Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gordon: Williams Ready To Finish What he Started

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Gordon: Williams Ready To Finish What he Started

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I too think think this can cause undue scrutiny. I felt the Rams chippiness last year resulted in some penalties that were questionable. I am not sure how employing Bountygate author will not cause heightened awareness by officials.
    Does everyone discount the possibility that Gregg learned from his experience? The job of "coaching" requires that coaches must adapt continually - not only schematically, but to the personnel they have to work with. My guess is that Williams will be an even better coach as a result of bountygate. A year without participation in the game he loves? There was plenty of time for reflection.

Hopefully he will convert the energy wasted by mere "chippiness" and trash talking into greater focus, and hard legal hits. Everyone here seems to acknowledge that Williams is a very good coach.

As far as Bountygate goes, to my knowledge - Gregg never whined or sniveled about his punishment. He took his medicine - apparently to Goodell's satisfaction.

The best remedy for opposing teams "trash talking" is to simply point up at the scoreboard if you are ahead. If you aren't ahead, then shut up. Instead, funnel that anger into energy that can be applied on the next play and so on. A team that is trash talking while losing comes off as petty punks. I believe Williams will emphasize cutting out dumb dead ball fouls.

Talented focused players win games. There are some very talented players on this Rams' defense, and there will be at least two or three more by training camp. Our young D will likely buy into Williams' coaching wholeheartedly. I believe Williams for his part will be even more focused on the truly important things having gone through the scandal/suspension.

Winning will always trump trash talking/shoving/late hits etc. If anyone knows this, I'm sure Gregg does ..
    Rammed likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Does anyone else find it ironic that our term for a group of burly tough guys intimidating all living organisms in their environment with added emphasis, legal or otherwise, is.........."chippy"?

Just doesn't seem to fit.
    RealRam and Rammed like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    We differ greatly on this issue. First off, Williams' time in Tennessee was BEFORE "Bountygate". Obviously there was no need for the refs or the league to scrutinize him. Today, it is a different story.
    Actually, I was referring to Williams tenure there LAST SEASON. 2013. AFTER Bountgate. Not his tenure with Fisher. With that in mind, my first post should make a lot more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Secondly, just because "Bountygate" is over doesn't mean Williams will fly under the NFL's radar. I don't doubt others provided incentives for hard hits or knocking guys out of games, but Williams' audio comments and the widespread organizational nature of his involvement led to the sanctions being so serious. At a time when the league must be ultra-careful concerning the sensitivity of head injuries, he gave them no choice.

Third, the performance of the refs is largely a byproduct of the league mandates concerning safety. They didn't "just become bad" all of a sudden. And those who constantly complain about the refs come across as whiners. And if one whines enough, he won't be taken seriously when there's actually a legitimate issue to gripe about. The notion that the refs "have it out for the Rams" more than other teams is completely baseless.

And again, I like the Williams hire. He obviously can coach. I was just pointing out that people better come to grips with the fact that given his involvement with bountygate, an extra-watchful eye will be cast on us. I don't believe for a second that "all has been forgotten".
    Agree to disagree. I'm not worried about it. The way I see it, if the referees choose to keep an "extra-watchful eye" on the Rams defense, it could easily backfire on them. They really need to worry about making the right calls. Also, the NFL would like to sweep the whole situation under the rug as soon as possible. They're not going to harass a team who had nothing to do with the scandal, or a coach who "did his time" for what he did wrong.

Again, his tenure in Tennessee AFTER Bountygate strengthens my views on this.

Sure, it won't ever be completely forgotten about. But, do I think it will hold this team back in any way, shape or form? Not at all.
    Rammed likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Actually, I was referring to Williams tenure there LAST SEASON. 2013. AFTER Bountgate. Not his tenure with Fisher. With that in mind, my first post should make a lot more sense now.

Agree to disagree. I'm not worried about it. The way I see it, if the referees choose to keep an "extra-watchful eye" on the Rams defense, it could easily backfire on them. They really need to worry about making the right calls. Also, the NFL would like to sweep the whole situation under the rug as soon as possible. They're not going to harass a team who had nothing to do with the scandal, or a coach who "did his time" for what he did wrong.

Again, his tenure in Tennessee AFTER Bountygate strengthens my views on this.

Sure, it won't ever be completely forgotten about. But, do I think it will hold this team back in any way, shape or form? Not at all.

I respect your opinions, which certainly are reasonable. And I made a mistake in not realizing you were talking about Williams' tenure with the Titans LAST season. I DO like the Williams hire and look forward to seeing his schemes and watching the Rams' swarming "D" next season.

And mde8352gorams made a great point that I hadn't thought of: he actually WELCOMES the thought of extra scrutiny, as it would force the Rams to play with a bit more discipline- something that bit them periodically last season.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Most Ram fans think our defense is better then it actually is. Leading the league in sacks or close to it the last two years does not mean we have a great or even good defense. We have too many penalties, pour tackling and have let teams score way to many points.

What I like about Williams is what he said yesterday. We need to stop teams from scoring and tackle. Simple if they don't let them score we win games, sacks are great but it not the goal.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-14-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    MauiRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Most Ram fans think our defense is better then it actually is. Leading the league in sacks or close to it the last two years does not mean we have a great or even good defense. We have too many penalties, pour tackling and have let teams score way to many points.

What I like about Williams is what he said yesterday. We need to stop teams from scoring and tackle. Simple if they don't let them score we win games, sacks are great but it not the goal.
    This is an excellent point, Rambos. I think we sometimes get caught up in statistics- namely sacks and interceptions. They can obscure the big picture- which is that the Rams total defense wasn't as good as it needs to be to compete in the west. One defensive stat trumps the rest and that's "points allowed". Hopefully under Williams, the Rams take that next step.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12