Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Great win but.....

Great performance, we looked like champs tonight. However, in the same way that i cautioned against getting too upset last week, i make the same point this week, ie lets not overeact. Great win, but still preseason.

All the same, seeing the first string offensive line play well is very very encouraging. For the millionth time, given time to throw, bulger is devastating. Rev Ike is simple not coverable one on one by any #2 corner and The Big Boy is truly a man child out there in the open field. Hate to have to get in front of him and try to bring him down once he gets up a head of steam.

Wish manu hadnt dropped that perfect throw from bulger over the middle. That play will be open for us ALL year but he has to make the catch when it hits him in the hands.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Great win but.....

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Wish manu hadnt dropped that perfect throw from bulger over the middle. That play will be open for us ALL year but he has to make the catch when it hits him in the hands.
    Agreed. Apparently Manumaleuna can't catch a ball this year unless there's no one around him in a five yard radius. He had two catches tonight, and on both he was wide open with no one around him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Manu (TE), my blood pressure went to the danger area when he dropped that one.. I'd sit him down Monday and play him the ABC tape of Madden laughing and saying "Well, you gotta catch that!!". I was looking for him to pat his chest and acknowledge it was HIS fault. That ball was perfectly thrown. Bulger is vastly UNDER-rated. He does his job continually. I wish we could give him the protection that some NFL QBs enjoy.. His numbers would rival Peyton Mannings, I truly believe that and I've never been accused wearing rose-colored glasses.

Manu can run and he has terrific size, but he hasn't produced the way the Rams had hoped. It may be correctable, because he's doing some good things - outrunning DBs, running precise patterns. He just needs to close the show!!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Manu has made that catch a number of times before. It's a tough one coming directly over your head. Marshall used to run a route like that one too and made some great catches.

Awesome victory.

Anyone know why Fair wasn't back their for the kickoffs? It's not like they were testing Cason to see what he can do, or Harris for that matter. We were last in the league last year with those 2 handling the job. Were they looking to use Fair as a CB, which they did, so they weren't using him at KR???? Cuz in my opinion he's the only guy on this roster, assuming he can still move his arms, that has a chance to get past the 20.

And what is up with Macdonald on Punt Returns? I must have missed the later one he broke, but c'mon, he runs backwards half the time? That's inexcusable. Can Fair do both? Please? Think he'll be back within 3-4 weeks max????? I hope.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I like the way Hedgecock played in the second half. That TD may have secured him a job on this roster. He was around the ball on SP last week too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it on the roster as a TE. He has the size and the hands that Manu lacks.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Its Preseason And It Was The Lions,but They Did Look Very Good

RealRam is offline Registered User

Manumaleuna, he's regarded as a big/heavy (290) TE with soft hands.

I totally agree in that the pass he dropped tonight was right in his hands, a perfect toss.

Sure, the ball arriving right over your head may be somewhat difficult (and as we know, even the great receivers, Bruce, Holt, Ellard, etc., inexplicably miss some easy ones), but rest assured that Brandon -- though not necessarily eloquent in recognizing his error -- is the first to admit that he should have pulled that pass into the basket and scored another Rams TD!

This was a great win with very good timing. We needed it, came out prepared, and made it happen. It was not just because the Detroit Lions were not hungry or because they made mistakes.

Now let's go to work! :angryram:

If you can't catch a pass thrown over your head that hits both of your hands - dead center - you're not for this league.

And Bulger throws the most catchable passes...

He missed first base... there's no getting around it.

GameTime is offline Registered User

Im not ready to crucify i guy for dropping one pass in a preseason game. Faulk had a drop as well. Should he have caught it, yes. If that is the only thing we have to complain about after the game, I think we played very well, and should continue to praise the good things. How about Claiborne drilling kevin jones and getting the sack. That is one dude i dont want to get in front of. Who would win, S.Jackson or Claiborne?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    As is often the case with Manu, he goes to the ground with a whisper, and he seems to lose concentration on catching the ball when that whisper is within 5 feet of his ear.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime
    Im not ready to crucify i guy for dropping one pass in a preseason game. Faulk had a drop as well.
    True, but let's face it - Faulk's resumé allows him to drop one every now and then. Manu needs to make all the catches he can because, aside from one great catch last season, he hasn't really done anything.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

The last 4 years Manu has played in all 16 games, he has been a starter for the last 3 years. I have not seen much improvement over that time therefore I think he has reached his peek performance. I think Roland has better hands and will be our receiving TE.

Manus 2004 Stats:
    16 Games, 15 Starts, 15 passes for 174 yards and one touchdown.

Roland Stats:
    2002 (Oakland last fully healthy season)
    16 Games, 11 Starts, 27 receptions for 213 yards

1999 (Rams):
    16 Games, 15 Starts, 25 receptions for 226 yards with career-high six touchdowns

Smile Re: Great win but.....

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    True, but let's face it - Faulk's resumé allows him to drop one every now and then. Manu needs to make all the catches he can because, aside from one great catch last season, he hasn't really done anything.

That's what I'm talking about.. I'm agreeing with Nick way too much lately!

It's not one pass in PRE-season, it's a pattern. I'm not worried about Bruce or Faulk. They are proven commodities. But, Manu hasn't improved and his pattern of inconsistency CONTINUES, that's what makes it different. MANU is a giant and I think we should see him running over some 190lb Def Backs, but it rarely happens. This guy has more natural talent then Jeremy Shockey, but not the desire, I'm afraid. Is this another one of those "potential never being realized" players that drives you crazy.

I think Martz is such a visionary that he can see how this guy or that guy could change the team. Change the playing field, but you can't give desire to anyone. And possibly, that's why we seem to have so many extremely gifted players that don't live up to that potential. The Rams should start taking players with the eye of the tiger.. Guys that love to play and have produced and been on winning teams.. And less of the athletes that dazzle you in shorts. Make no mistake, for 300lbs, Manu can run! Madden said he short-armed that catch - meaning he was worried about taking a hit. A 300lb TE with alligator arms is not a good thing.

general counsel is offline Registered User

In fairness (since i started this), Manumanumliamuliamula made some huge huge catches for us in traffic last year, one in OT and one in the seattle comeback. He seems to do a lot better on the tough catches than the easy ones. My point on the post was that with all of our weapons, that route will have great frequency of being open, if manu makes the catch most of the time, we will get some very big plays out of it. Remember guys, once he gets loose in the secondary, manumamiliamula is a major load to bring down.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

General,

He SHOULD be a major load, but how many times does he run over someone (or just run through the tackle)?

I am impressed with his speed.. For him to get open at that size is something in itself.

I admit I can't spell his name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast