TitanJeff is offline Registered User

Greetings from goTitans.com

I'm from over at your F2FA affiliate this week - goTitans.com. We invite all to come over and scout the competition. I've know Dez for a long time. He's a good guy who has helped out my site more than once which I think may indicate he feels some pity towards me for Dyson coming up a yard short. But I digress...

Here's a quick overview of the game from a Titans fan perspective:

1. We're young at the corners. Though we have talent there, we have a combined 11 starts between the two. Woolfolk is a first-round pick who has been hurt much of his early career. Beckham is inconsistent though has shown flashes. I think Beckham and rookie Pacman Jones will alternate on Sunday. Covering the Rams WRs will be the biggest challenge for the Titans on Sunday. The key will be generating a big pass rush so those speedy guys you have don't have time to get the big separation. The Titans DL is young but was very effective last week. It appears the Rams OL has had some problems so a huge key to the game is getting pressure on Bulger.

2. The Titans have to keep the ball away from the Rams offense. OC Norm Chow has put in a fast-paced offense designed to get the ball out quickly. You'll see a lot of formations Sunday with RBs and TEs out wide. There will be a lot of shifting and motion before the snap with the idea being to keep the defense off-balanced. But I think the key will be running the football for the Titans. Chris Brown and Travis Henry must get the running game established, milk the clock and push the ball into the endzone. The Titans have only two offensive TDs so far this season that red zone scoring has been a problem. FGs won't get it against the Rams who will put up the points.

3. Little will get a rookie blocking him Sunday. Michael Roos is a second-round pick who has played very well so far but may need a TE beside him to handle the load. The Titans kept in Travis Henry often last week to slow down the pass rush which removed a weapon from the offense.

4. The Titans have been very inconsistent to this point on defense. They looked flat in Pittsburgh but very intense last Sunday against the Ravens. Tackling was very poor the first game against a fast RB which means Faulk might be very effective. The screen pass killed the Titans in their first game which, best I remember, is something the Rams have done well using in the past. Titans DT Haynesworth was the key to the Titans defense last Sunday but he is questionable against the Rams with a knee sprain. He is a key to the success of the Titans D on Sunday.

5. Stopping the big play will be very important for the Titans. They can't afford to go down by two TDs because it takes them out of their offensive game plan and it doesn't appear the Titans WRs are effective when defenses pull back their safeties to defend the deep pass. Chow wants to stay in his gameplan, keep the game close, and give the Titans a chance to wear down the Rams and win it late.

Of course, turnovers are always key. The young Titans must avoid mistakes if they have a chance on Sunday.
    We go into this game with a number of guys hurting.

Re: Greetings from goTitans.com

Welcome back Jeff.

Everyone, get over there and stirr up some talk, its very quiet this week.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Allow me to explain the quiet.

Ram fans are a little nervous about this one. I think we pretty much all expect a win, but there's a growing feeling that the Rams really need a BIG win to get on track.

If the offense turns in another mediocre performance, Ram fans won't be happy.

By the same token, if the Rams light up the scoreboard, but the defense regresses, the fans will not be thrilled.

I think this is going to be the first blowout for the Rams in a long while.

The Titans have a lot of holes, and are coming in banged up.

The Rams will be fired up for their home opener, and want to prove they can put together a complete game.

I've picked the score at Rams 34 Titans 13.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Avenger maybe you where on to something in a early post, practice and run the screen play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Avenger maybe you where on to something in a early post, practice and run the screen play.
    Based on my observations, the Titans defense gets torched with the reverses and screens more than any team I watch (or maybe I just remember it more). You'd think it would be because the defense is young and they are trying not disciplined enough to stay at home but our LBs have solid experience.

I still fear Faulk out of the backfield. I think hitting him in the flat will give the Titans fits. Is Faulk still as effective coming out of the backfield?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I still fear Faulk out of the backfield. I think hitting him in the flat will give the Titans fits. Is Faulk still as effective coming out of the backfield?
    1 Hour Ago 05:44 PM
    Well so far he hasn't been used much in that role. But I agree that we shuold use more passes in the flat to at least get the passing game going, and slow down the blitz.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TitanJeff
    Based on my observations, the Titans defense gets torched with the reverses and screens more than any team I watch (or maybe I just remember it more). You'd think it would be because the defense is young and they are trying not disciplined enough to stay at home but our LBs have solid experience.

Isn't Sirmon out for you guys? That's going to hurt.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampete is offline Registered User

i read somewhere this week that peter sirmon OLB is out this week and possibly more with a knee injury...

i believe the rams went out to get him couple of years ago but sirmon decided to stay where he started...

their front seven looked mighty tough last week and if they play up to that level this weekend, martz and bulger may be in for a rude awakening...

if haynesworth, the DT, doesn't play then the anchor of their front seven will be compromised but they still have keith bullocks, a great LB in my book...

the key to the rams defeating the titans will be in the turnover column...if bulger hands out balls like charity gifts more than twice in this game i think the rams are in deep sludge...i'm thinking that marmie has to become more aggressive early on and blitz more often than he did in the 'zona game. mcnair may be hurting from past injuries to his shoulder and chest but given time he is on par with mcnabb...

my prediction: rams 26 titans 21

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    ...i'm thinking that marmie has to become more aggressive early on and blitz more often than he did in the 'zona game.
    I think we would be well served to blitz more often than we have so far this year. If we had blitzed more last week it wouldn't have been so close. Let's face it, our secondary is getting gashed at will. If we can get some blitzing pressure in the QB's face we stand a much better chance of disrupting the opponents passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    I think we would be well served to blitz more often than we have so far this year. If we had blitzed more last week it wouldn't have been so close. Let's face it, our secondary is getting gashed at will. If we can get some blitzing pressure in the QB's face we stand a much better chance of disrupting the opponents passing game.
    of course, blitzing entails some amount of strategizing...you wouldn't want to blitz every down nor would you do it on 3rd and less than 4yds...

martz made a good comment regarding blitzing in that they didn't want to compromise giving up the homerun by blitzing when both of your starting corners were out of the lineup during periods of last weekends game...i'm hoping the injury bug in the secondary doesn't show itself up again this time around...

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

We cant afford anymore injuries at The corners.Its always something that keeps us from being a complete team.
    Man I'm sick of the bleeding.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

bongo59 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Isn't Sirmon out for you guys? That's going to hurt.
    Sirmon practiced today. Haynesworth did not but he says he is going to play as well. Roby will play, Fuller is the only one out for Sun. Blitzing McNair is usually futile. We just faced the two best D's in the league. The Rams really dont bring anything new to the D table. The issue will be what can you do to us on D. We know we are going to give you fits on O. Just ask the Ravens. Ed Reed said Chows formations killed thier 46 front all day. Mac also throws on 3 and 5 step drops.........no 7 steps..........he has not been touched all yr and he is very healthy.............should be fun but we expect a shoot out...................Rams will find a very feisty team for their opener.............
    Last edited by bongo59; -09-23-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Even if Sirmon is limited, Rocky Boiman is an experienced LB who stepped in and was effective when Sirmon has been hurt before. The loss of Fuller at the nickel is tough because I expect Martz to spread things out and force the Titans to stay in the nickel. Michael Waddell will likely play the nickel and should do well since he got a lot of work there in camp and the preseason.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Maybe I will be nice after the game.

Right now I can't stand the titans.

:tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by bongo59
    Sirmon practiced today. Haynesworth did not but he says he is going to play as well. Roby will play, Fuller is the only one out for Sun. Blitzing McNair is usually futile. We just faced the two best D's in the league. The Rams really dont bring anything new to the D table. The issue will be what can you do to us on D. We know we are going to give you fits on O. Just ask the Ravens. Ed Reed said Chows formations killed thier 46 front all day. Mac also throws on 3 and 5 step drops.........no 7 steps..........he has not been touched all yr and he is very healthy.............should be fun but we expect a shoot out...................Rams will find a very feisty team for their opener.............
    true...pass blitzing against a 3 step drop is usually futile..but then run blitzes may help against brown and henry...

am surprised sirmon is set to start...if that's what you hinted at...i thought he had a serious knee sprain...good for him...

here's to a great game!