Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RAMarkable
  • 1 Post By Curly Horns
  • 2 Post By bradwill

Thread: Gordon's report card - Rams vs Jets

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Gordon's report card - Rams vs Jets

1 hour ago • BY JEFF GORDON
    Here are the grades for the St. Louis Rams for their ugly 27-13 victory loss to the previously reeling New York Jets:

QUARTERBACK: Sam Bradford started well, marching the Rams downfield for their initial score. He threw a touchdown pass to Brandon Gibson on a deft fourth-and-goal conversion. But the game went horribly wrong from there. He threw a costly interception on an ill-advised throw. “You can’t come across the field and throw it late into the flat,” he said. Bradford lost a sack fumble as well and both turnovers put the Rams in a tough spot. A garbage time TD cleaned up his statistics, but not the lasting impression of his performance. The Rams won't beat many teams converting just five of 16 third down plays. GRADE: D-minus.

RUNNING BACK: Steven Jackson and Daryl Richardson combined for 107 yards on 19 carries. Richardson added 18 yards one his one reception. Such running should have positioned Bradford for success, but it didn’t. Richardson’s costly fumble undermined his team’s belated comeback bid and Jackson failed to hang onto a potential first down pass. This guys could have been better too. GRADE: C-plus.

RECEIVERS: Brandon Gibson caught a couple of touchdown passes. Danny Amendola showed his usual heart coming from a foot injury to play in the game. But the receivers didn’t get much separation in this game. “When they send extra guys, you’ve got to get rid of the football,” Fisher said. “The issue was they were fitting routes well and Sam was holding the ball. When the quarterback holds the ball with no place (to throw to), that’s when the pocket collapses.” Rookie Chris Givens fell down on one deep route and didn’t get free on another. Brian Quick was a non-factor again. “It’s just unacceptable to have a lull like that, so we’re just going to have to work on that,” Amendola said. GRADE: D.

TIGHT ENDS: Lance Kendricks caught the two balls thrown to him. Mike McNeil had a catch, too. They did an OK job blocking, but it’s a shame this group hasn’t made a bigger overall impact on the offense. GRADE: C.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Bradford suffered a fumble sack after fill-in left guard Shelley Smith whiffed on Muhammad Wilkerson. Bradford showed some survival skills while scrambling several times to avoid additional sacks as the Jets threw a blanket on Rams receivers. The offensive line did a solid job with their run blocking as the Rams averaged 5.7 yards on the ground. GRADE: C.

DEFENSIVE LINE: The Jets gashed the Rams defensive front for some big holes. Overall, their running backs carried the ball 33 times for 120 yards. “We’re losing first down, creating third-and-shorts and we couldn’t get the ball back,” Fisher said. Defensive end Chris Long earned a couple of sacks, but running mate Robert Quinn was mostly invisible. The Rams failed to apply real pass pressure when they needed to. GRADE: D.

LINEBACKERS: Middle man James Laurinaitis made 10 tackles and outside linebacker Rocky McIntosh made a couple of nice plays after Mario Haggan suffered an elbow injury, but overall this unit wasn’t good enough. Jo-Lonn Dunbar did not enjoy his finest three hours as a Ram. “They forced turnovers, we didn’t,” Laurintaitis said. “That was the tale of the ballgame.” GRADE: D

SECONDARY: It’s tough to make beleaguered Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez look like a world beater, but the Rams accomplished that rare feat. Rookie cornerback Trumaine Johnson had a especially tough day as Sanchez completed 15 or 20 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown. How could that group of receivers get so much separation at critical points of the game? Safety Quintin Mikell forced a Sanchez fumble during a blitz, but naturally the Rams did not recover it. GRADE: F.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Amid all the other carnage was a holding penalty on Rodney McLeod. That negated an electrifying touchdown kickoff return by Givens. Negating potential game-changing big plays is what bad teams do. It was an iffy call, perhaps, but there was definitely a tug. The Rams also allowed a 43-yard kickoff return and 29 yards on three punt returns. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins blocked a field goal while playing his way out of the doghouse. Rookie punter Johnny Hekker averaged 50.2 yards on five tries GRADE: C-minus.

COACHING: The Jets were either going to be really good or really bad after their tumultuous week. It turned out they were really good – and Fisher and Co. had no answer to their resulting surge. This game was a tactical nightmare for the Rams. Also, they were sloppy again – and those breakdowns always fall back onto coaching and preparation. “They kept changing things up on us,” Fisher said. “They covered us. They pressured us when they needed pressure and we just didn’t make the consistent plays.” GRADE: F.

Jeff Gordon

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Re: Gordon's report card - Rams vs Jets

I have to agree with Gordon on most of his grades especially the F for coaching.

Jockelite is offline Registered User

Gordon's report card - Rams vs Jets-fail-stamp.jpg
    I think this about sums up the Rams as a whole for the day.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I thought Schotty's play calling was especially "schitty" today. No draw plays, screens or even the occasional "smoke" route. No reverses or anything that resembled any kind of imagination.

Plus, we had the running game going pretty well but for some unknown reason we didn't utilize play action much at all.

I kinda thought that he might know how to attack the Jets defense better since he is so familiar with it. Guess I was wrong. Hopefully we won't be playing any other teams that Schotty supposedly knows the rest of the year.

WHAT SAY YE?
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I thought Schotty's play calling was especially "schitty" today. No draw plays, screens or even the occasional "smoke" route. No reverses or anything that resembled any kind of imagination.

Plus, we had the running game going pretty well but for some unknown reason we didn't utilize play action much at all.

I kinda thought that he might know how to attack the Jets defense better since he is so familiar with it. Guess I was wrong. Hopefully we won't be playing any other teams that Schotty supposedly knows the rest of the year.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Have we executed one good screen this season? Maybe we have, but I bet it is darn few. I'd have to think it is something they just don't like or work on much. It's probably just me, but as far as play action goes, it seems like it is becoming a lost art in the NFL with every passing year.
    live4ramin likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Agree with the grades, though I'd give the LB's a solid "F" because they really stunk today. JL has mastered the art of making a tackle after a RB gets 4-5 yards or more, but in the 4-3 D, the MLB is supposed to FILL the holes, not wait until the RB has already broke into the second plane.

Just a poor effort all-around and the last two games have me sort of questioning what is going through Jeff Fisher's mind because he's making some decisions that look really damn stupid.
    live4ramin and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

Haste is offline Registered User

Shotty's game plan during key moments left me puzzled to say the least. We needed 7-10 yards on many occasions in the 2nd half and we have guys running 1-2 yard routes which of course Sam decides to throw to.

So while his game-plan and play-calling was terrible today, so was Sam's pass selection.

Happened especially toward the end of the game where we should have been in 2 min offense mode throwing mid-long passes.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The parts of the game that I saw reminded me of the NE game. We start quickly and act as if the game is over at that point. Luckily we weren't facing anywhere near the caliber of team that NE was a few weeks ago, or this would've been real ugly.

And so the question lingers on about Sam Bradford. Is he ever going to turn the corner and become the QB we thought he was when we drafted him?