Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Great win shouldn't mask the officiating...

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Great win shouldn't mask the officiating...

If we'd lost that I'd be as pissed as I've ever been post-game, because we would have been out of sight but for some awful, awful work on the field from the replacement zebras.

There was a five-ten minute spell in the second half where a boatload of calls went against us. From a non-existent personal foul on RGIII (when he was clearly in bounds when hit, on a long third down that would have seen the Redskins punting - and ended with them getting seven) to the non-call for the hit on Bradford, to the call that said Jackson had fumbled (overturned) to needing Fisher to throw a flag before they realized they had to review the fumble anyway (with Shanahan claiming we should have been penalized a further 15 for throwing the flag!) to the non-td call on Jackson, leading to that little controversy...all in all, they had a horrible night.

The league really needs to get things sorted, because this crew was a mess from start to finish. I'm letting last week's clock thing go, but today would've been too much.

It's not spoiling my enjoyment of the win for a second, but I do hope the right people saw that and said 'Enough, we need to get things sorted, now.'

Because I don't want to lose a close one next week due to more of this amateur bs.
    Curly Horns and lordwhttgr like this.

lovetheramsnomatterw is offline Registered User

Re: Great win shouldn't mask the officiating...

I agree, so far the Rams have probably been the team that has been most affected by the replacement refs. First last week and now this week! Thank God we won this game and the Rams showed their new found mental toughness!

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

No question it was definitely amateur hour out there today. And it certainly seemed the deck was stacked against us for much of the game. But I think things evened out to a degree because the refs didn't call 3 plays that could have hurt us:

1) The hit by Jenkins on Fred Davis. No penalty. He led with the shoulder, got a piece of Davis' head and it would have been called by most officials. Can't see Jenkins mot being fined for this one.

2) The cheap shot by Ojinnaka on London Fletcher after the play was over in the 4th qtr. Uncalled for and refs clearly missed it.

3)The ending play involving Finnegan and the receiver from Washington. Finnegan instigated the ball being thrown at him. Classic case of ref missing the initial act and nailing a guy for the retaliation.

One thing is certain: the outcry over the refs thus far is NOTHING compared to what it will be when a game is actually decided on a horrendous missed call. Only a matter of time.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Skins Moss said: “I’m not going to be the one to say it. But if you were watching the game, you could tell. . . . There should have been something done earlier in the game to let both sides know this wasn’t going to happen throughout the game.”

Redskins veteran wide receiver Santana Moss said the confrontations between players after plays without drawing penalties “ended up being more a part of the game than the game itself.”

Haste is offline Registered User

Its pretty sad when you have Mike Peioria (sp?) even mentioning multiple times that the calls in the first half were bad.
    Nick likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Rams have had way too many game-impacting questionable calls in the first two games. They've been hurt and helped by them, so I'm neither going to cry about what might have been or feel guilty about getting an undeserved boost.

I'll be honest, though... I have a greater appreciation for the real refs after the last two weeks. It is clear to me now that they are, in fact, the best people out there for a tough and often thankless job.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Double post, sorry. [Still excited about the win!]
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-17-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    No question it was definitely amateur hour out there today. And it certainly seemed the deck was stacked against us for much of the game. But I think things evened out to a degree because the refs didn't call 3 plays that could have hurt us:

3) The ending play involving Finnegan and the receiver from Washington. Finnegan instigated the ball being thrown at him. Classic case of ref missing the initial act and nailing a guy for the retaliation.

One thing is certain: the outcry over the refs thus far is NOTHING compared to what it will be when a game is actually decided on a horrendous missed call. Only a matter of time.

Well, I did not see 1) or 2) but did review 3) several times. I honestly don't think Finnegan's push-off was enough of a violation to be considered a penalty.

Frankly, even if the NFL regular Refs would have been there at that game and time of the incident, when things were boiling hot (granted, perhaps they would have taken control of the game much earlier), they would not have called Finnegan for anything. In other words, they would have seen it as one of those "let them play" extensions of the rules book.

However, when Morgan lost his temper and threw the ball directly at Finnegan ... that one cannot, nor should not, be condoned. The line had to be drawn there and then, even if the Refs -- regulars or replacements -- had made earlier mistakes.

That's why WashSkins HC Shanahan was so disappointed at Morgan (yes, he did complain about something to the Refs while they were assessing the penalty but that was mostly lame frustration). And the Redskins players on the sideline, they knew it! It was the bonehead play of the day. And of course, Morgan knew it.

Yes, the replacement Refs are going through a very difficult time. They're obviously not as experienced or knowledgeable as the regulars. Teams and fans around the league are up in arms so to speak about the quality of their officiating. But give these Refs credit. They're trying their best and the players and coaches have accepted this provisional arrangement. It's like driving on an Interstate road at 65 mph with one of those smaller, thinner spare tires -- they're not meant for that kind of performance and could very well cause serious problems; but you've taken on the responsibility, and liability, of traveling that way.

That's how the NFL stands today. And it will surely try to go on with the games as scheduled, as best possible. No doubt: Refs are going to have a LOT of in-between game meetings!

As you said, it's only a matter of time before a game is decided on an infamous call. Let's keep in mind that even the regular Refs have had their share of such blunders, including playoffs.

Today ... the Rams won by virtue of staying in the game and fighting with renewed spirit. To me, that effort overshadows the questionable calls that took place against both teams and even the errors from both teams.

In the end, we prevailed with a memorable, hard fought victory. I love it!

-- --
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-17-2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Tyop
    thoey and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Yea that stretch that you mention i was screaming my head off it was getting out of hand and i had a bad feeling.But we hung in there and toughed it out and played through the bad calls.A true sign that we are taking the rights steps to be a winning team again

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I think it cost us vs the lions and it almost bit us here!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Great win shouldn't mask the officiating...

100% agree Ferter. These refs are getting out o hand with these bad calls. It seems every game of every week are having majorly bad calls or non calls in them.

shower beers is online now Registered User

I rarely ever complain about officiating in games. It's mostly based on what is seen by an individual, and the very nature of the concept leads to missed calls or poor judgment. I just chalk it up to being part of the game. However, this particular game is probably the worst I can remember.

The refs lets the teams take the game out of their hands. They seemed to second guess themselves multiple times throughout the game, leading to shaky self-confidence and a lack of respect from the coaches and players. It was like having substitute teachers out there. Sure you abide by the rules, but you also know you can get away with a lot more.

On the late hit penalties, they seemed to throw flags simply because the plays fit the profile of what a late hit looks like. They just don't have the experience to be monitoring all aspects of the play. In these plays, it was the players feet being in bounds when they took the hit. They saw a big hit on the sidelines, and threw the flag.

I won't go any further, but I think the lack of experience combined with the INTENSE scrutiny they are under in every game is leading to some poor calls out there. We need the real folks back in a hurry.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Well, I did not see 1) or 2) but did review 3) several times. I honestly don't think Finnegan's push-off was enough of a violation to be considered a penalty.
    One thing that I didn't see anyone mention about that play is that Finnegan was actually getting shoved as he was walking away. He gave a little shove back which happened to be in the helmet and I was thinking uh oh, that could be a penalty, then Morgan lost his temper threw the ball at Finnegan and it was a penalty Washington.

I actually thought Morgan was the one trying to draw the penalty with the initial shoves, but when he lost it and threw the ball at Finnegan, it was obvious that he was just having a strange emotional moment that cost him the reception he was celebrating.

Slug is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Well, I did not see 1) <...>
    1)

Rambos is offline Registered User

Your really going to hate my response to this video, but I think this is a legal hit and a catch and a fumble. Lets see if he gets a fine this week.
    awnryRam and rammmm like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast