Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Great QBs make everyone better

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Great QBs make everyone better

It is the part of the QB's role to put the ball in play. hit in stride, read the blitz and defense covers and make whatever changes are necessary at the line. Good QB's are the de facto leader of their team. When they are under pressure.....and every QB in this league is under pressure from time to time no matter how good their line is, they make something magical happen. Not all of the time but enough times to whereby it can mean the difference between winning and losing. In my world, THAT is how I measure a QB's efficiency. Simply by won and loss record.

My personal take on Sam is as the TOP pick of the draft in 2010, he has not lived up to MY expectations.....Yet. And there are plenty of reasons why he has not been able to that have been spelled out time and again on this board. I get that.

I realize this may be construed as unfair to others on this board...... but IMO, when you get drafted that high and make the type of money he makes, it puts him in another category.

I like him, I want him to do well but I am a fan of the Rams. If he can help make the Rams a winner by his play and leadership then I will be satisfied.

One game into this year and he looked pretty good. And the Rams are 1-0. But I chose to save my platitudes until I see the Rams turn into a winning tradition once again with Sam at the helm.....leading them to that NFL promised land. At the very least, a winning record this year and we are (hopefully) on our way. Sam now appears to have all of the tools necessary for him to succeed. I look forward to witnessing that offensive progression.
    Rambos and renrawtruk like this.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Which came first ? Chicken or the egg ?
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Brady may now lack the elite weapons he's had the past couple of years, and maybe he doesn't put up the insane statistics fans are used to seeing, but since he's put up very good, efficient numbers in the past without elite weapons around him, I'm not sure how valuable examining his circumstances really is at this point. He's shown he doesn't need elite talent to be a championship-caliber QB.

To me, this seems like a silly argument that is trying to pit two sides that really don't represent a significant part of the fan base against each other. I'd like to think that most agree that, while quality quarterback play isn't going to turn pedestrian players into perennial All Pros, it can make everyone else's job easier and make average players look better than they are.

If you're a decent-at-best receiver, you'll be far more effective playing with a QB with excellent ball placement than one whose passes you may have to make an acrobatic play for. Additionally, if you're a decent-at-best OL, you'll be far more effective playing with a QB who can get through reads and deliver the ball quickly, thus reducing the amount of time you have to hold your blocks.

This isn't the QB making everyone better per say, but rather, it's the QB eliminating the need to ask average players to be more than what they are.
    ramsbruce, laram0 and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Well whadya know? He's not doing good right now nor was he last week. Shocking. No receivers in Dola or Gronk. He does crappy.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Pats receivers dropped so many passes tonight...

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Pats receivers dropped so many passes tonight...
    So did the Jets too. More video reviews in one half than I can ever remember. That was one lousy football game last night.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I don't think anyone on this thread is suggesting a great QB will make a mediocre receiver a Hall-of-Famer. But a great leader- be it a QB or a player in any other team sport can absolutely elevate the level of play of those around them- any lifelong athlete will tell you as such. It is not unreasonable, nor is it out of the realm of possibility that a great QB can take a guy who is merely serviceable and turn him into a good player.

Since the subject of Tom Brady was brought up, it is fair to point out that while he has the benefit of organizational stability over the years and a great coach (much as we may hate him), he has NEVER had a slew of true receivers the caliber of Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt for an extended period of time, Wes Welker notwithstanding. A guy like Julian Edelman is a pedestrian wide receiver made better by the presence of a Tom Brady. Troy Brown became a serviceable two way player and was helped by Tom Brady. We could go on and on.

With all of that said, and as I've stated repeatedly before, Sam Bradford's performance will improve as we upgrade the talent around him. I'm glad he's our QB and I feel he is a winning player. Whether or not he becomes a guy who is mentioned with the game's current top tier QBs is still very much in question.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -09-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Rambos is online now Registered User

This game looked like a lot games where Amendola would be lost from the line up and Bradford would have to go it alone.

As great as Brady is he can't catch the ball for his guys and he can't run the right routes for his guys.

Even this year I saw Givens fail to run the right route and Bradford hit him in the back with the ball. We just saw Cook lose a ball as he was going into the end zone for a TD.

All QBs can only do so much to make plays and play at the highest of levels expected by most fans IMO.

The next time Bradford is struggling with his young teammates think twice before you say he is out of excuses and give them time all to develop.

Tom Brady: No one is coming to save the day

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on September 13, 2013, 2:11 AM EDT

The New England Patriots offense looked anything but the well-oiled machine we’ve become accustomed to with Tom Brady under center in Thursday night’s victory over the New York Jets.

Brady posted a completion percentage of less than 50-percent (19 of 39) for the first time since a 16-9 loss to the Jets on Sept. 20, 2009. The Patriots receiving corps struggled with drops and Brady blew a gasket after a miscommunication forced the Patriots to settle for a field goal in the Jets’ redzone late in the first half.

The Patriots have scored just 36 points through their first two games after averaging nearly 35 points per game last season.

“We have a long way to go,” Brady said. “No one is coming to rescue and save the day so we’ve just got to fight through it. We’ve got to work harder and do better and try to be more consistent. Hopefully we can score more points.”

Brady was shown visibly frustrated during the game broadcast after a pass fell incomplete on 3rd and 5 at the Jets’ 12-yard line. He appeared to be expecting Edelman to sit down in a zone when he continued across the middle of the field. Brady was screaming on the sideline after coming off the field expressing anger over the miscommunication.

Brady said he needs to do a better job keeping his emotions in check.

“I have to do a better job with my body language,” Brady said. “I definitely can improve that. I wouldn’t say it’s a real strong point of mine right now so we’ll just try to keep doing better. That’s what we’ve got to do.”

Despite the Patriots’ problems, they’re still 2-0 and have 10 days before their next game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to get things cleaned up.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-13-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Double post sorry...
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-13-2013 at 10:49 AM.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Bradford is improving every year. Definitely gets a B+ for week 1 performance.

But he seems to be heading the Alex Smith path, since he did not come out with a flash in the NFL, and at the end of the day, is probably closer to "serviceable veteran" than "elite QB". Hopefully he has a higher ceiling than Smith, but I see too many young stud QB's in this league making ridiculous throws that I have never seen Bradford make. It's possible the play calling is very 1 dimensional and is preventing us from seeing more, but by now, it's kind of wysiwyg.

I actually think our play calling is partly still inhibited because of Bradford. If he could do more, I'm guessing we'd be doing more. So instead of a spread offense with multiple options, we go with more plays that designed to get one guy open quickly on a short throw, and if not open - checkdown. (and the occasional bomb to givens). Same as last year, but with Cook as TE. Not sold on Shottenheimer at all. Very dissapointed 1 game in with play calling. I'll give it a couple more games to see if there is a whole new offense, but at the moment, looks very familiar...wysiwyg.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User
    19 for 39... 13 to edelman. Looks like a Bradford to Amendola game

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Brady killed it wooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would take those stats as long as the teams get a W...
    r8rh8rmike and macrammer like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

A great QB, no matter how great, can only do so much to make those around him better. As shown last night, there was nothing Brady could do about dropped passes, or bad route running. Now he has an idea of what Bradford had to go through the last few years, with the exception of protection, which is always above average for Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life
    Brady killed it wooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would take those stats as long as the teams get a W...
    Agreed.
    Rambos likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    This game look like a lot games where Amendola would be lost from the line up and Bradford would have to go it alone.

As great as Brady is he can't catch the ball for his guys and he can't run the right routes for his guys.

Even this year I saw Givens fail to run the right route and Bradford hit him in the back with the ball. We just saw Cook lose a ball as he was going into the end zone for a TD.

All QBs can only do so much to make plays and play at the highest of levels expected by most fans IMO.

The next time Bradford is struggling with his young teammates think twice before you say he is out of excuses and give them time all to develop.

Tom Brady: No one is coming to save the day

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on September 13, 2013, 2:11 AM EDT

The New England Patriots offense looked anything but the well-oiled machine we’ve become accustomed to with Tom Brady under center in Thursday night’s victory over the New York Jets.

Brady posted a completion percentage of less than 50-percent (19 of 39) for the first time since a 16-9 loss to the Jets on Sept. 20, 2009. The Patriots receiving corps struggled with drops and Brady blew a gasket after a miscommunication forced the Patriots to settle for a field goal in the Jets’ redzone late in the first half.

The Patriots have scored just 36 points through their first two games after averaging nearly 35 points per game last season.

“We have a long way to go,” Brady said. “No one is coming to rescue and save the day so we’ve just got to fight through it. We’ve got to work harder and do better and try to be more consistent. Hopefully we can score more points.”

Brady was shown visibly frustrated during the game broadcast after a pass fell incomplete on 3rd and 5 at the Jets’ 12-yard line. He appeared to be expecting Edelman to sit down in a zone when he continued across the middle of the field. Brady was screaming on the sideline after coming off the field expressing anger over the miscommunication.

Brady said he needs to do a better job keeping his emotions in check.

“I have to do a better job with my body language,” Brady said. “I definitely can improve that. I wouldn’t say it’s a real strong point of mine right now so we’ll just try to keep doing better. That’s what we’ve got to do.”

Despite the Patriots’ problems, they’re still 2-0 (gap: thanks to their best players, the officials) and have 10 days before their next game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to get things cleaned up.
    I guess Bardy had his head in his hands when the officials TWICE ruled completed passes as incomplete, to help the Pats get by the Jets.

gap
    Rambos likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'd have to agree that Brady looked pedestrian last night. He became frustrated with his young receivers who couldn't get open, make the catch, or get to the right spot, and stopped throwing to them. That's exactly what Bradford has done in the past, and goes to show that bad WRs can make a QB do things he doesn't want to do, like only throw to one person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast