general counsel is offline Registered User

Great News, we are officially a mediocre, middle of the pack NFL team

Over the first six games of the Bradford era, the rams have clearly established themselves as a solidly mediocre NFL team that is obviously on the way up. This is a HUGE step considering that we won a total of 3 games in the prior two years.

By beating San Diego, we have shown that we can beat a playoff caliber team. Our performance in the first half yesterday was nfc championship caliber football. You can't play much better on defense and offense than we played in the first half yesterday, albeit with a couple of breaks (ie a couple of drops by the SD defense that could have been INT's and a HUGE drop by Gates on a perfect third and long throw by Rivers over the middle). For the game, we had seven sacks and no turnovers, in addition to a blocked field goal and a terrific interception in the end zone. With the game on the line, we imposed our will on the chargers and the Big Boy ran the ball down their throats to run out the clock, despite the obvious nature of the play calling. We have improved a great deal in a short time despite crippling injuries at a key offensive position (WR) where we were already lacking a #1 before anyone got hurt. As with almost every team at any level of football, dramatically improved line play on both sides of the ball has been a critical consideration in our ascension.

It should be apparant to the entire NFL that the Rams are a very competitive home team. We are going to beat more good teams at home as the year moves on and the fans enthusiasm can only help the Rams feed off their effort yesterday.

The next test for improvement is consistency and the ability to win on the road. If we can play a full game like we played the first half yesterday, the sky is the limit. We have lost two games that we could have easily won, and frankly, we almost let a win slip away yesterday with wildly conservative play calling in the second half (like we were playing not to lose, rather than trying to win). As well as we played defensively, allowing an 80 yard drive in 40 seconds at a key point in the fourth quarter is something that we can improve on quite a bit. I am sure no one wanted to see Rivers get the ball back with three time outs left only needing a field goal. The Rams have shown dominance in flashes this year, we need to learn to finish teams off and to play more consistently. Playing well on the road is a tough task for all NFL teams, we will see if the Rams can answer the call this weekend in what has to be considered a "winnable" road game at Tampa Bay. If we can respond vs Tampa and beat Carolina (which we should do), we are 5-3 heading into the bye week, a result that i doubt anyone could have projected.

In short, we have come an awfully long way in a short time and if we want to take the next step this season (rather than in the future), we are going to have to win on the road. For now, the Rams fall solidly into the category of "any given sunday." We can beat anyone if we bring our A game, especially if teams look past us and are not ready to play.

By the way, the non call on the hit to Bradford's head was the most ridiculous miss by a ref i have seen in probaby 30 years. The call was out in the open, directly in front of the official and the tackler obviously led with his head and made contact in the head. Makeup call notwithstanding, Helen Keller could have seen the hit to the head.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

BEER is offline Registered User

Re: Great News, we are officially a mediocre, middle of the pack NFL team

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Over the first six games of the Bradford era, the rams have clearly established themselves as a solidly mediocre NFL team that is obviously on the way up. This is a HUGE step considering that we won a total of 3 games in the prior two years.

By beating San Diego, we have shown that we can beat a playoff caliber team. Our performance in the first half yesterday was nfc championship caliber football. You can't play much better on defense and offense than we played in the first half yesterday, albeit with a couple of breaks (ie a couple of drops by the SD defense that could have been INT's and a HUGE drop by Gates on a perfect third and long throw by Rivers over the middle). For the game, we had seven sacks and no turnovers, in addition to a blocked field goal and a terrific interception in the end zone. With the game on the line, we imposed our will on the chargers and the Big Boy ran the ball down their throats to run out the clock, despite the obvious nature of the play calling. We have improved a great deal in a short time despite crippling injuries at a key offensive position (WR) where we were already lacking a #1 before anyone got hurt. As with almost every team at any level of football, dramatically improved line play on both sides of the ball has been a critical consideration in our ascension.

It should be apparant to the entire NFL that the Rams are a very competitive home team. We are going to beat more good teams at home as the year moves on and the fans enthusiasm can only help the Rams feed off their effort yesterday.

The next test for improvement is consistency and the ability to win on the road. If we can play a full game like we played the first half yesterday, the sky is the limit. We have lost two games that we could have easily won, and frankly, we almost let a win slip away yesterday with wildly conservative play calling in the second half (like we were playing not to lose, rather than trying to win). As well as we played defensively, allowing an 80 yard drive in 40 seconds at a key point in the fourth quarter is something that we can improve on quite a bit. I am sure no one wanted to see Rivers get the ball back with three time outs left only needing a field goal. The Rams have shown dominance in flashes this year, we need to learn to finish teams off and to play more consistently. Playing well on the road is a tough task for all NFL teams, we will see if the Rams can answer the call this weekend in what has to be considered a "winnable" road game at Tampa Bay. If we can respond vs Tampa and beat Carolina (which we should do), we are 5-3 heading into the bye week, a result that i doubt anyone could have projected.

In short, we have come an awfully long way in a short time and if we want to take the next step this season (rather than in the future), we are going to have to win on the road. For now, the Rams fall solidly into the category of "any given sunday." We can beat anyone if we bring our A game, especially if teams look past us and are not ready to play.

By the way, the non call on the hit to Bradford's head was the most ridiculous miss by a ref i have seen in probaby 30 years. The call was out in the open, directly in front of the official and the tackler obviously led with his head and made contact in the head. Makeup call notwithstanding, Helen Keller could have seen the hit to the head.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Never strive to be mediocre. If we can win some road games we can win this division. Spags needs to elevate his message to his coaches and players that we need to win on the road as much as we do at home. I believe he can do that. Go Rams..

eldfan is offline Registered User

Iíll take mediocre right now this team is hard working in moving in the right direction. I have no ideal what the team will be at season end but I would not bet against these Rams. This is as happy as I been in along time about the Rams and I am loving it.

Go Rams!!!!
    :ramlogo:

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I think mediocre is nice right now. Lets face it, every single NFC team has at least 2 losses. There is a 5 way tie for the top of the conference at 4-2. The majority of teams are "mediocre" right now. We're only 1 game out of top in the division at 3-3.

The next step is to get to the top. With no teams showing to be invincible right now, it's entirely possible to make a playoff run.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Is it me or does mediocre seem like the wrong word?

To me when I here the word mediocre it means just enough to get buy. No real effort just good enough?

Go Rams....

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post

To me when I here the word mediocre it means just enough to get buy. No real effort just good enough?

Go Rams....
    We could use the word the NFL hierarchy is striving for.... Parity??
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Let's not get hung up on the word "mediocre". The point here is that for the first time in several years, the buzz about our team doesn't concern whether or not it is actually the worst in the league. We're no longer the team that averages 10 points a game while giving up 27. We'll win some, we'll lose some...but we'll compete.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

After the last few years, mediocre sounds pretty damn good to me.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post

Go Rams....
    In most cases, I would agree with you. As applied in this the case of the woebegone Rams of the past three years, this is a sight for sore eyes! 6-42 last three years, 3-29 for the past two years and 3-3 this year.

I take mediocre with an eye on the greatness meter around the corner. I know longer see or dread the so called pundits ranking of the NFL with the Rams coming up last in almost every case and every week.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I remember before the season started, whoever said we would be a contender would have been laughed at. I guess we have really shown a ton of improvement on every side of the ball and are ready to change some things.