or is bad football better than no football?

Jeff Gordon: Bad football is better than no football, yes.
    ==================
    John: Hi Jeff,

What can you tell us about the games that the NFL scheduled for the Rams this season? I thought weaker teams were to receive a somewhat easier schedule, but so far the Rams have faced almost all first-tier teams. Do you know the strength of schedule for the Patriots, for example, as compared to the Rams?

Jeff Gordon: The NFL switch to more divisions changed that. The schedule rotation stuck the Rams with games against two rugged divisions.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Gordo Live: Monday, Oct. 6

Let me ask, why do teams trade players for 7th round picks? We got Donnie Jones from Miami for a 7th rounder, he's produced a lot for us and I'm sure the Dolphins spent that pick on a player who's no longer on their roster. Where's the logic? The same applies for the 5th rounder we spent on Dante Hall. Other than Cliff Ryan we haven't drafted a success in the 5th round for years, so we get a proven player in exchange for a probable flop (in our hands at keast).

Make any sense Gordo???

Jeff Gordon: I agree totally. Why bother making those deal.
    Good grief, Gordo......you kind of let that one go pretty easy, didn't you?

Here's the answer.........Would you trade Dante Hall for a 5th? 6th? 7th?
    Of course you would.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Pretty good column today.

What I really enjoyed was the talks of Chris Long getting rookie of the year. If anyone on this team deserves recognition, it's Long. He plays with more heart than anyone on either side of the ball. He never gives up. If it were up to me, he'd be a captain in a few short seasons.

Another thing I liked...DUMP CHAVOUS! He hasn't done anything except for get burnt. Have Johnson play back there for now. We've really got nothing to lose.

Yes, trade Hall away for a 5th. He's not doing anything for us anyways.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Yes, trade Hall away for a 5th. He's not doing anything for us anyways.
    If he's not doing anything for us, why would a team give up a fifth? We'd be lucky to get a 7th for him ..

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I dunno Moose, I doubt anyone's as foolish as we are to trade a 5th for Hall. That'd be like trading in a used car for more than you paid for it in the first place.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gordon
    Jeff Gordon: As for Faulk as GM, he needs to be a No. 2 while he learned the ropes. Putting him in there without experience could be like hiring Millen out of the TV booth.
    I hope all the Faulk for GM or head coach people read this and realize it wouldn't be a good move.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE