Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Great Article: What are the 2010 Rams?

by Cliff Saunders

I have been covering the NFL since 1990. I have dealt with dozens of head coaches in the last twenty years. Some of them had long and successful runs in the league (like Bill Parcells). A lot of them didnít (like Richie Kotite). But the one thing they all said was ďYou are what your record says you are.Ē So, letís take a look at the 3-3 St. Louis Rams, shall we.

What exactly do we have with this team?

There are some who believe that the Rams are a contender. There are some who still donít think much of this club. The truth of the matter is this team is probably somewhere right in the middle of the two extremes. They are what their record is Ė 3-3 is respectable. Compared to last year, though, this feels like a Super Bowl season.

I donít think Iím out of line when I say that the team that went 1-15 last year was a disaster. You might find some people over at Rams Park that would try to put some kind of spin on it, but thereís no dressing up what last year was. It was ugly. Thereís nothing you can do to make it look better. You just have to acknowledge what happened and move on. Thatís exactly what the Rams have done.

Before the season started I said that 2010 was about getting back to respectability. The season might only be six games old, but I believe the Rams have gotten to the point where they are no longer pushovers.

Teams can no longer take a look at their schedule, see the Rams, and think to themselves that itís going to be a walk in the park. That ship has sailed.

The Rams have been in five of the six games they have played this season (at this point I think you have to look at the Lions loss as a fluke more than anything else). They gave the defending NFC Champion Arizona Cardinals everything they could handle. They were in the Raiders game. They beat Seattle, Washington, and San Diego. What happened in Detroit doesnít look like anything more than a blip on the radar screen.

The first step on the road back to respectability was adding a franchise quarterback (Sam Bradford) to an offense that already had Steven Jackson. What people didnít talk about as far as Bradford was concerned before the draft were his intangibles. People underestimated his ability to lead. People made the mistake of not looking at his record at Oklahoma (the kid has always been a winner). His intangibles are a big reason why he has made the transition from the college game to the pro game so smoothly.

The next step was winning the kinds of games they lost last year. Sure, there were plenty of blowout losses in 2009, but there were also plenty of close calls. There were games that some considered moral victories but that counted as real losses.

Those emotionally draining losses havenít been as prevalent this season. Sure, there were the losses to the Cardinals and Raiders to start the season. But you havenít seen them since, have you?

One reason for that is that Steve Spagnuoloís club is maturing. Another reason is that they have stopped doing some of the self destructive things weíd seen them do earlier in the season.

If you donít believe me, let me ask you this. When was the last time we talked about the Rams committing stupid penalties? You know the kind of penalties Iím talking about, right? (If you donít I have two words for you Ė Richie Incognito.) The answer is we havenít talked about penalties being a factor since Week Two. And thatís yet another step on the road to respectability.

The Rams have taken another step forward by turning the Edward Jones Dome into a place visiting teams donít want to come to. They have won their last three in front of the home fans. The Ed is noticeably louder than it was a year ago. It Ďs not quite there yet, but you could see why the Ed was such a tough place to play in the Greatest Show on Turf days.

I realize there are ten games left in the 2010 season. I realize that a lot can change between now and then. But based on what I have seen (and I have been there since the start of training camp) I can tell you that the Rams have taken a big step up from where they were a year ago.

Iím not saying they are contenders. They are in the NFC West hunt only because the competition is weaker than I expected it to be. Iím not going to get too caught up in the talk about winning the division. I still donít think itís warrantedÖnot yet anyway. It may be where they wind up, and Iíll be happier than a pig in slop if that happens. But Iím not going to expect them to do it. And I donít think anyone else in Rams Nation should put those expectations on this team. Not yet, anyway.

The Rams have started their way back from the abyss. I donít know if that road takes them all the way to the top of the mountain. That has yet to be determined. But I do know what they are right now. They will give you everything they have every Sunday. They arenít going to win every game, but they are going to win more games than they are supposed to. Theyíll win some games they arenít supposed to win (like the Chargers game). They are a respectable team. Theyíre not a great team, but they arenít a bad team either.

In other words, they are exactly what their record says they are.

Hey clan new to the site, found this article and though it was a good one and thought you'd guys like to read it. Hope I posted in right place.
    And I think I'd have to agree with Cliff's assessment at this point of the season.. what do you think?

MACD is offline Registered User

Re: Great Article: What are the 2010 Rams?

So far, we are 300% better than last year....I'll take it!!!!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

we are easily a 5-1 team that resembles a 3-3 team? (according to me in what mounted up to very close games where we could have won) i don't get it. I think we are better than our record says, but than again I'm a fan. I don't think this is a great article, great would be polishing us up to be a contender.

I am going to go beyond reason and believe we are a contender whether or not anybody agrees, and if you know me even in those 2-14 seasons whatever I was blind with fanaticism foaming in the mouth ravaging with playoff desire.

That Lion game to me was just a bad experience for a young team. If it were not for THAT game I think we would all be singing a different tune. So I am going to continue with my ignorance and follow this season with great anticipation, the kind that says mine is the best, even though everybody else would disagree. I AM A FAN!

GO RAMS!!!

here I go Zorro once again!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The fly in the ointment for me was that LIONS game. What happened? How could we fall so low and jump right back up the next week?

Very puzzling and concerning.

Makes me a bit defensive as in when is it going to happen again?

GO RAMS!!!!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    we are easily a 5-1 team that resembles a 3-3 team? (according to me in what mounted up to very close games where we could have won) i don't get it. I think we are better than our record says, but than again I'm a fan. I don't think this is a great article, great would be polishing us up to be a contender.

I am going to go beyond reason and believe we are a contender whether or not anybody agrees, and if you know me even in those 2-14 seasons whatever I was blind with fanaticism foaming in the mouth ravaging with playoff desire.

That Lion game to me was just a bad experience for a young team. If it were not for THAT game I think we would all be singing a different tune. So I am going to continue with my ignorance and follow this season with great anticipation, the kind that says mine is the best, even though everybody else would disagree. I AM A FAN!

GO RAMS!!!

here I go Zorro once again!
    Ok...PUT THE KOOL-AID DOWN!!! We are a 3-3 team. While we definately played better in every game, except one, we made key mistakes that cost us the close games. THAT'S what makes us a 3-3 team. Are we better than the last few seasons? Absolutely. However, we are a rebuilding team. I am thrilled with our progress. If we finished the season 8-8, I would be ecstatic. So, We are what our record says, a 3-3 team. A 5-1 team either has the talent to overcome some of the mistakes we've made, or doesn't make them in the first place. Enjoy the season, enjoy the progress. Don't drive yourself crazy with would've, could've, should've.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

3STL9 is offline Registered User

At the end of the Lions game, I kind of felt like it was a fluke game. I knew we would be back the next week. I feel like that onside kick combined with 105 yard kickoff return with Claytons Injury just accumulated on this young team. When I was watching that game and the score got to 17-6 I felt like the game was over and I was right. And I am never to write off a game when the score is 17-6 barely into the Second Q. I think that game meter was tilting a lot towards fluke. And you have to remember, the Lions wanted that win bad after their first four losses. So ofcourse once they got up 17-6, it was going to be all-momentum their way. And ofcourse we had pretty much 0 momentum our way, negative momentum if any.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

We'll know a lot more about who we are after this weekend. TB is very similar to us right now. One team is going to take a giant step back this weekend. Either they lose at home to a team that went 1-15 last year or we lose and adopt the stigma that we can't win on the road, as we're winless against Oak, Det, and TB...not exactly murderer's row.

I really think this game is much bigger than most people are thinking.

rNemesis is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    We'll know a lot more about who we are after this weekend. TB is very similar to us right now. One team is going to take a giant step back this weekend. Either they lose at home to a team that went 1-15 last year or we lose and adopt the stigma that we can't win on the road, as we're winless against Oak, Det, and TB...not exactly murderer's row.

The only reason everyone feels that way is because this game will determine our ability to at least win a game on the road this season, although we will not be satisfied with ANY number of wins right now. HOwever, I think EVERY game is important from here on end and also every game from here on end we will figure out who we are. The reason for that is because we have lost so much games in the past three years, and went 1-15 last season. So in order for us to keep the faith and to restore lost confidence, we simply have no choice but to keep winning. YES, it is THAT BAD. We cannot afford to lose again until we have won at least a number of games including this one coming up, and I say that because obviously we are going to lose a couple of more games.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Ok...PUT THE KOOL-AID DOWN!!! We are a 3-3 team. While we definately played better in every game, except one, we made key mistakes that cost us the close games. THAT'S what makes us a 3-3 team. Are we better than the last few seasons? Absolutely. However, we are a rebuilding team. I am thrilled with our progress. If we finished the season 8-8, I would be ecstatic. So, We are what our record says, a 3-3 team. A 5-1 team either has the talent to overcome some of the mistakes we've made, or doesn't make them in the first place. Enjoy the season, enjoy the progress. Don't drive yourself crazy with would've, could've, should've.
    I couldn't have said that better myself! Deserves positive feedback! I think we as fans get a huge buzz about us because we win a couple in a row and all of a sudden we are headng straight to a NFC West title without keeping in mind we are in the rebuilding stage (1-15), our talent pool is at a minimium, and we have inexperience about us. I agree 100% we could of and should of won those first two losses but we lost them and that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post

And I agree with this totally, just like they were saying on 101ESPN this is going to be a huge game for us as far as playing on the road goes, carrying on the momentum, and transitioning from a 1-15 team or a 3-13 team from a year ago. This is like the turn before the final two straightaway's to determine how the second part of the season is played.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

We are a team that lost to the raiders & lions, and won against the chargers & redskins. I think we play better with an underdog tag. we play better with a chip on our shoulder & with something to prove. To me that speaks volumes about what the players & coaches believe about what they are capable of, what they should be doing which is winning football games ... a winning mentality is gold in my eyes .. i love the RAMS

i picked them to be 3-3 at this point, but i picked them to beat cardinals, raiders & lions lol.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I really really need to get some money put aside and begin convincing my wife why I need to go on a trip to St. Louis.

I want to be there screaming for the Rams with the rest of you........

Any of you have any inputs for raising the wife acceptance factor for me travelling to the US to see the Rams play?

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clarasDK View Post
    I really really need to get some money put aside and begin convincing my wife why I need to go on a trip to St. Louis.

I want to be there screaming for the Rams with the rest of you........

Any of you have any inputs for raising the wife acceptance factor for me travelling to the US to see the Rams play?
    Tell her they are having a 90% sale on clothing apparel .... just dont mention its only for bulger jerseys.

**sighs** i only have a tinoisamoa jersey ... need another samoan to play for the rams.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I like the optimism, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. The Rams have only played six games so far this season, there's still ten more to go. It's not fair to judge a player after six games, so why is suddenly fair to judge a team after six games? I don't care how bad the record was the past few years, you can't use that as a crutch in your judgement. The team will be evaluated when the season is over when the story is done, it's the only right thing to do. With that said, Go Rams!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Ok...PUT THE KOOL-AID DOWN!!!
    NO! it's MY kool-aid and I like it!

Great Article: What are the 2010 Rams?-kool-aid-man.jpg

championship!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

After the horror show over the past several seasons, fans are understandably giddy over the 3-3 start. When you start 0-4, 0-5 and 0-8 in successive years, 3-3 may as well be a Super Bowl year. Fans are hungry for wins, and thus far the Rams have given them hope with a promising start. Just as importantly, they've been competitive in two of their losses and are coming off a win vs. a quality (albeit underachieving) opponent. There is reason for excitement, and this team appears to be a driven club with a lot of heart and future promise.

It is easy to allow our excitement to get the best of us given where we've been and the apparent mediocrity of our division. As usual, proper perspective must be taken. Our schedule is weak. We still have some glaring deficiencies as a team. Consistency is an issue: Are we the 7 sack team that showed up vs. San Diego, or are we the team that at times looks like we have a non-existant pass rush? Depth is a concern in several key spots.

Challenges still lie ahead. Beating someone on the road. Getting the record above .500 for the first time since 2006. Building on success instead of reverting to old form. Staying healthy. More divisional wins. Steady improvement. Grooming the young guys. Better in game decisions by the coaches.

I am thrilled we are 3-3. But Tampa and Carolina- two winnable opponents are winnable games and must not be taken lightly; doing so would set us back and bring forth many of the old feelings of negativity. Talk of a division title is getting way ahead of ourselves and is best left for later in the season at a time when/if we're in a position to take it.

One day at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast