Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Gordon: Smith Departs As King Of Rams Draft Busts

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Gordon: Smith Departs As King Of Rams Draft Busts

Nick, the answer is a whole ton. The first round of 2009 is quite possibly the bustiest list this side of the Playboy Playmates of 2009*.

I remember sometime last year writing about that subject but I don't feel like pulling it out again. Needless to say, there a whole lot of oysters, but no pearls.

*Can someone find me that list... for innocent research reasons only...

I believe!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Everyone drafts guys that turn out to be busts. Drafting is an inexact science- something we lose sight of in today's day and age of prognosticators who claim to have all the answers on every media outlet 24-7. The problem is the Rams have drafted poorly with much more frequency than other teams. There have been a couple of draft classes where the Rams have selected absolutely no one of value- no exaggeration. This simply has to change. And this is one big reason my enthusiasm was tempered when we received the draft pick windfall from the RGIII deal. A billion picks mean absolutely nothing if they aren't used successfully. And I need to see something from this first round of selections from this year. This regime needs to show fans it is different from the previous three to inspire confidence.
    ramsbruce likes this.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

To be fair, Monroe has concussion issues also and hasn't been lighting it up and Senor DDD cup in Cincy isn't exactly dominating. Just a rough year. Maybin. Heyward-Bey was such a reach and he's one of the better ones.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Tony Softli said on 101.1 yesterday that Monroe was removed from the Rams 1st round prospect list because of his serious knee injuries in college. He said about 16 teams had removed him from their boards because he didn't pass their medical evaluation prior to the draft.

He also said Smith is a different person since coming back from the concussions. The implication I got from what he said is that Smith doesn't have the focus / drive required to be a starter in the NFL.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Everyone drafts guys that turn out to be busts. Drafting is an inexact science- something we lose sight of in today's day and age of prognosticators who claim to have all the answers on every media outlet 24-7. The problem is the Rams have drafted poorly with much more frequency than other teams. There have been a couple of draft classes where the Rams have selected absolutely no one of value- no exaggeration. This simply has to change. And this is one big reason my enthusiasm was tempered when we received the draft pick windfall from the RGIII deal. A billion picks mean absolutely nothing if they aren't used successfully. And I need to see something from this first round of selections from this year. This regime needs to show fans it is different from the previous three to inspire confidence.
    If the new regime remains poor at drafting, would it not make more sense to have more picks (chances) then less? As you said "Drafting is an inexact science" even if all the signs are great for a blue chip draft pick, like a Jason Smith.

If ten years from now Daryl Richardson is putting the finishing touches on a HOF Rams career, will we remember he was taken in the 7th round after Pead the higher, safer pick, more logical pick The same can be said about Givens and Quick. I agree the draft is more of a crap shoot then a science. Having said that I think the coaches can have a great impact on the success rate of draft picks.

Maybe I'm way off, I don't know, just seems like it's a numbers game to me.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If the new regime remains poor at drafting, would it not make more sense to have more picks (chances) then less? As you said "Drafting is an inexact science" even if all the signs are great for a blue chip draft pick, like a Jason Smith.

If ten years from now Daryl Richardson is putting the finishing touches on a HOF Rams career, will we remember he was taken in the 7th round after Pead the higher, safer pick, more logical pick The same can be said about Givens and Quick. I agree the draft is more of a crap shoot then a science. Having said that I think the coaches can have a great impact on the success rate of draft picks.

Maybe I'm way off, I don't know, just seems like it's a numbers game to me.
    I'm not going to digress and get into a "was it worth it?" discussion on the RGIII deal. That topic was dissected at length for weeks after it happened. My point is simply that draft picks mean nothing if you don't hit on good players who will be with you for years to come. And though the current regime isn't responsible for past Rams failures, we as fans have been here through ALL of those past failures. Our fortunes lie in their ability to get it right. And several of those picks- Givens, Pead, Jenkins, Johnson, Quick- need to pan out in a big way for me to have confidence in future drafts.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I'm not going to digress and get into a "was it worth it?" discussion on the RGIII deal. That topic was dissected at length for weeks after it happened. My point is simply that draft picks mean nothing if you don't hit on good players who will be with you for years to come. And though the current regime isn't responsible for past Rams failures, we as fans have been here through ALL of those past failures. Our fortunes lie in their ability to get it right. And several of those picks- Givens, Pead, Jenkins, Johnson, Quick- need to pan out in a big way for me to have confidence in future drafts.
    NJ I did not want to debate RGIII. I agree they have too plan out no doubt my take right or wrong is we have a better chance to hit on some keepers with more picks, then staying pat and taking one blue chipper that's all.

One good sign in this draft vs last year is... our 5th -7th round picks are going to make the team, that's an improvement. Lets hope a few higher picks stick as well.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

From what I've heard, Alex Barron and Jason Smith have one thing in common. And that is that they are both huge basketball fans. Not football fans, basketball.

To me, it seems they were playing football because they were athletes that could, rather than being guys that wanted to play.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    From what I've heard, Alex Barron and Jason Smith have one thing in common. And that is that they are both huge basketball fans. Not football fans, basketball.

To me, it seems they were playing football because they were athletes that could, rather than being guys that wanted to play.
    You can put Gholston in the camp as well. His true love is bodybuilding. I think football was just a way to support his habit.

punahou is offline Registered User

im not even going to state and quote how critical I have been in recent ram drafts- you all know I havs been. you can also put me down for many of this years picks that we shouldnt have taken

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    - you all know I havs been.
    if you havs says so.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

At the risk of derailing this freight train...

Quote Originally Posted by Ventesette View Post
    To be fair, Monroe has concussion issues also and hasn't been lighting it up
    He may not have established himself quite yet as a Top Five tackle in the league, but he is rather highly thought of (Pro Football Focus, Scouts Inc, Rotoworld).

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Tony Softli said on 101.1 yesterday that Monroe was removed from the Rams 1st round prospect list because of his serious knee injuries in college. He said about 16 teams had removed him from their boards because he didn't pass their medical evaluation prior to the draft.
    And yet he's started 42 games over three years. Guess the medical part of the pre-draft process can also be a crapshoot.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Haste is offline Registered User

Along with our training staff last year with all of those hamstring injuries, I think the Rams need to evaluate the coaches who are developing these draft picks. I think some of our draft pick failures were due to our Wr/ line coaches just not being able to advance the players games much if at all past college.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Where is Sam Bradford on this list?

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

wait what?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12