AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Greatest Loss of All Time

My new sig is dedicated to what I believe to be the greatest loss in Ram history: Super Bowl XIV.

For those who remember that day - it wasn't even supposed to be a game. The three time champion Steelers were going to crush the upstart Rams, who nudged their way into the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

In the end, the Steelers would win the day, but for the first three and one half quarters, it was anyone's game. A couple more breaks, and the Rams would have pulled off an upset that would have made the 1968 Jets and even the 2001 Patriots pale by comparison.

There is never joy in losing, but I think the Rams walked off the field with their heads held higher, with a greater sense of pride, than any losing team before or since.

The quote in my sig comes from a post-game article I found on line.

I can just see Jack... limping off the field... his broken lower leg throbbing... his uniform covered with dirt and grass stains... glancing at the cocky Terry Bradshaw and giving him a look that said... "we may not be walking off this field with a trophy, but you guys were the ones who felt fear today."

That's the pride the Rams need to find again.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: The Greatest Loss of All Time

i totally agree with you avenger, great post and quote from jack youngblood.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    My new sig is dedicated to what I believe to be the greatest loss in Ram history: Super Bowl XIV.

For those who remember that day - it wasn't even supposed to be a game. The three time champion Steelers were going to crush the upstart Rams, who nudged their way into the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

In the end, the Steelers would win the day, but for the first three and one half quarters, it was anyone's game. A couple more breaks, and the Rams would have pulled off an upset that would have made the 1968 Jets and even the 2001 Patriots pale by comparison.

There is never joy in losing, but I think the Rams walked off the field with their heads held higher, with a greater sense of pride, than any losing team before or since.

The quote in my sig comes from a post-game article I found on line.

I can just see Jack... limping off the field... his broken lower leg throbbing... his uniform covered with dirt and grass stains... glancing at the cocky Terry Bradshaw and giving him a look that said... "we may not be walking off this field with a trophy, but you guys were the ones who felt fear today."

That's the pride the Rams need to find again.
    You completely right I was there ,The Rams beat the steelers for three 1/2 quarters ... "AR" great post word for word is complete ... I had waited for years for that day and I was very happy the way they played , wthout winnning it was a great day in RAMS history ...
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -01-31-2006 at 04:21 AM.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

In many ways I am more attached to that team than to the GSOT edition. Making it to the Super Bowl was so satisfying after so many playoff losses in bad weather against Minnesota (if it wasn't snowing in Minnesota, there were mudslides in the Collisseum) and Dallas.

These guys kept on plugging, and it was the 9-7 edition with the backup quarterback that took us there. I was proud those guys for staying tight with what some thought was the greatest team of all time.

I also remember the game where Haden went down, the single greatest defensive performance (number-wise) ever
    . . . a 24-0 victory of the Seahawks, where the 'hawks were held to -8 total yards. Times have changed.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

ch, those were the good old days, i agree the GSOT was very exciting to watch and it was a fun time for rams fans but back in the day watching those guys scratch and claw to get sb14 was awesome,and they played one hell of a game for that 3+ quarters in sb14.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Interesting how the loss in SB14 is viewed by fans when pre-game expectations were not sky high as in SB36.

BTW - What is the point of this thread? It is ancient history and has nothing to do with Rams current events or the near future......Um please pardon the interuption. Just a little exercise in cynicism which equates to moklermanism here at the ClanRam.

I know....Bad Ferter.....very bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Interesting how the loss in SB14 is viewed by fans when pre-game expectations were not sky high as in SB36.

BTW - What is the point of this thread? It is ancient history and has nothing to do with Rams current events or the near future......Um please pardon the interuption. Just a little exercise in cynicism which equates to moklermanism here at the ClanRam.

I know....Bad Ferter.....very bad!!
    No, that's fine. Some people need simple concepts explained to them. I'm happy to oblige.

You see, the 1979-80 Rams team demonstrated that a team that lacks great talent accross-the-board can nonetheless reach great heights and nearly win it all if they play with toughness and without fear.

As the Rams move into a new era under a new coaching staff (and, as we look back at Super Bowls of the past, given that this is Super Bowl week), I thought it was a good time to remind Ram fans of that team, and what they stood for.

I hope that cleared things up. I typed really slow, just for you, Ferter.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I hope that cleared things up. I typed really slow, just for you, Ferter.
    Why, Thank you!!

I was so confused.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

"He who controls the present controls the past.
    He who controls the past controls the future."
    --George Orwell, 1984

While Aristotle did not think much of history as a topic, it is in reality a very important part of real life. In the case of football, the Rams are not an expansion team. When you put on the horns it means something more than putting on a cat head in Carolina.

It is important to be familiar with that team history. Embrace it if it is edifying, abandon it if it is pathetic.

In fact, the miserable failure of the Lions and Saints and Cardinals is in part attributable to the team's self-image, which stems partly from its history.

Rams history also means that we will never go more than two years without a major qb controversy.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Losing to the Forty Whiners (twice this year) are my nominations. To lose to such a sucky team, not to mention our main historical rival, just sickened me this year. I guess you have to live in California to understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

For me, there are two losses that are the most painful:

1978 NFC Championship Game: We lost 28-0 to the Dallass Cowgirls. That sealed my hate for the Cowgirls.

The Super Bowl 36 loss is still a horrific loss in my mind. The holding Patriots got away with murder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Um... I think the last two posts missed the point of this thread.

I was being ironic by pairing the words "greatest" and "loss." I wasn't asking what the worst loss of all time was.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Type even slower next time, I've taken too many blows to the helmet in past years.

I can't think of another "game" as you've given, but on a similar vein, with the loss of Trent Green in the preseason, everyone wrote our season off, but it brought onto the national spotlight the greatest Cinderella story of all time in Curt Warner's emergence from a store clerk to a MVP quarterback and Super Bowl win.
    Last edited by bigredman; -02-04-2006 at 06:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]