throwback week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Great QBs make everyone better

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Great QBs make everyone better

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    A guy like Julian Edelman is a pedestrian wide receiver made better by the presence of a Tom Brady.
    Pedestrian is probably overselling him. This is a guy that NO ONE wanted as a vet free agent last spring and resigned in New England to a one-year, minimum salary. And yet through two games, he has 20 receptions and two touchdowns, and would have had a 47-yard touchdown pass had Brady not overthrown him.

People will point to this game as an example of how an elite QB can struggle without weapons, and I completely agree that a quarterback can only do so much on his own. But let's see if those same people will acknowledge that the play of an also-ran like Edelman is elevated because of who is throwing to him.

I know Brady has had guys like Gronkowski, Welker, and Moss to throw to over the more recent years, but it's as if people forget he was winning championships and putting up very efficient stats with David Givens, David Patten, Troy Brown, and Deion Branch earlier in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The next time Bradford is struggling with his young teammates think twice before you say he is out of excuses and give them time all to develop.
    Yes, if rookies or young teammates are not doing their job and it's causing Bradford to struggle, then obviously that needs to be factored into the equation. I think most honest discussions on this board have acknowledged that Bradford has not been surrounded with great tools, and that has limited his ability to succeed.

But Sam now has two Pro Bowl caliber offensive lineman (LT, C), two capable starting linemen (RG, RT), and a former first round pick starting at left guard. He's playing with a group of receivers made up of a first rounder (Austin), second rounder (Quick), two third rounders (Pettis, Bailey), and a fourth round steal (Givens). He's also playing with a tight end that has the athleticism (and contract) of an All Pro.

At some point, we've got to be able to make an evaluation of this guy without constantly talking about how someone else is holding him back. This is the most talented group he's played with, and he needs to respond in kind. I suspect he will, and so far, he's off to a good start.
    ramsbruce and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yes, if rookies or young teammates are not doing their job and it's causing Bradford to struggle, then obviously that needs to be factored into the equation. I think most honest discussions on this board have acknowledged that Bradford has not been surrounded with great tools, and that has limited his ability to succeed.

But Sam now has two Pro Bowl caliber offensive lineman (LT, C), two capable starting linemen (RG, RT), and a former first round pick starting at left guard. He's playing with a group of receivers made up of a first rounder (Austin), second rounder (Quick), two third rounders (Pettis, Bailey), and a fourth round steal (Givens). He's also playing with a tight end that has the athleticism (and contract) of an All Pro.

At some point, we've got to be able to make an evaluation of this guy without constantly talking about how someone else is holding him back. This is the most talented group he's played with, and he needs to respond in kind. I suspect he will, and so far, he's off to a good start.
    Could not agree more. IMO I think he does have enough to see what he can be, without talking about who he does not have. The young guys will make mistakes but I think they will make big plays as well.

I'm ready to be very critical of Bradford this year, he has more then enough to play at a high level.

Here is a number for you, before the season started I think you gave the board the stat on where the Rams ranked when it came to YAC and it was not good. Sunday we had 180 YAC from what the guys on ESPN reported. That will be huge for us this year. Tavon did not get loose but Cook did.

I did not think Sam played great Sunday but the guys around him did. Lets see what happens this Sunday.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is a number for you, before the season started I think you gave the board the stat on where the Rams ranked when it came to YAC and it was not good. Sunday we had 180 YAC from what the guys on ESPN reported. That will be huge for us this year. Tavon did not get loose but Cook did.
    Through the first week of play, the Rams rank 5th in the league in YAC for receivers with 184. Hopefully this is a stat they can keep elevated, because it means (1) Bradford is hitting receivers in stride and (2) the team is now fielding a talented enough unit to be able to make some big plays after the catch and take some pressure off of the QB's shoulders.
    Rambos likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pedestrian is probably overselling him. This is a guy that NO ONE wanted as a vet free agent last spring and resigned in New England to a one-year, minimum salary. And yet through two games, he has 20 receptions and two touchdowns, and would have had a 47-yard touchdown pass had Brady not overthrown him.

People will point to this game as an example of how an elite QB can struggle without weapons, and I completely agree that a quarterback can only do so much on his own. But let's see if those same people will acknowledge that the play of an also-ran like Edelman is elevated because of who is throwing to him.

I know Brady has had guys like Gronkowski, Welker, and Moss to throw to over the more recent years, but it's as if people forget he was winning championships and putting up very efficient stats with David Givens, David Patten, Troy Brown, and Deion Branch earlier in his career.

Very well stated, Nick, and couldn't agree more with everything you said. I really think Bradford is going to have an excellent year, taking yet another step forward in his progression as a quarterback. And he's certainly going to have the opportunity to measure his skills against the league's elite, as the NFL has once again given us a ridiculous schedule.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think the Sam we saw sunday is a different Sam to the one we have seen in the past. That two play sequence of the play action fake TD to cook and then the two point conversion run was top tier quarterbacking

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123