Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Grant Williams Part 2- someone please respond!

Hey G.C. I feel your pain!! Or should I say I feel some of MB's pain this morning. Anyway one possible option might be to move Tercero to RT and reinstall Dishman back at left guard. I saw Dishman in the game on Faulk's goal-line TD. At this point there is not much else we can do-unless Martz revamps some of the plays to help our current liability. Williams is personally going to allow both Charles Grant and Spires to receive ProBowl bids this year.

WHAT SAY YE?

Mr.Blond Guest

Let's NOT mention StClair's name anymore :barf: Great Win Last night :ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Williams is a good RT. He's not one of the leagues greatest, but he isn't supposed to be. He was a back-up T for us and now has been thrust into the starting lineup. He is slow and weak, but his technique is good and he understands the game. He will get us through this season and maybe we look at other options in the off-season.

As far as Williams making Spires and Grant look good,...they are doing that on their own. Spires is tied for 4th in tackles among NFC lineman and Grant is 2nd as well as 1st in sacks.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Blond
    Let's NOT mention StClair's name anymore :barf: Great Win Last night :ramlogo:
    Dude, I thought you got abducted by aliens or something.....what's up?

:tongue:

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Thank you Huey!!!

Looks like are alone on this though.

To mention St. Clair and Williams in the same breath is disgusting. Williams has been alone most of the time blocking teams left defensive end (pass rusher) and has used little help. St. Claire needed help on every play. Give the guy a break. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Williams is a good RT. He's not one of the leagues greatest, but he isn't supposed to be. He was a back-up T for us and now has been thrust into the starting lineup. He is slow and weak, but his technique is good and he understands the game. He will get us through this season and maybe we look at other options in the off-season.

As far as Williams making Spires and Grant look good,...they are doing that on their own. Spires is tied for 4th in tackles among NFC lineman and Grant is 2nd as well as 1st in sacks.

general counsel Guest

Interesting and professional discussion on which reasonable people can differ jason. This is the kind of dialogue on the board that makes it so much fun. We all are knowledgeable rams fans, and yet we at times have very different perspectives. I dont think we are really as far apart as it may appear, its really a question of perspective. For a #3 tackle, i think williams is great. As a starter, he is ok. Like you, i am a lot more concerned about our pass rush, or lack thereof as the case may be, which i view as our #1 issue.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I guess I feel I am coming from a different perspective. Williams was put into a role that neither he nor the team thought they would have to face. No one ever thought he would have to go on a 16+ game start. I am not sure what or if there are any other options with the guy. It's not like the mistake we made with St. Claire.

I really do think that given a year under this guys belt we might have something. He has been a raw talent for a few years and never really given a chance. He has that now, I just hope we can build him up, because as said as it is, he might be playing there for more than just this year.

Your right GC, it is ok to disagree and I love that. That is what this is all about. This thread has had nothing but intellegent comments and totally different views points. I know that is why I come here :-)

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Seeing Williams go up against Julius Peppers worries me.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Williams was put into a role that neither he nor the team thought they would have to face. No one ever thought he would have to go on a 16+ game start.
    Really? I'm not sure painting this in the color of surprise is really proper.

I don't think you put an offensive linemen on the roster unless you're at least comfortable with the idea of him seeing playing time. I think it would be irresponsible of the Rams to have a back-up tackle and not think the guy might be starting for you at some point in time.

They might not have thought they would have to face it this season, but I'm sure when evaluating Williams, they saw enough in him to feel as if he would be capable if they did face that situation, and they look at that each and every year.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tanus is offline Registered User

another angle to look at is that he knows the system and he comes at a cheap price. that being said, even if there was a FA right now that might have a little bit more raw ability, how long would it take him to be comfortable in the system?

we all just have to accept the fact that any #3 OT on a team is going to get beat. its as simple as that really. its up to the martz to call plays that will help take pressure off of Grant. for example, screens, draws, roll-outs, establishing the running game, etc. so teams just cant come full force at pass rushing and not have to worry about the run.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Good points, Tanus.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12