Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Green's visit stirs excitement

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/05/2008

With all respect to kicker Josh Brown and offensive guard Jacob Bell, no free-agent visit has stirred up as much buzz in the Gateway City this year as the arrival of quarterback Trent Green.

When word spread of his impending visit to St. Louis, 80-year-old grandmothers, wives, and any Rams football fan old enough to remember 1999 got excited.

"Itís kind of neat," Green told the Post-Dispatch late Wednesday afternoon as he arrived at Rams Park for his visit. "I did get a call from a couple of my high school friends that still live in town, just telling me kind of what was going on. Itís very flattering, obviously."

St. Louis is Greenís hometown. He played at Vianney High. And he was with the Rams in 1999 and 2000. Were it not for a knee injury in Game 3 of the í99 preseason, Kurt Warner may have never gotten off the bench in St. Louis.

But then-San Diego safety Rodney Harrison took out Greenís left knee with a questionable hit on Aug. 28. The then-obscure Warner stepped into the lineup. And the rest is St. Louis sports history.

Green missed the entire í99 season. After spending the 2000 season as Warnerís backup, starting five times when Warner was injured, Green was traded to Kansas City in the spring of 2001.

Two teams, two Pro Bowls, and more than 22,000 passing yards later, Green is considering a return to the Rams as a 37-year-old free agent. Recently cleared to play after suffering his second serious concussion in two years, Green wants to continue playing.

"Itís funny how all this kind of works back in circles," Green said. "You look at what happened the first time I came through. I obviously wish the injury had never happened, and I wouldíve been here this whole time. But the injury happened, Kurt came in and played well, and I went over and played well in Kansas City."

Green grew up in suburban Oakville. His father died of a heart attack 2Ĺ years ago. His mother now lives in northwest Arkansas, not far from Fayetteville. Greenís sister lives in Fayetteville, and his brother lives in Kansas City. But Green still has an aunt and uncle in St. Louis, not to mention his agent, Jim Steiner.

Green already has visited New Orleans, and has received calls from Green Bay and the New York Giants. But he concedes there is a hometown tug when deciding where to play in 2008.

"There definitely is," Green said. "The familiarity of the town. The fact that this would put my wife and I close to both our families. Al (Saunders) being back; knowing the offense the way I do. Terry Shea. Thereís a lot of familiar faces."

Saunders is the Ramsí new offensive coordinator; Shea is the Ramsí new quarterbacks coach. Both were in Kansas City when Green enjoyed his greatest NFL success. Saunders squired Green around Rams Park on Wednesday, giving him a refresher course on the facility. As they walked past the outside of the Ramsí locker room, Green looked up at poster-sized picture of himself on the wall _ dropping back to pass in a 1999 Rams uniform.

The sight of the picture, which wasnít up a few days ago, brought out the trademark Green smile. "That was pre-Rodney," Green said, pointing to his left knee on the photo.

It was a vintage "way we were" moment.

"Iím trying to be as impartial as I can," Green said. "Trying to making the best decision for whatís good for the family and my career. Opportunity to win, and all those things. So Iím trying to take the emotion out of it, although it is very difficult. Because I do think fondly of the city and the fans here. And I have great memories of the organization. All those things weight into it."

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Green's visit stirs excitement

given the fact that Green has worked with Saunders and knows the system and is a legit starting QB in the NFL, what happens if Bulger struggles for a few games ? I know Bulger has a so/so approval rating with the fans and could this cause problems with Green standing right there and ready to play. I back Bulger 100% but I know there are some who don't and of course this is a moot point if he decides to go elsewhere.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm somewhat skeptical of this possible signing as he's very much in danger of being concussed again, and if he has to play any major time in the regular season, I don't think he'll last. If we sign him, I think we need to keep a third QB on the active roster.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    given the fact that Green has worked with Saunders and knows the system and is a legit starting QB in the NFL, what happens if Bulger struggles for a few games ? I know Bulger has a so/so approval rating with the fans and could this cause problems with Green standing right there and ready to play. I back Bulger 100% but I know there are some who don't and of course this is a moot point if he decides to go elsewhere.
    Talk about things going in circles - Kurt Warner replaces Trent Green due to injury, Marc Bulger replaces Kurt Warner due to injury, what if Trent Green replaces Marc Bulger due to an injury and is successful? Does that mean we would have to bring back Kurt Warner in a year or so

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32 View Post
    Talk about things going in circles - Kurt Warner replaces Trent Green due to injury, Marc Bulger replaces Kurt Warner due to injury, what if Trent Green replaces Marc Bulger due to an injury and is successful? Does that mean we would have to bring back Kurt Warner in a year or so
    sure why not, bring them all back in 09, we can have a 10 year reunion of the GSOT.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I'm somewhat skeptical of this possible signing as he's very much in danger of being concussed again, and if he has to play any major time in the regular season, I don't think he'll last. If we sign him, I think we need to keep a third QB on the active roster.
    Yep, if we sign him, they can't roll out that gladiator helmet fast enough.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'm going to be scared to death every time Green drops back to throw if we get him, lol.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Was and could be.

Green "was" a legit starting QB and "could be" a very good back-up for BULGER.

If we bring him into the mix hopefully he doesn't set foot on the field at all.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I like Green, I hope we sign him. But if we do I agree with TekeRam we need a 3rd QB on the active roster.

Renee Rogers is offline Registered User

What would we do with Berlin? Practice Squad??

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Renee Rogers View Post
    What would we do with Berlin? Practice Squad??
    3rd string; practice squad; cut him. It's all the same.

However, in this particular situation, unless a draft pick is used on a QB, leave Berlin as the 3rd string, as an injury to Bulger will be quickly followed by an injury to Green.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Look, it isn't up to us to worry about if a player is physically healthy to play or not. That's up to the doctors, front office, and more importantly the player himself. If he wants to play, and we sign him, so be it.

I think with all the turmoil from a P R standpoint that has happened with this team and city, to have a hometown boy who got a really bad (no pun intended) break the last time he was here, with the class that he showed going through the whole thing, to wind his career down in his hometown is a very good thing.

Sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Look, it isn't up to us to worry about if a player is physically healthy to play or not. That's up to the doctors, front office, and more importantly the player himself. If he wants to play, and we sign him, so be it.

I think with all the turmoil from a P R standpoint that has happened with this team and city, to have a hometown boy who got a really bad (no pun intended) break the last time he was here, with the class that he showed going through the whole thing, to wind his career down in his hometown is a very good thing.

Sign him.
    C'mon Tx, it's a business,it's not about the player but about the team,that is what your going to hear,I agree with you,I think it would be a good PR move and also a good story not to mention i think it's a good fit.it's ok as a fan to step outside of the team box if you will and look at it from a individual and personal standpoint.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Anyone have an update on this? Before all the crap with Bruce went down this was, I thought, an obvious pickup for the Rams. I would still like to see him come in and add some insurance--yes, even with his concussions. However, I'm not going to be terribly thrilled about losing Bruce, not signing Green and having a guy like Kennison come in because he'll sign a minimum wage contract.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Lawrence Phillips and Eddie Kennison being selected in the first round may have been just as bad as the DLew and Arch combination.

I refuse to throw Pickett in there. I thought he played very well for the Rams.

Anyway, I agree mokler. Not happy with the Bruce scenario but Green would be cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-06-2008, 03:44 AM