Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gordon: Williams Ready To Finish What he Started

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Gordon: Williams Ready To Finish What he Started

Gordon: Williams ready to finish what he started

3 hours ago • By Jeff Gordon jgordon@post-dispatch.com

The Rams kicked off their 2014 “No Excuses Tour” with the Gregg Williams news conference Thursday at Rams Park.

Williams is the new/old Rams defensive coordinator. He is the man Rams coach Jeff Fisher wanted back on Day 1 of this massive rebuilding project.

But the “Bountygate” fallout ended Williams’ first run at Rams Park after a few months. In his absence, Jeff Fisher’s defensive staff struggled to coax consistent performances from the Jeff Fisher Defense during the past two seasons.

One problem, of course, was the personnel Jeff Fisher picked to run the Jeff Fisher Defense. Some veterans got old on the job. Many younger players had to learn on the fly, enduring many trials while making lots of errors.

But Year 3 of the Fisher Regime is under way. After two seven-victory seasons restored respectability at Rams Park, the team expects to contend for postseason play this season.

"We're in the winning games business," Williams told reporters. "This is a great game, (but) it's a production business. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work."

Quick turnarounds are the norm in the NFL. This organization took the longer route, choosing to rebuild via the draft while collecting extra picks over a three-year span.

So Fisher, general manager Les Snead and the entire football operation must nail this draft. The Rams also must cycle out some more fading veterans and get some young veterans over the developmental hump.

The time has come for Jeff Fisher’s players to win more games with the Jeff Fisher Defense. History tells us that Williams can make that happen.

His track record is stellar, aside from that unseemly “Bountygate” business. Williams has built Top 5 defenses at his various NFL stops.

"There are no excuses for this defense not to do that," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "We're fired up . . . it is a buy-in program. You're going to see a team working hard every day.

"There are absolutely no excuses. We need to be a Top 5 defensive team."

With Williams at the defensive helm, we will hear no more chatter about how coordinator-by-committee failed in 2012, with Gregg's son Blake calling plays. We won’t hear any more about how the job overwhelmed first-time coordinator Tim Walton last season.

Fisher decided to replace Walton during staff evaluations last month. "I was a little big uncomfortable," Fisher said. "As a result of that, I reached out to Gregg in late January.

"The timing was not ideal for Coach Walton, who did a good job for us."

Fisher and Williams had some issues to resolve. Fisher could not have been pleased when the "Bountygate" scandal blew up and soiled his program.

Williams could not have been thrilled with Blake's coaching demise at Rams Park. Gregg watched from the stands at the Edward Jones Dome as his son tried to fill his shoes.

"Gregg and I had to come to terms with a lot of things," Fisher said.

"Those are things between Jeff and I," Williams said.

Despite those things, Williams found comfort in reuniting with his old boss and former colleagues. "There are several coaches on this staff who have played for me and coach with me," he said.

He never ruled out a Rams reunion, despite the earlier issues.

"I always thought this was a possibility," Williams said. "I always thought this was a great place to be."

Williams served his NFL suspension for his shenanigans in New Orleans. He did a year of rehab in Tennessee as an assistant coach.

Now Williams is getting back to work for real. Expect the Rams to play a much more ambitious scheme.

"If we're going to go out and play a football game, I want to know win or lose that we will go out swinging," Laurinaitis said. "I would assume we would be very aggressive on third down.

"There are a lot of moving parts, a lot of disguising. It's exciting . . . I would rather do all of that than sit back in coverage."

If opponents see Williams’ return as an ominous development, so be it. The Rams would rather have a hated defense than one that Golden Tate and others can mock with impunity.

"A lot of people were uncomfortable watching the Super Bowl," Williams said. "Not me. It was a great defensive game."

The Seahawks have a great defense. So do the *****. So the Rams will need to build a strong defense to keep up in the NFC West.

"We have our work cut out for us," Williams said. "We want to be a good, solid, if not great-in-some-areas defensive football team."

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Gordon: Williams Ready To Finish What he Started

Bountygate might actually work in our favor from here on out.

Everyone knows Williams is a great coordinator, and we all know head coach is the next promotion.

However, I doubt any organization will be quick to make the ring-leader of bountygate the face of their organization. I'm not saying he won't ever get a shot, but I'll bet it will be AT LEAST a few years before he is considered, after the scandal truly blows over and becomes a thing of the past.

This may well be one of the last pieces of the puzzle to a long-term dominant Rams defense.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-13-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    evil disco man and ramsbruce like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Williams said in his presser he hoped this would be his last stop. He said he wants to win a lot of games here.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

This might be Williams easies job yet--the Rams already have a lot to work with. Some coaches walk into situations where the team is already built with all the pieces pretty much in place while others walk in and have to pickup the pieces of a train wreck.

I fully expect great things on defense--and will be biting at the bit for the draft to come around to see where the Rams will go
    RealRam and Rammed like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Be careful what you wish for. I think the people who are always quick to bellyache about the refs and the league "screwing the Rams" better prepare to be ultra-scrutinized given Williams' past shenanigans. You can't support this decision then think the league won't have an eye on the team. That's what happens when you dance with the devil.

With that said, I wholeheartedly endorse this move. Williams can coach, and in a division where smash-mouth, ultra-physical play is the norm his presence is both welcomed and needed.
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Agree with NJ.

And I hope that during each game's opening coin toss ceremony, our defense captain will 'oficially request' the officials to...

Take it easy / be fair! We'll target Kaperdonkle like rabid rams ...but without a bounty on him.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. I think the people who are always quick to bellyache about the refs and the league "screwing the Rams" better prepare to be ultra-scrutinized given Williams' past shenanigans. You can't support this decision then think the league won't have an eye on the team. That's what happens when you dance with the devil..
    I disagree.

This wasn't just an isolated incident. Apparently, it was a fairly common practice in the NFL. Williams just happened to be the scapegoat. Granted, he should have stopped it when the league warned him, but that's not the point.

The referees are the ones who are being ultra-scrutinized lately. They need to worry about making the right calls, not screwing over a team because their DC was involved in a scandal years ago that doesn't affect them whatsoever.

I think my view on this topic is validated by Williams last coaching stop in Tennessee. The Titans defense seemed to perform just fine when Williams was an intricate part of the defensive coaching and game-planning. DC title or not, everyone knew he was a major force involved in revamping their defense, and he did everything but hurt the team with his past scandal. In fact, they ranked 18th in total defensive penalties last year. That stat doesn't leave me feeling as if the referees are scrutinizing Williams defenses.

To me, it's a non-issue.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-13-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    ramsbruce, laram0 and Rammed like this.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Gordon: Williams ready to finish what he started

3 hours ago • By Jeff Gordon jgordon@post-dispatch.com

"There are no excuses for this defense not to do that," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "We're fired up . . . it is a buy-in program. You're going to see a team working hard every day.
    I thought it was more of a pay out program that's what the problem was lmao.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Williams watched Quinn destroy Qbs and Ogletree chase down running backs then called fisher and said "bro c'mon man, give me a shot. i promise i'll be good... cause dem two boys dont need to be paid. They killin everyone already.
    gap likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I disagree.

This wasn't just an isolated incident. Apparently, it was a fairly common practice in the NFL. Williams just happened to be the scapegoat. Granted, he should have stopped it when the league warned him, but that's not the point.

The referees are the ones who are being ultra-scrutinized lately. They need to worry about making the right calls, not screwing over a team because their DC was involved in a scandal years ago that doesn't affect them whatsoever.

I think my view on this topic is validated by Williams last coaching stop in Tennessee. The Titans defense seemed to perform just fine when Williams was an intricate part of the defensive coaching and game-planning. DC title or not, everyone knew he was a major force involved in revamping their defense, and he did everything but hurt the team with his past scandal. In fact, they ranked 18th in total defensive penalties last year. That stat doesn't leave me feeling as if the referees are scrutinizing Williams defenses.

To me, it's a non-issue.

We differ greatly on this issue. First off, Williams' time in Tennessee was BEFORE "Bountygate". Obviously there was no need for the refs or the league to scrutinize him. Today, it is a different story.

Secondly, just because "Bountygate" is over doesn't mean Williams will fly under the NFL's radar. I don't doubt others provided incentives for hard hits or knocking guys out of games, but Williams' audio comments and the widespread organizational nature of his involvement led to the sanctions being so serious. At a time when the league must be ultra-careful concerning the sensitivity of head injuries, he gave them no choice.

Third, the performance of the refs is largely a byproduct of the league mandates concerning safety. They didn't "just become bad" all of a sudden. And those who constantly complain about the refs come across as whiners. And if one whines enough, he won't be taken seriously when there's actually a legitimate issue to gripe about. The notion that the refs "have it out for the Rams" more than other teams is completely baseless.

And again, I like the Williams hire. He obviously can coach. I was just pointing out that people better come to grips with the fact that given his involvement with bountygate, an extra-watchful eye will be cast on us. I don't believe for a second that "all has been forgotten".
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -02-14-2014 at 09:17 AM.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    First off, Williams' time in Tennessee was BEFORE "Bountygate". Obviously there was no need for the refs or the league to scrutinize him. Today, it is a different story.
    I believe Festus is talking about last season, when G. Williams worked for the Titans as Senior Assistant Defensive Coach.
    THOLTFAN81 and Rammed like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I disagree.

To me, it's a non-issue.
    I agree with this. The referees aren't the ones that will be looking at our RAMS any differently. It will be the plan put in place by Roger Goodell, if there is one? Meaning this is a league office issue.

So having said that, to me it's a non-issue on the field.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I agree with this. The referees aren't the ones that will be looking at our RAMS any differently. It will be the plan put in place by Roger Goodell, if there is one? Meaning this is a league office issue.

So having said that, to me it's a non-issue on the field.
    I too think think this can cause undue scrutiny. I felt the Rams chippiness last year resulted in some penalties that were questionable. I am not sure how employing Bountygate author will not cause heightened awareness by officials.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Reality time here...all players know who the other team's best players are and if you can hit them, likely it will be with a bit more intensity. So in fact there is ALWAYS a bounty, even if the reward is a pat-on-the-back.

This pass 2013, referees where too much in the spotlight, for the wrong reasons. Too many bad calls, too many missed calls, and far too many WRONG calls was the theme of 2013. What is truly troubling is how the poor officiating of games undermines the integrity of the game. A poor call can seriously change the out come of a game--move a team within or beyond a winning field goal, grant or deny a first down that can lead to 6 points...etc...etc....

The league has to get the "refs" out of the game and let the teams decide who wins. These rules, "defenseless player", "illegal contact to the head", "Blah Ba Blah" often happen in a real time speed that few of us can really see. With today's technology, it shouldn't be that way. There should always be a booth review of those calls to affirm or over rule the calling on the field.

That same technology nullifies the "over scrutinized Williams defense" arguement. Since so much of the NFL is public relations and a lot of rules are in place to protect the IMAGE OF THE GAME from malcontents and even whistle-blowers, it still wouldn't take long for media reporters/fans/team owners to start bringing question of game integrity out" That the league can't afford.

Case in point, during the last labor dispute with the Referee Association and replacement refs where on the field, the image of the games integrity was coming into question. The NFL folded like a house a cards gaining little or no concessions. While the league discusses rule changes/expansions and all things football in their next meetings, eventually the topic of poor play calling will come up
    Rammed likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I tend to believe that Jeff Fisher teams have always been "chippy", this stems from his playing days under Buddy Ryan in Chicago. Gregg Williams fits that mold which is why in addition to his smart defensive schemes he was hired. I welcome the refs monitoring our play carefully because it will force us to play more disciplined and avoid penalties that cost us yardage and games. Let's not lose sight of the fact its about the talent and execution.

Go Rams!
    Rambos likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast