RamWraith is offline Registered User

Green's motor impresses Rams

Adeyanju injury earns him shot to start at right defensive end
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat
    ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis Rams know that they'll get nothing less than maximum effort out of defensive end Brandon Green.

Green is now the team's starting right defensive end because rookie Victor Adeyanju has been lost 3-to-4 weeks with a broken right forearm.

"Brandon plays, as we always say, with a great motor," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "Has great energy. He makes up for maybe his lack in size or speed, or any of those things, with the intangible quality of always playing full speed.

"He's hard to block because of that. He doesn't always match up as good as maybe a prototype defensive end, but he always creates an advantage for himself by staying after guys with great technique, and plays through the whistle. He never takes a play off."

At 6-foot-3, 264 pounds, Green is somewhat small by NFL standards for a defensive end.

"When you're a guy like me, everybody you're going against is bigger than you are," Green said. "You have to play pretty much the same way every week."

Green will be making the second start of his career. He started against the Arizona Cardinals last season at the Edward Jones Dome, and he'll be doing the same against the Cardinals this Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

He will be going against Cardinals left tackle Leonard Davis, a 6-foot-6, 365-pound behemoth.

"He's a big dude," said Green, who played his college football at Rice. "It's always a challenge, that's for sure. I played against himself my freshmen year in college when he was at Texas. We've seen each quite a few times out there."

Green said the key to getting past Davis is not letting him get his hands on you.

"There's no defensive end in the league who is as big as he is," Green said. "Everybody pretty much has the same obstacles as far as trying to get around him. You have to play fast.

"If you sit around and wait for him, he'll just punch you to death. He probably has the strongest punch of anyone in the league. It's definitely a challenge."

Green said Arizona quarterback Matt Leinart, who is a left-handed thrower, also presents a challenge.

"They (left-handed QBs) normally want to move to your right and their left a lot more, so that's one thing you just have to be careful of," Green said. "It changes a lot because you know he can see you in your rush so you have to control the edge."

Green was inactive for three of the first five weeks this season. His role increased after Anthony Hargrove skipped two practices and then was traded to Buffalo on Oct. 16.

Green has 15 tackles and half a sack on the season.

"He has physical skills, but he adds to the part of the game that you can't really put down as a measurable," Linehan said. "That's just a lot of heart. That's what we're going to need down the stretch. Guys playing the way Brandon plays."

Rookie defensive tackle Claude Wroten will move to defensive end to help spell Green.

"He's been a tackle primarily, but he's done pass rush things from the end spot," Linehan said. "You'll see Claude playing both inside (at tackle) and outside at end this week."

Wroten said he played one game at defensive end during his two seasons at LSU. He's played some defensive end this season when the Rams have gone to three-man defensive fronts.

"It will be an easy transition for me," Wroten said. "There's more space out there, and you have to make more reads than at defensive tackle.

"Playing defensive end, you have to be more aware of the quarterback than you would if you are playing inside. On the inside, you get more double-teams. On the outside, you have to be more of a finesse guy."

Wroten's playing time has steadily increased in recent weeks as he's worked on becoming a better run stuffer.

"I've been slowly but surely getting more and more playing time, and this is an opportunity for me to get even more," Wroten said.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Green's motor impresses Rams

How good could this monster Leonard Davis be? 6'6"- 365 lbs and the Cards have a lousy running game??? All I hear is how bad the O-line of the Cards is.
    Seems like they should be able to run to this guys side with some success.
    :x

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

This is exciting being able to see Green start again and Wroten play some end. I really believe these two guys have the ability to be starters in this league if they can be consistent. Sunday could possibly be a breakout game for one of these two players.

GSOT Guest

Honestly Green should have been starting all of last year and all of this year. Every time he takes the feild he out plays the guy in front of him.. IT MAKES ME SICK. Look for Green to out play, out hustle, and plain run by the slob known as lenard davis.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

green reminds me a lot of brian young.. what was young, a fifth round pick for the rams in 2001??? he was never suppose to outplay our 1st rounders but ended up starting many games for us...

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I don't want to cast a shadow over this young man, who I like a great deal, but I would point out that a 265lb end may not help our rush defense. It might not become apparent this week, against a Cards team that has it's problems, but It'll be interesting to see.

You could say of course, that it couldn't possibly get any worse...............................

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

to be honest, the rams run defense is bad full stop, so Green cant really make it worse

what Green might give us is a bit of extra pass rush. pressurising a young QB is the way to go, and with Little getting all the attention on the othe side green could do some damage

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Personally I like these high energy, high motor type of guys.

Jared Allen, Chiefs...6'6"-270 lbs
    Grant Wistrom.... 6'4"- 272 lbs
    Brandon Green...6'3"- 264 lbs

Although Green is slightly smaller than Allen and Wistrom I can see him having success in the NFL. Heart and desire are priceless.

edickerson29 Guest

YA RIGHT! Green gets pushed around at the point of attack vs thre RUN and can't get of his block, But he is a big motor guy.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I wonder why he wears smaller pads compaired to your average D line man. I think he could run circles around Davis.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey