Cool Grant Williams maintains role in place of Pace

Grant Williams maintains role in place of Pace
    By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/08/2004

MACOMB, Ill. - Like an understudy on Broadway, Grant Williams needs to know the lead role inside and out. And yet he has to be prepared to step aside when the star shows up.

In this case, the star is All-Pro tackle Orlando Pace. With Pace again skipping training camp because of a contract dispute, Williams is playing the same part he did last year: filling in on the left side until Pace shows up.

Williams, 6 feet 7 and 320 pounds, says he doesn't mind the job.

"You have to do what got you to the NFL, just work hard and do what they tell you to do and let the cards fall where they may," he said. "It'd be different if I had to give my spot up for someone who was not a quality player. But 'O' is one of the best tackles in the game, so he's got to be out there. Hopefully we'll get him in sooner rather than later so he can get some work and go from there."

Williams' plight isn't as bleak as it might seem. He can play both tackle spots, and with right tackle Kyle Turley fearful that the reoccurrence of pain in his surgically repaired back could signal a serious condition, Williams might wind up with a starting job after all.

That wouldn't bother coach Mike Martz.

"This is the best he's looked since he's been here, for sure," Martz said. "He doesn't make any errors; he's a very solid player. If he's going to play, I'd be very pleased with him. I can't tell you how fortunate we are to have him here."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Grant Williams maintains role in place of Pace

"This is the best he's looked since he's been here, for sure," Martz said. "He doesn't make any errors; he's a very solid player. If he's going to play, I'd be very pleased with him. I can't tell you how fortunate we are to have him here."
    Turley gets all the press, with the helmet throwing, the tattoos, the eyebrow raising comments, but take away all that, leave the talent and you've got Grant Williams. If Kyle can't (or won't) go this season, Grant will fill in just fine.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Agreed. I have a feeling Turley won't be back any time soon, but I'm not the least bit concerned with Grant Williams on the roster.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm actually more optimistic about having Williams than I am about signing Randall.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!