Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Gordo's take on Jackson - sounds good to me!

HEG: Re; the Rams-if I was the Rams front office & Jackson did not sign this week I would let him sit out this year; most players when they sign about time the season starts are inaffective for the year especially at skills positions;they need to take Ralph Kiner approach- Rams finished 3-13 with Jackson & could finish 3-13 w/o him; I will reiterate what I stated last week in that the Rams would be as good or better with Green at Q.B. Agree or disagree?
    Jeff Gordon: The calls for Trent Green have begun! I am a big Green fan and I think he could fill in nicely, but I'm certainly not ready to write off Bulger.

I would give Jackson a deadline this week. Resolve the contract, get back to work or else:

No contract extension this season.

No contract extension next season, either, since he is eligible for the franchise tag.

Either he gets his $17 million to $20 million signing bonus to bank this week or he gets no such bonus for at least two years.

That hard line could force the Rams to deal this guy in a year, but so be it. Either Jackson wants to play here or he doesn't.

STLtoday - Discussions - Gordo Live

Anyone else concur with this? Sounds good to me .. Can't help but wonder if Jackson wants out, or if he's just listening to the wrong people .. And yes Rhonda, that means YOU!!!
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-18-2008 at 03:30 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Gordo's take on Jackson - sounds good to me!

I could live with that. Jackson is hurting himself more than anyone else by sitting at home.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Call for Green already? interesting. I'll admit Bulger has sucked more intensively than a turbo charged Hoover vac, but i also noticed the WR's running in wrong directions and that Holt put in a non-appearance. Either Bulger is throwing to the wrong spot, or Bennett is reading his reads backwards and going the wrong way.

Boy, the holdout scenarios are really starting to look ugly aren't they? I remember a lot of posts talking about the 3rd preseason game as the "marker" for whether SJ will be too late to work into the game plan before reg. season starts. Looks like we're getting to about that time! Any Vegas odds?

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Personally I've been understanding of both parties, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm at the point now where I totally agree with Gordon. Even if he eventually comes in, it might not be in time to get into game shape before it's too late, since front half of the Rams schedule is the most difficult. His actions are very self centered. I'm not saying he has to think of the franchise first, because it is a business, but this holdout for a couple million more is (to me) greedy. Come in like everybody else and you'll get your money Mr. Jackson.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

That's a hard stance for the Rams to take with their most marketable player, but they likely have limited options in terms of forcing Jackson to end his hold out at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That's a hard stance for the Rams to take with their most marketable player, but they likely have limited options in terms of forcing Jackson to end his hold out at this point.
    In your opinion, will he still be as marketable if he continues this holdout? It seems that every day he's losing more support of fans. What if he keeps holding out into the regular season?

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

I totally agree. Come to camp now and accept the Rams fair offer (IMO), or don't play this year

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Kind of darned if you do, or darned if you don't .. Clearly another ultimatum will ratchet up the tension / bitterness factor, unless it is accompanied by a carrot .. privately of course. If Jackson wants to remain a Ram he'll come in soon ..

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    In your opinion, will he still be as marketable if he continues this holdout? It seems that every day he's losing more support of fans. What if he keeps holding out into the regular season?

How marketable was Henry Ellard after his holdout went 7 games into the regular season. While even I one of Jacksons biggest supporters thinks he is definately only hurting himself and the team, not sure it will hurt his marketability in the long run. For the good of the team and Jackson I just wish they would work this out NOW.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    How marketable was Henry Ellard after his holdout went 7 games into the regular season. While even I one of Jacksons biggest supporters thinks he is definately only hurting himself and the team, not sure it will hurt his marketability in the long run. For the good of the team and Jackson I just wish they would work this out NOW.
    I'm too young to remember Ellard's holdout, so someone will have to enlighten me as to his situation. I guess I'm thinking that if Jackson continues to have an attitude that alienates fans he won't have a marketability higher than several other players on the Rams. I hope they work it out soon, because it's going to be another long season if they don't..

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    He's not just marketable to a local fan base but to a national one as well. And if Jackson can help last year's 3-13 team find some success this season, I would imagine most fans will probably support him regardless of how tense the holdout situation was.

I think the only way he hurts his marketability is if he holds out into the regular season, but I honestly would be shocked if it went that far. He knows he has to show up and play to make his money; he's said as much. I would be really surprised if the holdout lasts into the regular season.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I don't know- the ability to throw the franchise tag on him next season seems like a pretty big option to me. Let him sit out until the 8th game, dock his pay accordingly, then make him play special teams when he comes back. Then throw the franchise tag on his for next season. Screw him and his sister.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-18-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: No hiding profanity

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I don't know- the ability to throw the franchise tag on him next season seems like a pretty big option to me. Let him sit out until the 8th game, dock his pay accordingly, then make him play special teams when he comes back. Then throw the franchise tag on his for next season. F*#k him and his sister.
    Moloch41-I'm not quite there with you yet, but I am getting closer everyday.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I'm kinda torn on the franchise thing. Seems to me the all the talk of the wonderful 'rebound' year we were gonna have, y'know 10-6, taking back the division, all that, hinged on SJ buying into Al's system and playing like the beast he can be. If the guy is gonna show up wanting to be somewhere else and playing half the time, demoralizing everyone else around him, well, I'll take Antonio Pittman and 6-10. It may take him awhile, but at least he seems to want it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think this is the argument i made ten days ago about whether jackson really wanted to play for the rams (or said another way, whether he cares if he is playing for the rams or anyone else that will pay him). I dont believe that jackson is hurting himself more than anyone else. I think he is hurting the team more than himself. Why? Because if he reports in another week or so he still gets his money eventually but the rams season may well be down the crapper, especially if the layoff increases the risk of injury to jackson because he is not in football shape.

I also dont necessarily believe that jackson is the teams most marketable player given his recent behavior. There is no evidence to suggest that the fans are on his side given the rams offer and his failure to report and the adverse impact on the team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast