Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Gordo's Post Game Overview and Notes

Overview

Ram Nation suffered unhappy Tony Banks flashbacks Sunday afternoon.

The Carolina Panthers dismissed the Rams 15-0 in one of the ugliest football games you will ever have the misfortune of viewing.

"It was a very, very poor showing," coach Scott Linehan said.

Not since the Banks Era have the Rams looks so hapless with the ball. In fact, this was the team’s first shutout since a 14-0 1998 loss at Miami – the infamous day when Banks walked off the team flight and took a mini-vacation in South Florida.

This game was every bit as bad. The Rams mustered just 115 yards told offense. May the "Greatest Show on Turf" rest in peace.

Evidently, Linehan didn’t like his chances to running the ball behind his makeshift offensive line. He made no effort to establish the ground game. The Rams ran eight times and threw 41 times.

"A lot of that was their early success," Linehan said.

Adam Goldberg, a natural right guard, started at left tackle for the injured Orlando Pace. He struggled more than a little bit.

Also, rookie Mark Setterstrom saw action at right guard in place of the beat-up Adam Timmerman. And when the Panthers loaded up the defensive box with blitzers, quarterback Marc Bulger checked off into quick passes.

"There were four or five called runs where we threw the ball," Linehan said. "But you have to stick with (the run)."

The more the Rams threw the ball, the more the Panthers blitzed Bulger. The results were not favorable to the visitors.

The Rams gave quarterback Bulger little or no time to operate. He suffered seven sacks for 62 yards in losses and a safety. He had little opportunity to throw the ball downfield, completing 19 of 34 passes for just 142 yards.

Bulger kept throwing underneath – and eventually one of those quick passes was picked off, by Our Town’s Christian Morton.

Torry Holt contributed a fumble to this mess. Isaac Bruce caught just one pass for six yards and dropped some key passes.

"There was nothing," Linehan said. "We have to create the spark. We have to have a better plan and go out and execute it."

On the other hand, the Rams defense allowed 242 yards on the ground.

The Panthers lost leading rusher DeShaun Foster to a first-half elbow injury, but rookie running back DeAngelo Williams rushed for 114 yards. Fullback Brad Hoover hurt them, too, as did third back Nick Goings.

So despite picking off a couple of Jake Delhomme passes, forcing a fumble and holding the Panthers to 13 points, the defense couldn't throw a party after this loss.

Run/pass ratio

No excuse for that. Remember the sequence where the Rams got eight yards on a first-down run by Steven Jackson? Their next two plays were passes, which went for no gain and an incompletion.

Offensive Coaching Adjustments

Carolina did things to the Rams offense that we haven't seen in years. The Rams were unable to make the Panthers pay any sort of price for blitzing. The Rams got rid of the ball a bunch of times, but never did they take advantage of one-on-one coverage by getting the ball to a receiving on the move, going downfield. Very frustrating.

No Davis?

Linehan used his RBs as receivers in this game. Davis got rotated in, but his deal is running downfield. There was no downfield running in this game.

Bulger Won't Last...

Getting hit like this. We may see Gus Frerotte after all, if this is the best the makeshift line can block.

RB Pass Pro

Steve Jackson had couple of notable pick-up blocks against the blitz -- but, sure, using him more for protection might have allowed Bulger to hit Holt or Bruce coming out of their break against man-to-man coverage. That was something the Martz offense did a good job of.

Panthers D

You're right, Linehan anticipated the sort of stuff Carolina pulled. He just didn't have the right answers for it. A team with this sort of weaponry cannot produced just over 100 yards total offense. That just cannot happen!

Winnable games left on the schedule

There are plenty, actually. The NFC isn't great. A quick look around the scoreboard tells you that. But the Rams can't beat anybody, even the Niners, even at home, playinig like this.

Perhaps Linehan and Gary Pinkel can get together a commiserate over coffee . . .

Soft receivers

There were a few untimely examples "alligator arms" out there today. Holt is a Pro Bowler and Ike is a potential Hall of Famer, but this was not their proudest hour.

Beating the blitz

At least some of the problem is schematic, since pass targets aren't getting the ball in position to go far. But anytime a team breaks down this badly, poor team execution and individual failure also factor in. I'm not sure how much of falls on Bulger; I expect we'll learn more at Linehan's post-mortem Monday afternoon at Rams Park.

Better than the 49'ers?

Not playing like this they aren't. I had been pretty happy with most of the Rams offense this season, especially the good mileage Linehan was getting out of Jackson. Today's collpase was jarring. I figured the Rams would lose this game, but I didn't anticipate anyting this bad.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Gordo's Post Game Overview and Notes

"It was a very, very poor showing"
    "There were four or five called runs where we threw the ball," Linehan said. "But you have to stick with (the run)."
    "There was nothing," Linehan said. "We have to create the spark. We have to have a better plan and go out and execute it."

Every quote there Linehan needs to apply to himself...I grow tired of his blaming of everyone else in the first post game interviews...man up and take the blame...you're the coach, the boss, th guy who's success/failure rides on your shoulders...pathetic...

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    "It was a very, very poor showing"

Every quote there Linehan needs to apply to himself...I grow tired of his blaming of everyone else in the first post game interviews...man up and take the blame...you're the coach, the boss, th guy who's success/failure rides on your shoulders...pathetic...
    i don't really think those quotes are all that bad.

1. it was a poor showing as a team, that's not blaming anyone else.

2. he could have maybe left that comment out, but i guess he wasn't happy that bulger audibled out of the run that many times. or maybe without the context it sounds more like blaming.

3. he says "have a better plan" AND "execute it." he's the one that makes the gameplan, and the players execute it. he's taking the blame for the game plan, so i don't see what the big deal is there??

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    i don't really think those quotes are all that bad.

1. it was a poor showing as a team, that's not blaming anyone else.

2. he could have maybe left that comment out, but i guess he wasn't happy that bulger audibled out of the run that many times. or maybe without the context it sounds more like blaming.

3. he says "have a better plan" AND "execute it." he's the one that makes the gameplan, and the players execute it. he's taking the blame for the game plan, so i don't see what the big deal is there??
    He says it was a poor showing...it was, especially by him.

He's says to stick with the run, but he overcalls pass plays...so Bulger audibled out of 4 runs, that would have brough the total to a whopping 12.

He says we have to have a better plan and execute it...he's been saying that every week...if he's not writing up the plans, who is?

These aren't his first comments...after each loss he is quick to point out different player's failures. I just think it's time for him to look into the mirror and see one of the main problems...himself.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Can i rest my case from last week. The playcalling is horrid. The execution starts with the coaches gameplan. This coach fails to recognize what talent he has and what they are capable of doing. With a week line- He could have placed the veterans to execute more blocking schemes to allow for seperation for the passing games. Not using Davis to be a fullback blocker really embarrassed his whole approach. Especially versus Jim Fox.
    Against the ***** this coach better consider not losing this game-or his head will be placed on a corner post near the dome. Pressure for a new headcoach. Oh Yea-- That is the expectation week in week out. How his team responds will determine his fate.
    Some of you will think i am being harsh. But sometimes putting pressure on a coach brings out the best approach for victories. What a waste of talent.
    I would hate to say it again. Quit smiley Mad Scientist!!!
    THE FIELD GOAL