Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Gosselin: Former Sooner Sam Bradford could be in for a rough rookie initiation

Gosselin: Former Sooner Sam Bradford could be in for a rough rookie initiation
    12:41 AM CDT on Thursday, August 26, 2010
    Column by RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News |

ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Rams expect Sam Bradford to achieve the heights of Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning.

The Rams wouldn't have selected the former Oklahoma Heisman Trophy winner with the first overall pick of the 2010 NFL draft and guaranteed him $50 million if they didn't harbor that expectation.

Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman and Manning also were the first overall selections of drafts and also were paid millions of dollars to perform magic with their right arms. But before Bradford can follow in their footsteps to the heights of his profession, he must trudge in their footsteps through the depths.

The exhilaration of being the first overall pick of a draft quickly gives way to the reality – and gravity – of the situation. A very bad football team has drafted you. And that first year is guaranteed to be a struggle.

There have been 17 quarterbacks selected first overall since the merger of the AFL and NFL drafts in 1967, and not one won more starts than he lost as a rookie.

Bradshaw was drafted by a 1-13 Pittsburgh team in 1970 He went 3-5 as a starter with six touchdowns and 24 interceptions. Elway was drafted by an 0-8-1 Baltimore team but refused to play for the Colts and eventually was traded to the Denver Broncos. He was benched twice in his rookie season, when he threw twice as many interceptions (14) as touchdowns (7)

Aikman was drafted by a 3-13 Dallas team and didn't win a game in his rookie season. He went 0-11 and also threw twice as many interceptions (18) as touchdowns (9). Manning was drafted by a 3-13 Indianapolis team and led the NFL with 28 interceptions as a rookie.

First overall picks Vinny Testaverde (1987), Carson Palmer (2003) and JaMarcus Russell (2007) joined Aikman with zero victories as a rookie. Matthew Stafford (2009) joined Bradshaw and Manning with a 20-interception debut season.

David Carr (2002) was sacked an NFL-record 76 times as a rookie, and Alex Smith (2005) threw 11 interceptions and fumbled 11 times in his seven rookie starts.

Manning lost 13 games as a rookie and Tim Couch (1999) and Carr 12 apiece. Eli Manning (2004) completed only 48.2 percent of his passes as a rookie, Elway 47.4 percent, Steve Bartkowski (1975) 45.1 percent and Michael Vick (2001) 44.2 percent.

So college greatness does not translate into overnight NFL success for quarterbacks selected first overall in drafts. Bradford has already conferred with Aikman and Manning about surviving that first season.

"They've told me it's a process," Bradford said. "They both told me you're going to take your fair share of bumps and bruises along the way, mentally and physically.

"But you just have to try to get better every week and understand that it is a process. You can't be overly hard on yourself. You need to expect to play well but then when you don't you can't let that stay with you. You have to bounce back the next week and have just as much confidence as you did the week before."

Bradford was drafted by a 1-15 St. Louis team that has a Pro Bowl runner in Steven Jackson. But the Rams essentially have two rookie offensive tackles in Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith, plus a tight end (Billy Bajema) with only 15 career catches. Bradford's top three wideouts in St. Louis have a combined 39 career starts and fewer than 200 receptions.

Aikman, Bradshaw and Manning all emerged as franchise quarterbacks when their teams were able to put better players around them. A tight end and lead wide receiver are on the future wish list of the Rams. The goal in 2010 is to get Bradford through his rookie season in one piece.

If the Rams can accomplish that, they love the future Bradford gives them.

"What's there not to like?" Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "Everyone knows he's a big, tall, strapping guy who has a real strong arm and can throw the ball and is very accurate. But I probably like his intangibles more than anything else.

"He's an intense competitor. No matter what he does – if you give him a pingpong paddle, a tennis racket or a golf club – he'll be good at it. He's one of those guys who just competes and is good at everything he does. He's a natural in a lot of things."

The Rams' greatest hope is that he's a natural winner. But don't expect that winning to start until at least 2011.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Gosselin: Former Sooner Sam Bradford could be in for a rough rookie initiation

There have been 17 quarterbacks selected first overall since the merger of the AFL and NFL drafts in 1967, and not one won more starts than he lost as a rookie.
    For the "Bradford has 3.7 seconds into his first game to throw a touchdown or I will call him a bust" crowd, please let the quoted statement sink in.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Gosselin: Former Sooner Sam Bradford could be in for a rough rookie initiation

I like Rick Gosselin but this article is about as insightful as someone telling me Erin Edwards is a hottie.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I like Rick Gosselin but this article is about as insightful as someone telling me Erin Edwards is a hottie.
    Do you mean Erin Andrews?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

See I get so excited about her I can't even spell her name right...lol

makersncoke is offline Registered User

See I get so excited about her I can't even spell her name right...lol
    Happens to the best of us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

You'd think most people would have your attitude here Tx, but as HUb pointed out, there are many who expect immediate success from Bradford for one reason or another, and odds are it's not going to happen. The article is a good reality check IMO.

As for Bradford, he probably is in for a tough rookie initiation, but what's important is how he handles it. From everything I've seen so far, he's going to develop just fine.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I would say Bradford did just fine in his initiation

marcus1111 is offline Registered User

'First overall picks Vinny Testaverde (1987), Carson Palmer (2003) and JaMarcus Russell (2007) joined Aikman with zero victories as a rookie. Matthew Stafford (2009) joined Bradshaw and Manning with a 20-interception debut season.'

this guy doesn't do his research... I believe that as a rookie carson palmer did not start a game and basically maybe played several plays ..this is a fact and received much criticism but the coaches wanted him to learn the system etc before he played many minutes... and they were correct... believe the next year he was one of the top qbs.

BonnieBengal is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by marcus1111 View Post
    'First overall picks Vinny Testaverde (1987), Carson Palmer (2003) and JaMarcus Russell (2007) joined Aikman with zero victories as a rookie. Matthew Stafford (2009) joined Bradshaw and Manning with a 20-interception debut season.'

this guy doesn't do his research... I believe that as a rookie carson palmer did not start a game and basically maybe played several plays ..this is a fact and received much criticism but the coaches wanted him to learn the system etc before he played many minutes... and they were correct... believe the next year he was one of the top qbs.
    Yeah it's only technically correct. As you say, Carson didn't start any games his rookie year. I'm not sure he even took a snap. So the whole premise of the article is kind of flawed. You can make statistics say pretty much anything you want if you don't tell the true story behind them.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by marcus1111 View Post
    this guy doesn't do his research... I believe that as a rookie carson palmer did not start a game
    And therefore had zero victories as a rookie, right?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And therefore had zero victories as a rookie, right?
    And also undefeated

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Despite the article, Sam did pretty good. NE kept in their starters ino the 4th quarter. When is the last time we see that good of an effort from a Rams QB against a first team of an opponent?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

berg8309 is offline Registered User

As it turns out, the Pats were in for a rough rookie initiation

rxb97 is offline Registered User

Never ever listen to a texan when they speak of a Sooner, their may be a underlyin agenda