general counsel is offline Registered User

Greatest linebackers in Rams history

In evaluating my all time greatest Rams team, linebacker is one position i typically struggle with. I believe that the answer is probably this:

mlb: Hacksaw Reynolds (or London Fletcher)
    olb: Isaih Robertson
    OLB: Les Richter

Other guys to consider include Jack Pardee and Kevin Greene (who i think of as an excellent pass rusher, but not really a great all around linebacker). By the time we got Maxie Baughan he was past his prime and Bill George was way past his prime by the time he played for the Rams.

I can never decide between Hacksaw and Fletcher and i suspect that i am a bit biased by my only personal childhood view.

I invite comment and criticims, and am very much aware that the majority of people on this board never saw Robertson or Reynolds play (and i believe that none of us have seen Richter play, but he was truly a superstar in his era so i dont see how he could be off the list).

ramming speed to all

general counsel

TheRammer Guest

Re: Greatest linebackers in Rams history

lol honestly the only two names on here I recognize is Greene and Fletcher... shows how young I am

Dwight Frye is online now Registered User

Oh yeah, I remember Isiah ... #58, right?

Don't remember Les, however.

I'd take Jack over London .... longevity if for no other reason. 10 years vs. what, two? I miss the loyalty from back then. Jeez, Slater was ... 21 years? Olsen 15. Youngblood 14. Different times I guess.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The Rams had a very good linebacking corps in the early to mid 80's in Carl Ekern, Jim Collins, Mike Wilcher and George Andrews. I remember them pretty well, as I grew up watching these guys. Carl Ekern was a solid LB who made the pro bowl once. Tragically, he was killed in a dune buggy accident shortly after his career ended. Collins was a pro bowler as well and I believe had like 185 tackles one year (I actually knew Collins- I went to high school with his sister). Mike Wilcher played on the outside and had 12 1/2 sacks one year. And Andrews went to Nebraska and was respectable for several years before an injury derailed his career.

I can't argue with Hacksaw, Isaiah Robertson or Richter. And allowing London Fletcher to leave remains one of the Rams biggest mistakes of the last 10 years.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Mike Jones! Ehhh...not really though.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Mike Jones! Ehhh...not really though.
    Lol he is the greatest.. He helped the rams big time to win the SB. Might not be a good LB but he is great in my book.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Not the greatest I'm sure but my favorite was Roman Phifer.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I thought Bob Brudzinski and Jim Collins were pretty good. But my all-time favorite was Isaiah Robertson, so I'd have to go with him.

RealRam is offline Registered User

We've had our share of excellent LBs, for sure. From underrated to Pro Bowlers to TV commercials characters. I remember Kevin Greene along with Coach Robinson in the late 80s ... was it for Burger King? We've enjoyed a great lineup of fine, strong linebackers. Here's a list of 10 that I can relate to, i.e., reaching to my earliest beginnings as a Ram fan in the early - mid 60s (except for Paul who played when I was still learning what American football meant).

Maxie Baughan (1966-70). BTW, GC, I'd say he was still in his prime when he joined the Rams.
    London Fletcher (1998-01)
    Kevin Greene (1985-92)
    Jack Pardee (1957-64; 66-70)
    Don Paul (1948-55)
    Myron Pottios (1966-70)
    Jack Reynolds (1970-80)
    Les Richter (1954-62)
    Isiah Robertson (1971-78)
    Jim Youngblood (1973-84)

Let's continue prepping Laurinaitis to make this group!

Okay, I confess! I reeally like this photo below, ca. 1968; besides, it shows LB Pottios right there (66).
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-21-2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Circa

Some visuals to remember some of our great LBs. Click on image:

Check out the agressiveness by Fletcher in last picture.

So it was a penalty. Sue me (him); we could afford this type of LB play back then, early 2000s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greatest linebackers in Rams history-maxie-baughan1.jpg   Greatest linebackers in Rams history-london-fletcher.jpg   Greatest linebackers in Rams history-don-paul.jpg   Greatest linebackers in Rams history-jim-youngblood1.jpg   Greatest linebackers in Rams history-london-fletcher1.jpg  

Last edited by RealRam; -02-21-2010 at 01:11 AM.

helorm341 Guest

London Fletcher is the only *great* LB I have ever seen play for the Rams, but then again I'm a St Louis fan in my 20s

I think James Lauraniatis will be there eventually! The kid already looks really solid in his first year.. I cant wait to see his progression these next few years.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Another Rams all-time bonehead move was to release Hacksaw Reynolds. They claimed he was no longer a top notch run stuffer.
    After his release, the whiners picked him up and he helps them to their first two SB wins. I'm not certain I will ever get over that bit of Rams stupidity.

Anyways, I'd go with Reynolds, over Fletcher in a greatest ever list. The rest of your list is spot on in my opinion.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

Another Rams all-time bonehead move was to release Hacksaw Reynolds. They claimed he was no longer a top notch run stuffer.
    After his release, the whiners picked him up and he helps them to their first two SB wins. I'm not certain I will ever get over that bit of Rams stupidity.

Anyways, I'd go with Reynolds, over Fletcher in a greatest ever list. The rest of your list is spot on in my opinion.

Wow! I was also thinking about Hacksaw. Rams ruled the Fortyniners throughout the 1970's with Hacksaw and the Rams finally making it to the Super Bowl against the Steelers to end the decade. Soon after Reynolds was traded to SF and the Fortyniners suddenly went from chumps to champs. Bonehead move by Rams for sure. Jack 'Hacksaw' Reynolds and Mike Jones the Rams All-Time greatest Linebackers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    The Rams had a very good linebacking corps in the early to mid 80's in Carl Ekern, Jim Collins, Mike Wilcher and George Andrews. I remember them pretty well, as I grew up watching these guys. Carl Ekern was a solid LB who made the pro bowl once. Tragically, he was killed in a dune buggy accident shortly after his career ended. Collins was a pro bowler as well and I believe had like 185 tackles one year (I actually knew Collins- I went to high school with his sister). Mike Wilcher played on the outside and had 12 1/2 sacks one year. And Andrews went to Nebraska and was respectable for several years before an injury derailed his career.

I can't argue with Hacksaw, Isaiah Robertson or Richter. And allowing London Fletcher to leave remains one of the Rams biggest mistakes of the last 10 years.
    Totally agree NJ. That trio of LBs in the mid 80s was great for the Rams. [BTW, for the record, Ekern's accident (on a Ridgecrest, CA. highway, 1990) was in a Jeep, not a dune buggy. Age 36.] True, Ekern was a very fine, solid LB. // And yes, losing Fletcher is one of the Rams baddest blunders ... ever.

Along with several others players, my son got Wilcher's autograph in Anaheim, 1988 right after the Rams defeated the Lions.

Carl Ekern (1976-88)
    Jim Collins (1981-88)
    Mike Wilcher (1983-90)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greatest linebackers in Rams history-carl-ekern1.jpg   Greatest linebackers in Rams history-carl-ekern.jpg   Greatest linebackers in Rams history-mike-wilcher1.jpg   Greatest linebackers in Rams history-mike-wilcher2.jpg