Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

Grant Williams Part 2- someone please respond!

I hope someone will respond to this post. Last week, i said basically the same thing and no one responded, probably lost in the euphoria of the great comeback win vs. the seahawks.

Bottom line, williams is getting killed one on one every week. Happened against new orleanes, seattle and again tonight. We really miss turley. I like williams and i think he is ok, but in our offense (remember the st clair debacle), with all the deep routes we run and all the receivers out in the pattern, it is a real problem when the right tackle is getting beat one on one consistently.

The easy answer is that we have to give him more help. I know that this disrupts some of the things we want to do offensively, but sacks aside, the hits bulger is taking are coming frequently from williams' guy.

Am i overreacting or does anyone else see the same thing i am seeing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Grant Williams Part 2- someone please respond!

Williams could have definitely used some help tonight. There were times when he was just getting beat around the corner and couldn't push his defender around. I think we really need to think about spending a day one pick this offseason on a young right tackle that we can develop.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

majorram is offline Registered User

No general I'm seeing the same thing, Greg spires was having his way tonight with Grant...Spires was JUST bull rushing Grant all night... Won't Turley be back next year??????or is that IT for the big man!!!

steve :ramlogo:

general counsel Guest

It is highly unlikely in my opinion that turley will ever be back. He has been on tv and looks like he weighs under 250. I really hope i am wrong, but just my gut feeling and consistent with what i have read.

great win.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I was seeing it last night also. Grant was getting beat and Bulger gave a look after one of his sacks that showed he was irritated about it. I hope the offensive line coach is looking for options to strengthen up that side of the line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

elAcky Guest

Is Tercero a better option when Dishman returns to LG?

(Funny: Tercero means third i.e. third option at RT)

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Am I the only one the thinks Williams is an OK option?

Man he got beat, so did Pace. Turley got beat consistently last year. Williams is not perfect, but neither is Turley or Timmerman or Terrcero or PACE.

For the situation Williams was put in, and the circumstances that he got his job and the things that happened to this team in this situation, what other option is there????

Williams is the furthest thing from our main problem. I guess I would prefer to look on the other side of the ball to look at problems.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Well, Pace got beat once - by Rice, a Pro Bowl DE, but otherwise was dominant.

Williams is definitely having problems. He's going to need more help.

general counsel Guest

Jason, i dont disagree with you that he is not the biggest problem on the team. However, i disagree with your conclusion that he is getting beat with any kind of comparable frequency as turley did last year. Pace got beat on one play all night and bulger stepped into it. Its not just the sacks that worry me, its the consistent nature of the hits that bulger is taking from williams' side, week after week. I am not saying at all that he is terrible. He is ok, an average right tackle and i am very very happy that we have him given turleys injury. But at this point, how much better is he than st clair, who we all villified and crucified. In our offense, the reason we paid $10 million up front for a right tackle was we felt that outstanding was very important given the nature of our offense. I think the interior line protection has been pretty good, but we need to give williams some help at least from time to time.

Gordos comment on fixing the blocking "scheme" makes no sense to me. Williams' problems are not scheme issues, he is just getting beat man on man, even against a three man rush, which just cant happen.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

adarian_too is offline Registered User

This is the St. Careless situation all over again. All during Careless's tenure, the faithful said he was a workable replacement, yada, yada, yada. He single-handedly changed the future of the QB position with his ineptitude. Williams is poised to do the same thing.

It's not sMartz fault Turley is hurt. But 6 games into the season is long enough to show that Williams needs to be replaced immediately. He has managed to make the right side the blind side. Take a look at his arms. They rival MB's for lack of muscle and definition. He's lucky to be able to curl a pint. Add to the lack of strength, his uncanny ability to look like he is moving his feet as though John Gotti fitted him with cement shoes, and the Rams can't afford to wait to the off-season to address RT again. They need to trade for some help now ... before MB gets blamed for his fumblelitis like KW was. Or before MB is asking KW what exercises he used to rehab broken fingers.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't think Grant Williams belongs in the NFL but with our current salary cap situation, and the fact we just can't go outside Rams Park and pick O lineman off a tree, we are stuck with what we have.

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Williams belongs in the NFL otherwise he wouldn't have made the Rams or Patriots squad. The fact is good NFL tackles are very hard to come by...the drop of talent from players like Pace and Ogden to guys like Williams is pretty steep. It's the same thing with shutdown corners, they are few and far between...Martz needs to game plan around Williams lack of ability..which I thought he did a better job of in the 2nd half last night...using screens, counters and draws...

general counsel Guest

I think the point here is that at this point of the season, there really is no viable replacement option. Thus, the answer has to be some game planning as the previous post suggested, to get williams some help.

My solution, line up faulk more often on the passing situations, make him available to help block, and let him be open as a check off option to bulger. I think we do some of this anyway, but i would like to see if more often.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tanus is offline Registered User

Given the fact that he isnt a starting calibur RT, I think he has done a decent job so far this year. However, it could cost us a game as one of his sacks did lead to a Bulger fumble in our own territory.

All in all though, its tough to get mad at a guy who is supposed to be a backup and is playing one of the toughest positions in football as a full-time starter.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Williams is an NFL caliber starting RT - but not in the Rams' offense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast