Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mh-i
  • 1 Post By GROUND DOG 39

Thread: Gordon: Long overdue cleanup under way at Rams Park ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Gordon: Long overdue cleanup under way at Rams Park ..

BY JEFF GORDON
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:38 am

Coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead are working overtime to clear the stench of failure from Rams Park.

They are taking a bulldozer to the roster, clearing massive amounts of salary cap space. Garbage trucks are carrying the debris out of the Earth City practice facility.

The collapse of this once-proud operation left quite a mess. Say, are those FEMA trailers out back of the offices?

The long-awaited overhaul has begun in full force. The Rams have decided to give several prominent players an opportunity to start anew:

Ron Bartell? The poor guy couldn’t stay healthy. He was often the team’s best cornerback, but he couldn’t stay on the field. He became the poster boy for a team cursed by injury misfortune.

Brandon Lloyd? He arrived for a fifth-round pick and became the team’s No. 1 receiver by default. He was a superstar compared to his new colleagues. He seems fixated on rejoining failed offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels in New England and the New Regime seems willing to let that happen. Jerry Rice he is not.

Jason Brown? The once-competent center got manhandled last year. He played his way to the bench. He complained about being benched. Injuries gave him a chance to play guard. Opponents manhandled him there, too. He earned a lot of money to not block people last season.

Fred Robbins? The first year of his reunion with coach Steve Spagnuolo went well. He gave this team some sturdy defensive tackle play, shoring up the Rams at the point of attack. But when things went wrong for the Rams last season, he disappeared from view.

Justin Bannan? He was a big piece of Billy Devaney’s failed offseason plan for 2011, when he tried to spread his available dollars over several solid players. Bannan was generally OK against the run last season, but this team needs difference-makers.

Donnie Jones? The Rams are letting him explore free agency. He still has a big leg, but the whole directional punting thing seem to elude him at critical points last season. The team wouldn’t mind keeping him, but it doesn’t sound like a huge priority for Fisher.

James Hall? He was an excellent soldier here, stacking up some sacks and providing leadership for young Robert Quinn. But Hall has reached the twilight of his career — and 2-14 teams shouldn’t invest in twilight-year defensive ends.

A.J. Feeley? He was a nice guy, but a terrible back-up quarterback. Once he had to play extensively for Sam Bradford, opponents ate him up. How did he last this long in the NFL? By seldom actually playing in real games.

James Butler? This veteran safety had a job here as long as Spagnuolo was coach. But when Spags departed, Butler was right behind him. Well, not RIGHT behind him because Butler has lost a step or three at safety.

Cadillac Williams? He flashed some of his old ability, but injuries diminished his value last season. He was just a stopgap running back. The Rams must do better there. This has been the only NFL franchise incapable of locating young running backs with some upside. Perhaps that will finally change.

Jerious Norwood? Injuries have rendered him a shell of his former self. He proved equally useless to special teams, too. Next!

With most (if not all) of these guys gone for good, the Rams will have upwards of $30 million to spend in free agency and the NFL Draft. The COO, Kevin Demoff, has ample room to work as he engages agents of top-end free agents.

The vault opens today. This team has emergency needs everywhere but quarterback, running back, middle linebacker and defensive end — and it needs to improve its depth at those four positions of strength.

Embrace the change, Rams fans. You’ve waited too long to have real hope for your football

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Gordon: Long overdue cleanup under way at Rams Park ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    BY JEFF GORDON
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:38 am

The vault opens today. This team has emergency needs everywhere but quarterback, running back, middle linebacker and defensive end — and it needs to improve its depth at those four positions of strength.

Lots of holes thanks to the previous regimes. Lots of wasted picks and signings. It's time to turn that around.
    Last edited by mh-i; -03-13-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

A Fish(er) is helping gut this team. And rightfully so. As Mh-i pointed out we have the previous regimes tot hank for this mess.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Lots of holes thanks to the previous regimes. Lots of wasted picks and signings. It's time to turn that around.
    At least their is now light at the end of the tunnel mh-i. An to think if Indianapolis didn't beat the Jags in week 16, none of this would have been possiible. If the Rams mess this one up, Ill be surprised. The FO team seem to have a confidence about them, not seen in the previous Rams brass.
    Obviously I do not expect miracles from the Rams in the first year, but I honestly can see the Rams being fairly competitive this year. Which is much different to what I first thought when the Rams sacked Spags.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-13-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Bradford, Jackson, Long, & JLau.

Anyone but those four could get cut or traded, and I wouldn't care less. Bring on the new look Rams.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

He 4got to mention the stench of DeSpags!

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Bradford, Jackson, Long, & JLau.

Anyone but those four could get cut or traded, and I wouldn't care less. Bring on the new look Rams.
    so Robert Quinn is already a bust?

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

That's not what I said at all. Kinda forgot about him tbh

RealRam is offline Registered User

My goodness, it's a wonder we were even able to run plays on the practice field!