r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Gordon: Ryan, Rams Can't Look Back Now

Gordon: Ryan, Rams can't look back now

BY JEFF GORDON | Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rams defensive tackle Clifton Ryan should have returned to work a hero.

Ryan should have been all smiles Wednesday, basking in the glory of his unlikely touchdown fumble return. That scoop-and-rumble play should have finished off the Cardinals on Sunday.

It should have propelled the long-suffering Rams to a house-rocking victory at the Edward Jones Dome. It should have been a turning point for the Steve Spagnuolo Era.

But Gridbirds receiver Steve Breaston just had to spoil everything. After Rams defensive end C.J. Ah You jarred the ball from Arizona quarterback Derek Anderson and sent Ryan on his way, Breaston didn’t give up on the play.

He ran down Ryan inside the Arizona 5 and chopped the ball out of Clifton's hands. The Cardinals recovered the ball in their end zone, turning a Rams TD into a harmless touchback.

Arizona went on to win the game 17-13 . . . and Ryan and his teammates were left grappling with still another setback.

“Steve made a great play,” Ryan said during his regular Tuesday visit on KFNS. “He is one of the most underrated players in the league in my opinion. He made the same play previously in the game on Bradley Fletcher on his fumble return. We have to give Steve credit.

“I was a couple of yards away from the touchdown. He came out of nowhere. He is a 4.3 guy. He made up a lot of ground. He popped the ball out and they were able to recover it. That’s the reason why they are NFC champions, defending champions back-to-back years. They find ways to win games.”

Now Ryan and his teammates are regrouping one more time. Once again their mettle is being tested.

They have no choice but to turn the page on another defeat and fight through the exasperation.

“To take the next step and become a contender in our division, we have to make the plays,” Ryan said. "I have to score that touchdown. Guys have to make the picks when they get their hands on them and things of that nature.

“Overall we did a pretty good job. That is something to build on going to Oakland, but we’re still a ways off.”

Fans crushed Ryan here at STLtoday.com in the various interactive forums for not protecting the ball. Looking back on the mishap, Clifton didn’t second-guess his actions.

“You’re taught to scoop the ball and get to the TD,” Ryan said. “That’s what all football players are taught when the ball is on the ground.

“When I scooped the ball, I looked at the Jumbotron and saw nobody behind me. Steve runs a 4.3 40-yard dash. He is a kick returner and a punt returner. He was able to make up the ground. I had the ball high and tight like you are taught.

“He made a great play. If you watch the play, he made a great play. He put all his speed and all his might into getting the ball out and he was able to do it.”

Ryan can’t undo that turn of events. What’s done is done. All he and his teammates can do now is plow ahead.

Such is the life on a last-place team. Good breaks are tough to come by. Players must clear their heads and battle on, a challenge that becomes greater with each mounting loss.

Ryan and Co. must set aside the mishaps and dwell on positive steps taken Sunday.

“We got after them a little bit,” Ryan said. “We got two sacks. We were physical. We played hard. We created a lot of turnovers. It's something to build on, but we have to make the plays to win the games.”

If they stay focused and upbeat, the Rams could pick off the struggling Raiders and finally stop their slide.

“We have a long road ahead for us,” Ryan said. “We have to make up for three years of disappointments around here. We have a lot of work ahead of us.

“It starts Week 2, getting a victory in Oakland. They are 0-1 as well. I’m quite sure they want to get a victory. They are in a rebuilding process as well. I’m sure it’ll be a dogfight.”

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Gordon: Ryan, Rams Can't Look Back Now

How the hell could he say " It was a good play. Give him credit." ?

Dude hold onto the frickin ball. Thats all . Protect it with two hands.

ITs amazing some of the dumb plays we make or dont make that cost us games time and time again. ITs almost like we cannot get a break .

Dropping picks here and passes there. It sucks. Getting FG block sucks.

Why cant this team just right the ship for once man?? GEEZ!!!

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Uh, because it WAS a good play and people SHOULD give him credit?

That said, I agree ... hold on to the ball!
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The bottom line is that Ryan should have protected the ball better. Sure give Breaston credit for not giving up on the play. Shouldn't someone on our team have blocked Breaston when he was closing in on Ryan. How many of our guys gave up?..How many of our guys did he run past to make that play?

Unacceptable!!!!!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Ryan is a defensive tackle. How many times has he ran with the ball in the open field? Um, once maybe? What does he know about ball security? Every running back and receiver in the league has had the ball stripped away at one time or another and they regularly drill on how to hold it. Ryan made a hustle play and got surprised. As others have mentioned, it's not like he was showboating or dancing into the end zone. He'll learn from it and hopefully get another opportunity. He's a good kid and a valuable asset to the team. People need to get over it.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not putting the blame solely on Ryan. How many of our guys just figured he was going to score and forgot or gave up on hitting someone? Namely Breaston?

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I dont know what you guys want ryan to do. He held the ball high and tight, just like every running back is taught to do, hell the dude was carrying the ball in much better way then Adrian Peterson does. Breaston just our ran him. There is nothing wrong with what happened, he did all he could to get to the goal line. We should all be proud of the hustle he showed of getting it down to the goal line.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Ryan is a defensive tackle. How many times has he ran with the ball in the open field? Um, once maybe? What does he know about ball security? Every running back and receiver in the league has had the ball stripped away at one time or another and they regularly drill on how to hold it. Ryan made a hustle play and got surprised. As others have mentioned, it's not like he was showboating or dancing into the end zone. He'll learn from it and hopefully get another opportunity. He's a good kid and a valuable asset to the team. People need to get over it.
    Very well put. It was an unlucky thing to happen, but it happened. Ryan has 15 more weeks to make up for it, which I'm sure he will. And I'm sure all the haters will be fairly singing his praises for it </sarcasm>.